Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about the onside kick

Sean_Taylor_hero

Now I live in Canada, therefore I watch more CFL than i do NFL (CFL=Canadian Football League).

Now on the onside kick, the ball went off of a dallas players hand out of bounds. According to CFL rules (which i recognize we were not playing by) possession of the ball would have gone to Dallas because all you have to do is be the last one to touch it before it goes out of bounds. I realize that is not the case in the NFL, and as you can imagine my heart jumped into my throat when i saw Dallas had last touched the ball, but fortunately the announcers were saying "its redskins ball" or I would have thought it was Dallas ball.

You may think me uneducated, but I'm sure if you tried to watch a CFL game you wouldn't get half the rules they play by, so can someone please explain to me what the official rule is with an onside kick?

thanks

Ewww if that's the case the CFL is ***ed up because all you would have to do is knock the thing out and the ball is yours.
One of the few negatives about CFL football, and a minor one at that. Not that I'm comparing it to NFL football, mind you, most of the talent is Arena league level - after all, how many NFL teams are knocking on CFL teams doors for players?

That being said...

CFL can be a lot of fun to watch - I used to watch the Baltimore Stallions when they were in the city - it was sad to see them go.

CFL plays on a wider field and you only have 3 downs to move the chains - makes for a really fast paced game with lots of passing offense - you just can't run the ball as much with only 3 downs. Plus, IIRC, you HAVE to run the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs and have to return punts - no touchbacks. There are a few more rule differences, but otherwise it's very much the same. Like I said, it's no NFL, but it's fun.

Now I live in Canada, therefore I watch more CFL than i do NFL (CFL=Canadian Football League).

Now on the onside kick, the ball went off of a dallas players hand out of bounds. According to CFL rules (which i recognize we were not playing by) possession of the ball would have gone to Dallas because all you have to do is be the last one to touch it before it goes out of bounds. I realize that is not the case in the NFL, and as you can imagine my heart jumped into my throat when i saw Dallas had last touched the ball, but fortunately the announcers were saying "its redskins ball" or I would have thought it was Dallas ball.

You may think me uneducated, but I'm sure if you tried to watch a CFL game you wouldn't get half the rules they play by, so can someone please explain to me what the official rule is with an onside kick?

thanks

Hey man did you know our very own Mike Sellers played in the CFL before he became a NFL Pro? Move bi0tch get out the way! :) Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxf_-g3eT5s

Just has to go 10 yards and then its anyones ball (same as a regular kick-off). If the ball goes out of bounds before anyone gets possession and is not touched by the receiving team then its an out of bounds kick which is a penalty. Receiving team has the option of taking the ball forcing a re-kick.

I did not know that about CFL (but I have never really watched any CFL games).

Hey man did you know our very own Mike Sellers played in the CFL before he became a NFL Pro? Move bi0tch get out the way! :) Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxf_-g3eT5s

Actually, I think Sellers started in the NFL got in a bit of trouble, cleaned his act up in the CFL, and came back to the NFL.

Edit: Scratch that, I was partly right. It was CFL, NFL, CFL, NFL...

Ewww if that's the case the CFL is ***ed up because all you would have to do is knock the thing out and the ball is yours.

hahahaha

cfl also plays with 12 players

3 downs

110 yard field

20 yard deep end zones

and get this, this is my favorite part...if u miss a field goal, and the ball doesnt come out of the end zone, or if u punt it through the end zone (in other words, if u have a touchback) its called a "rouge" and its 1 point for the team that kicked it.

THAT is lame

but cfl football is good stuff, theres a lot more bigger plays than NFL

One of the few negatives about CFL football, and a minor one at that. Not that I'm comparing it to NFL football, mind you, most of the talent is Arena league level - after all, how many NFL teams are knocking on CFL teams doors for players?

That being said...

CFL can be a lot of fun to watch - I used to watch the Baltimore Stallions when they were in the city - it was sad to see them go.

CFL plays on a wider field and you only have 3 downs to move the chains - makes for a really fast paced game with lots of passing offense - you just can't run the ball as much with only 3 downs. Plus, IIRC, you HAVE to run the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs and have to return punts - no touchbacks. There are a few more rule differences, but otherwise it's very much the same. Like I said, it's no NFL, but it's fun.

yes touchbacks are allowed but it gives th eother team a single point lol and the ball is moved to the 35 yard line, not the 20.

and you also cant fair catch, you have to give the punt returner or kick returner 5 yards to catch the football, or its a penalty called "no yards"

besides, kickoffs dont make it to the end zone because tey have a lot farther to go to get to the end zone than they do in NFL, so you dont see many "touchbacks" (as you would konw it) in cfl.

yes touchbacks are allowed but it gives th eother team a single point lol and the ball is moved to the 35 yard line, not the 20.

and you also cant fair catch, you have to give the punt returner or kick returner 5 yards to catch the football, or its a penalty called "no yards"

besides, kickoffs dont make it to the end zone because tey have a lot farther to go to get to the end zone than they do in NFL, so you dont see many "touchbacks" (as you would konw it) in cfl.

See? I had forgotten a lot of that. Good stuff. :) Thanks!

it is no doubt VERY difficult to perform a successful onside kick. So many things have to go just right for it to happen. It really is something that should be worked on every single practice.

:D I really can't say anything else in response to that post from that poster on this night.

yeah hamilton tiger cats.

hes injured, been out for a while, the backup running back is caulley, and since lumsden keeps getting injurd, we like to call hammys running backs caulley and flower.

caulley is extremely fast though.

almost darrell green speed.

Jesse Lumsden is the 2nd comming of... noone we've ever seen before, he's that awesome....

I'm not sure if you were around when we had him in Training Camp, but yeah, mancrush central...

I am not a big CFL fan, used to be. I will tune in every now and then.

While we're on the topic of kicking (punting). One of the things the league prides itself on is the kick return game, hense the no fair catch rule if you will. When a team punts the ball, a rule was implemented to try and increase punt returns. It's like a coffin corner rule. The team is penalized if you punt the ball directly out of bounds outside of the 20 yard line. Because of the bigger field it's an exciting return game for the most part.

I mean there's a strategy about kicking away from dangerous return men, but this new rule has you become extra cautious about it now.

Don't forget about Joey T starting out in the CFL.

Dumbest thing about the CFL, was when it was a 9 team league, yes 9 teams........You had a team called the Roughriders and another called the Rough Riders. :doh:

Archived