Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCain linked to group in Iran-Contra affair and terrorism.

Baculus

I would like to hear from a supporter of McCain why his past seems to matter little to them, and why is doesn't seem pertinent, especially in light of the attacks on the Obama - Ayers connection.

Most likely I won't get much of an answer. In 2004, I was also soap-boxing on the subject of Bush's father having ties to Nazi Germany, and his supporters didn't care at that time, either.

All in all, Koolblue is probably correct.

Since the McCain campaign appear to be continually tie Obama and Ayers together, I think McCain's background needs to be examined as well.

It is known that a contributor and friend of McCain's, Carl H. Lindner Jr, has ties to Colombian death squads and a terrorist group, the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia. Mr. Lindner was indicated by the US government for helping to fund this organization and was ordered to pay a fine. (Who knows why he didn't spend time in jail...)

So, here we have a man that ACTIVELY supports a group that is on the US list of terror groups and has DIRECT connections to McCain.

And his campaign has the nerve to talk about Obama "palling" around with terrorists?

Then I read this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081007/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_iran_contra_5;_ylt=AqQmf0X6NoY5CUUoCUVigUbBF4l4

A portion of the article:

"In the 1980s, McCain served on the advisory board to the U.S. chapter of an international group linked to ultra-right-wing death squads in Central America.

The U.S. Council for World Freedom aided rebels trying to overthrow the leftist government of Nicaragua. That landed the group in the middle of the Iran-Contra affair and in legal trouble with the Internal Revenue Service, which revoked the charitable organization's tax exemption.

The council created by retired Army Maj. Gen. John Singlaub was the U.S. chapter of the World Anti-Communist League, an international organization linked to former Nazi collaborators and ultra-right-wing death squads in Central America. After setting up the U.S. council, Singlaub served as the international league's chairman."

McCain actually SAT ON THE COUNCIL for this organization.

We have long known of American right-wing connection to terrorists. I became politically aware during the 80's and during the height of the Iran-Contra affair, and seeing right-wing hero Oliver North under investigation for his role in Iran-Contra (which funded former Somozas and terrorists, the Contras, as well as drug running). The Right likes to talk about "terrorists," while actively supporting their own brand of authoritarian terrorists.

I had said this before: It is a mistake for the McCain camp to keep mentioning Ayers, because McCain himself has skeletons in the closet that are lurking around.

Did any of them try to blow up the capital, NY Police headquarter, and the Pentagon? No...

I don't think Palin would have an opinion on Iran contra. But seeing as how McCain was in congres and then the Senate during that period, and how closely he is linked to it, I would imagine he would have some opinions. I think it would be legitimate to ask McCain is he thinks the Reagan administration made mistakes, and what were those mistakes. Was this a proper use of the CIA? etc. It could make for a stimulating conversation and at the same time it would give McCain a chance to demonstrate his knowledge.

I would venture that Palin knows very little about the subject.

In regard to McCain, Arthur B. Culvahouse had knowledge of the government's activities to support the Contras since he was a member of the Reagan's intelligence advisory committee during the 80's.

Culvahouse was also the man who actually "vetted" Palin as the VP pick for the McCain campaign, since was head of the search for the VP candidate.

Did any of them try to blow up the capital, NY Police headquarter, and the Pentagon? No...

First of all, I don't see how that makes a difference. Why should it matter WHERE these actions were happening? Why would it be OK to support terrorists in other nations? Isn't that exactly why we were supposedly involved in the War on Terror?

Unless you think it is OK to support death squads in other nations and to bring import cocaine onto American streets....

Second of all, there is information coming out that the efforts in "South America" were being directed here, in the US. Case in point, Oliver North's connections with FEMA, and his admittance that FEMA had conducted exercises that simulated a FEMA takeover of the US government. There are authoritarian tinges involved here, and more so then simply the support of right-leaning death squads.

And not to mention the large amounts of cocaine that was being brought into THIS NATION by federally paid individuals.

It is funny the wars now are a result of previous American "hands off" involvement, I have to think if the us pulled out before the issued was resolved this time in 10-20 years this could all be happening again

Uh, last time America was "hands off" was the 30's. And not completely even then.

He probably doesn't believe that. :)

It's possible that they could have done that.

Really, you guys come up with the weirdest attitudes. Lol, you must be crying over the fact that Obama has connections with Ayers but tried to tone it down by saying that Ayers wasn't actively a terrorist at the time.

Still, if Obama isn't coming up with this story...it's not credible.

It's possible that they could have done that.

Really, you guys come up with the weirdest attitudes. Lol, you must be crying over the fact that Obama has connections with Ayers but tried to tone it down by saying that Ayers wasn't actively a terrorist at the time.

Still, if Obama isn't coming up with this story...it's not credible.

I am sorry, but your response makes zero sense.

Why is discussing this "weird"? In fact, if anyone has a "weird" attitude, it is you. You dismiss death squads, and yet, want to talk about Obama and Ayers.

It is "weird" to think that American-support death squads in other nations have no significance. It is "weird" to think that even discussing this has little significance. It is weird to think that we shouldn't even care about this subject, which is your implication that I read between the lines.

It is the EXACT same attitude that Reagan supporters had: "Who cares if the Contras are killing a bunch of poor indians in Nicaragua."

And who is "crying"? If anyone has made a "crying post" this post is an example. Instead of discussing the subject at hand, you turn it into...well, whatever point you are attempting to make.

THAT is weird.

You dismiss death squads, and yet, want to talk about Obama and Ayers.

Wish you would have never said that. Did I even dismiss death squads? Show me one post that would validate your statement.

And for the rest of the post you made, it's all jumbo gumbo - just calm down a little there. Alright, Baculus? You sound like you were crying too when you were explaining about Reagan supporters doing bad things. Lol.

Wish you would have never said that. Did I even dismiss death squads? Show me one post that would validate your statement.

And for the rest of the post you made, it's all jumbo gumbo - just calm down a little there. Alright, Baculus? You sound like you were crying too when you were explaining about Reagan supporters doing bad things. Lol.

You're not actually 18 yet are you?

In South America.

How is that worse than trying to kill innocent people in our country?

The fact that one of them happened 40 years ago, and one of them was ongoing at the time?

The fact that one "association" involves Person 1 being in the same room as Person 2, 40 years after Person 2 did something illegal, for the purpose of providing charitable funding for the education of inner city children, whereas the other "association" involved Person X meeting Person Y for the purpose of planning and supporting terrorism?

Just some thoughts.

Archived