Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THIS... is a flame post.....

codeorama

:silly: :silly: :silly:

NEWS - Madonna Says U.S. Isn't 'Celebrating Democracy'

04/15/2003

(4/15/03, 3 p.m. ET) -- Madonna will discuss the reasons why she withdrew her "American Life" music video, as well as the impending release of her new album, her feelings on the current state of the world, and her family in a VH1 special Madonna Speaks premiering Wednesday (April 16) at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

The half-hour show will include an in-depth interview by Megan Mullally of NBC-TV's Will & Grace. In a second Madonna interview, she will explain her thoughts on the factors that led to her decision to pull the video.

Madonna explained during the candid interview that freedom of expression has been compromised in America. "You know it's ironic that we're fighting for democracy in Iraq because we ultimately aren't celebrating democracy here," Madonna said. "Because anybody who has anything to say against the war or against the president or whatever---is punished, and that's not democracy--it's people being intolerant. And you know, everyone's entitled to their opinion, for or against and that's what our constitutional rights are supposed to be, that we all have the freedom to express ourselves and voice our dissent if we have that."

Madonna's tenth studio album, American Life will be released on April 22, and she will guest star on a new episode of Will & Grace on April 24.

"Because anybody who has anything to say against the war or against the president or whatever---is punished, and that's not democracy--it's people being intolerant.

i know, i should ignore this. but some people are so blatantly ignorant, it drives me nuts!!!

exactly how is madonna being punished for speaking against the war or the president? is the government making her pull her video, garnishing her wages earned by the album/song? no. she's being punished by the common people not buying her record, telling her to shut the hell up, and not listening to her. guess what, that IS democracy. we're allowed not to buy her $hit if she ticks us off. get over it and reinvent yourself again.

The bottom line is that she's a hypocrite. What she wants is not democracy. Lets face it, her getting to 'hear it' from the American public like the Dixie Chicks have is the epitome of democracy. I don't even think she cares about the discussion, she is just concerned about how the negative publicity would hurt her. I love how she just doesn't get that 'free speech' includes not only her own brand of pompous, supposedly rebellious, anti-establishment tripe, but also includes the American public. Like its the Bush administration thats plotting to 'shut Madonna up' :laugh: Yeah, I'll bet Donald Rumsfeld has his shadow government all over that. Immaterial girl.

dchogs....spot on bubba........you've nailed the true hyprocrisy here.

you and I can perch ourselves on any street corner and spout our personal convictions to our heart's content. there is, however, absolutely no guarantee that you and I must be allowed presence at awards ceremonies, tv interviews, funding events, magazine interviews, etc, to promulgate our ideas. why are hollywood celebrities entitled to live to a different set of standards? their arrogance and gall defies imagination. their response is the strongest indicator I can think of of how truly out of touch with reality they are. ironically....it also is suggestive of the corrupting influence of the extreme wealth they so often carp about derailing our political processes.

no.......they are not entitled to a platform. they are entitled to express themselves. their argument is that by deniing them access to these foras or refusing to support their incomes/celebrity we are guilty of impinging upon their rights.

I suffer no compunction in stating unequivocably: these people are not Americans. They are not patriots. They are dangerous - the proverbial cancer from within. I'm not suggesting they should be "dealt with". I am suggesting that the rest of us should ignore them while pursuiing every legal means to undermine them.

Let's be very, very, crystal clear on this........captured Al Queda agents have stated that they estimate a WMD event that killed 3-4 million Americans would be enough to destablize the United States and the Global economy so severely that we would be forced to recognize the alterred terms of international power and retract from a global presence. We know that Saddam was building capacity for generating enriched uranium in the 80s and and in the 90s. We know Al Queda has attempted to purchase enriched uranium from Russia and through the Sudan. We know former Russain nuclear scientists have sought employment in North Korea and have visited Pakistan. WE know there are huge stockpiles of plutonium and biological weapons of every sort in the former Soviet Union that is poorly protected and unaccounted for. We know a lot of it has reached the open market. We know that there are at least 40 countries with a nuclear weapons capability. We know Iran has been developing nuclear weapons ewith the assistance of the Russians. We know that there have been terrorist groups, nutcakes really, that have a vision that cleansing the world of its population iot start over is a benign and moral mission. We know that after a few days there is no cure for smallpox. We know that people are trying to get their hands on these biological strains and have investigated distribution mechanisms.

who are these *ucking hollywood celebrities kidding? we are locked into a death struggle here. while attempting to alleviate the conditions that generate some of the enmity is a viable option that should be pursued...it has to be recognized that there are elements who are not interested in negotiating - they want us immobilzed. they want us dead. these people/organizations have to be rooted out and they have to be killed. the states that support them have to be dealt with - violently - if all other options fail.

I can't speak for the rest of you....but the first priority for me is eliminating or severely reducing this threat. It is as bad - or worse - than the Soviet nuclear threat that I grew up with. This is not some harmless exercise in freedom of speech that the hollywood celebrities are playing as their next role. this is life and death......and they aren't shouldering any of the risks. until such time as they have a reasoned plan with some moral foundation and common sense probability of success.......I'm entirely willing to shunt them off to the side and discard out of hand anything they have to contribute. it is too dangerous a world situation right now to waste time with these pampered, undereducated, uninformed poltical dilitantes taking time off from extracting millions from the movie going public to voice their "conscience". a conscience that apparently had minimal concern for the very Iraqi poor who suffered most under Saddam - that's another irony in itself: the hollywood positions actually butrressed the upper classes and religious caste system in Iraq.

Archived