Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest bank failure: WAMU is no more (merged--link now in thread) MET

dockeryfan

The FDIC seized all the assets and sold them to JP Morgan Chase for an undisclosed sum.

Debtors of WAMU---get nothing

Stockholders of WAMU---get nothing

But, on the plus side:

Business as usual tomorrow. People will be able to do their banking just as always.

One of the "troubled banks" is now out of the picture.

Crazy times. Decisions are being made in random lets put this fire out now manner. JPM is a real winner here.

This has been known all week. I'm glad the they got a buyer.

Who's next?

It's the new finacial death pool.

Yeah, they got a "buyer".

Somehow, JP Morgan was able to purchase these assetts valued at over 300 billion for $1.9 billion.

How does that happen and why weren't the people able to make this purchase to offset the reaming we are about to take?

I just don't understand how this is...

Somehow, JP Morgan was able to purchase these assetts valued at over 300 billion for $1.9 billion.

How does that happen and why weren't the people able to make this purchase to offset the reaming we are about to take?

WaMu lost about $17 billion over the past few weeks from depositors withdrawing their money. They just didn't have the cash on hand to go on I guess.

Does this mean no more of those horrible Wamu commercials? :fingersx:

But hopefully it's not the end of their cool branches, good service and free checking accounts. As a customer, I loved WaMu. This sucks. :(

I was wondering what the figure would be . 1.9 billion. Yikes.

WaMu has 135 billion in deposits. If the FDIC had to tap into it's reserves for this one, every existing bank would have felt the hit, as their insurance premiums would have gone up.

So JPM gets all the assets.

They get a footprint in northern Ca

They DO NOT buy the equity (so debtors and shareholders get nothing)

Depositors feel nothing. Even people with more than 100K. Everything is still there, business as usual.

FDIC does not have to tap into the fund

JP Morgan will issue 8 billion in stock, and will write down a bunch of debt today.

All on a handshake type deal. Usually there are regulations involved with a bank takeover. There is none of that with this transaction.

Crazy times. BAC takes on Countrywide and Merrill Lynch, JPM takes over WaMu with the Federal govt brokering the deal. We won't see anything like this in our lifetime for sure. There has to be generations removed between crises like this. 1929 was a long time ago. JPM, the real JP Morgan, tried to stop the bleeding back then with similar moves.

Archived