Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Difference between Joe Gibbs, and Jim Zorn?

Metaldrumz

Joe Gibbus Maximus won us our 3 Lombardis

Joe Gibbs 2.0 (Any similarity to Joe Gibbs Vista version is coincidental) Had us in the playoffs, ended the cowpoke winning streak against us, and built the foundation.

Jay Z has started off nice and is still a work in progress. And a healthy O- line competant Defense doesn't hurt.

Don't be premature, Children of the Zorn

He also had the balls to match that 1/2 line.

If last year's team would have gone for it, they would have failed, and then lost the game, and we would have been crying not about Gibbs' balls but about another blown lead.

Sometimes you have to know the team you are coaching. Gibbs is not in the HOF because he's stupid. He made mistakes, but he also had a lot more to deal with last year than Zorn has had to this year. And God Willing, it stays that way.

Fact: Coach Gibbs won 3 SBs with three different QBs - the only Redskins SB wins.

Fact: Coach Gibbs is a HOFer.

Fact: Under Coach Gibbs II the Redskins corrected the lopsided Cowboys rivalry and provided great moments like the Monday night Miracle.

Fact: Coach Gibbs guided this team through the emotional turmoil of ST's untimely death with a return to the playoffs.

Fact: Coach Gibbs returned the Skins to the playoffs twice after only being there one other time since his departure in '92.

Fact: The majority of this team was assembled on his watch and he saw something special in JC which looks to be paying off.

Fact: I see the same clowns...errr screen names... taking shots at him every chance they get. I will chalk it up to 1. Youth or 2. Lack of any football knowledge.

Perhaps Coach Gibbs was a bit lost in the new NFL, but he righted the Redskins ship and with Coach Zorn at the helm, the Skins can return to football glory.

Compare coaches. Make constructive criticism. Do not take shots at the Coach that has given the majority of his professional life to make this franchised one of the storied ones of the NFL.

:applause::applause:

Very well said! I don't see the point of celebrating the new coach by bashing the last one. I love Zorn and can only hope He can do what Gibbs has done.

Compare coaches. Make constructive criticism. Do not take shots at the Coach that has given the majority of his professional life to make this franchised one of the storied ones of the NFL.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

This get's "Post of the Thread" from me. I will never defend some of the bone headed moves that Gibbs made in 2.0, and I personally think that the game passed him by a little bit, but there is no question that he did something that no other person could have done when he got here in 2004: Restored respectability immediately to a struggling franchise.

Uh, the team had meetings and sat down with Gibbs more than once during his second tenure to tell him to start playing for the win. He rarely did and it seemed like we'd do something a little bit, then he'd go away from it again and we'd play tight AGAIN.

GIbbs II wasn't an utter failure but please, you're comparing Gibbs I to Zorn not really being honest about Gibbs second tenure.

I will give credit to Gibbs for building an excellent foundation of players and togetherness (aside from the odd agendas against certain players which I don't think was on him as much as on coordinators) but let's stop acting like it's sacrilegious to compare two coaches.

Portis and Campbell were two of Gibbs most significant moves and you can't argue that at all. Won't argue it.

Stop talking smack about Coach Joe Gibbs. He built this team and taught them character. The Washington Redskins and their fans owe a lot for what he has done, three Super Bowl victories, and what he continues to do. :ramsuck:

HTTR

I respect both coaches. We're just use to a more conservative approach to play calling.

Calling the play on fourth down was risky, but come on. We been running all day on the Iggles. I respect Zorn even if we didn't make a first down.

Zorn trusts his players to make plays when necessary and that is going to bring a whole new dynamic for this team.

I really can't understand why people continue to make this comparison, barely an hour after a win of this magnitude. This is an off season discussion for me, if it gets discussed at all. We have just beaten two NFC East rivals on the road back to back. We should be enjoying the win, not continuing to try to make some kind of "point" about a former coach. What is the point anyway? Why are some people so hell bent on trying to show Gibbs up? Can't you just move on now, and be grateful for the history Gibbs gave us, and the team that he put together for us right here and now.

I give Joe Gibbs props for recognizing that his passion for the game as a coach was no longer there and stepping down a year before he had to for the good of the franchise. Joe had a magnificent run in a different era of NFL football.

Zorn is quirky and passionate. I had no idea he would show such emotion based on his training camp interviews. But that's what's great about him; he's hard to read or predict. He does play to win and I bet he actually looked when Suisham was kicking those long field goals.

I've noticed how seemingly every offensive player says that they appreciate having the "opportunity" to show what they can do. There's something special brewing in the Redskins franchise. It's scary to think how much we would be dominating these games if not for a few glaring mistakes (penalties). And was it ever Confirmed the Randal El was actually touched on that one play?

Gibbs built team. Zorn is winning with it and is a great coach . Move on. Why be bitterto the guy who brought guys like Portis, Campbell and Cooley?

Nobody is bitter, and the fans still love and admire Joe Gibbs. God Bless him for helping to bring this group of players to Washington. That being said, the team now has a coach who plays to win, rather than playing not to lose, and the fans LOVE IT. Let's face it....Gibbs had the same players, but he held this team back with conservative play-calling (the entire world knew on first down it was gonna a run up the middle!) .

I will Guarantee you will win more ball games this way!!! Keep the ball out of the other teams hands!! How many times have the 2 and under minute comebacks come back to get the skins!!!

Yea one day this will bite zorn in a game but look at how many he will win doing it!!!!

I'm with you.....I'd rather lose a game by playing to win, rather than losing a game by playing it too safe, and playing not to lose. Not only would Gibbs have punted with 2:38 on the clock, the Eagles would have driven down the field and WON this game as a result. It would have been a typical Gibbs loss from the past 3 seasons....a game that had the Skins outplaying the other team in ALL AREAS except for the scoreboard and COACHING.

Gibbs - during his first stint with the Skins was awesome. Had 4 superbowl appearances, and won 3 of them.

However, during his second stint he was clearly cluessless on how the game had evolved - specifically, the offense. He still managed to get us to the playoffs.

Hail Skins!

I really can't understand why people continue to make this comparison, barely an hour after a win of this magnitude. This is an off season discussion for me, if it gets discussed at all. We have just beaten two NFC East rivals on the road back to back. We should be enjoying the win, not continuing to try to make some kind of "point" about a former coach. What is the point anyway? Why are some people so hell bent on trying to show Gibbs up? Can't you just move on now, and be grateful for the history Gibbs gave us, and the team that he put together for us right here and now.

They are clowns. Not true fans. Dissing Gibbs would be like the Bulls dissing MJ to this day for how he did with the Wizards, or the Lakers dissing Magic for coming back out of retirement and not playing his best or the Cowboys fans still dissing Landry for the end of his coaching career.

'

These clowns are not real fans.

Don't forget guys that this is Gibbs team also. From coaches on down Gibbs put this team together. don't forget also how much grief we gave him for picking JC with a trade up. Also don't forget the horrible luck he had with injuries, especially in the OL which for his offense to work needs to do well. How about the death of the best safety in football...RIP ST. The man had everything thrown at him and he still managed to get us in the playoffs twice.

The only think I can't forgive him for is picking Brunell.

Gibbs - during his first stint with the Skins was awesome. Had 4 superbowl appearances, and won 3 of them.

However, during his second stint he was clearly cluessless on how the game had evolved - specifically, the offense. He still managed to get us to the playoffs.

Hail Skins!

How has the game evolved lol. Why don't you go teach Gibbs football. Do you even know how they are winning right now? Running the ball, no turnovers and playaction.

Archived