Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday Night Lights tonight....

shuler74

Vince was in The Wire. His character is totally different, he was a skinny, "weak" drug dealer in The Wire. Here he's a jack diesel football player.

I was pretty stoked to see Deangelo Barksdale as the community activist a few episodes ago. He was one of my favorite characters on the Wire.

This is probably my favorite show that's still on the air, but you can tell it doesn't have a major following by the lack of outrage following last week's episode where...

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN LAST WEEK'S EPISODE YET

... Becky has an abortion. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that they're dealing with real issues that real teenagers go through, and I have no moral outrage whatsoever following that episode, but can you imagine the reaction even 10 years ago if you'd depicted a teenage girl getting an abortion in a prime-time drama?

Haven't these episodes run on DirectTV already? That could explain the lack of outrage. Though, I don't remember any previous outrage either which could speak to a lack of attention paid the show.

If I was braver I've venture over to the PTC's website and take a gander but I don't want to give those 'knockers any more hits then they already get.

I was pretty stoked to see Deangelo Barksdale as the community activist a few episodes ago. He was one of my favorite characters on the Wire.

This is probably my favorite show that's still on the air, but you can tell it doesn't have a major following by the lack of outrage following last week's episode where...

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN LAST WEEK'S EPISODE YET

... Becky has an abortion. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that they're dealing with real issues that real teenagers go through, and I have no moral outrage whatsoever following that episode, but can you imagine the reaction even 10 years ago if you'd depicted a teenage girl getting an abortion in a prime-time drama?

Yeah, if you were on the Wire, basically you have a golden ticket for future acting gigs. Beatrice Russell keeps popping up every where. The Office, Green Zone. Same with Stringer Bell.

Haven't these episodes run on DirectTV already? That could explain the lack of outrage. Though, I don't remember any previous outrage either which could speak to a lack of attention paid the show.

If I was braver I've venture over to the PTC's website and take a gander but I don't want to give those 'knockers any more hits then they already get.

I just don't think that's such a hot-button topic especially the way it was handled. I mean, they portrayed it in a pretty balanced way and showed the pros and cons of either decision. It's not like every character was saying, "Well obviously you need to get an abortion."

spoiler in text

I thought that was pretty realistic as to how it would go in real life. An administrator that actually cares, counsels a young, prego teen as to her options. And the knee-jerk Christian parent gets all militant about it.

spoiler in text

I thought that was pretty realistic as to how it would go in real life. An administrator that actually cares, counsels a young, prego teen as to her options. And the knee-jerk Christian parent gets all militant about it.

I agree. I'm just surprised there isn't more outrage over the decision the writers had that character make.

Here's a nice article from the NYT on the issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/arts/television/10lights.html

I love the show...but one more season wouldn't be a bad stopping point. I guess they want to go out while they still have a loyal (though small) audience.

I admire how they've been able to transition new characters in and old characters out over the couple of seasons I've been watching. After all, the setting is a high school, and kids graduate from high school and move on. But for a TV show trying to build an audience, it must be tough to let established characters go and introduce new characters in. They've handled it well.

I hope they get some momentum and stay on the air. It's well written and well acted, with compelling characters and plotlines.

I admire how they've been able to transition new characters in and old characters out over the couple of seasons I've been watching. After all, the setting is a high school, and kids graduate from high school and move on. But for a TV show trying to build an audience, it must be tough to let established characters go and introduce new characters in. They've handled it well.

I hope they get some momentum and stay on the air. It's well written and well acted, with compelling characters and plotlines.

I jokingly say it, but I believe there is some truth to it being one of the best shows on TV. It's not very popular, but as you say it's extremely well-written and well-acted. Within one or two episodes of being introduced to a character, you are invested in that character. To me, that's TV magic right there!

I jokingly say it, but I believe there is some truth to it being one of the best shows on TV. It's not very popular, but as you say it's extremely well-written and well-acted. Within one or two episodes of being introduced to a character, you are invested in that character. To me, that's TV magic right there!

I say dead seriously that it's one of the best shows on TV. No joking.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived