Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kelly Out Sunday; Heyer, Horton may start

Saqs

Yep. We've seen how sore ankles don't negatively affect our WR's performace.

See Santana last year.

But how long does it take to get over this injury? and how long will he be in a game before he gets another injury? The guy played like 1 snap before he got hurt against the Saints.

I just hope that after all this time his knees are doing better.

Looking like a lost season for Kelly.

Here's hoping his loss is Thomas' gain.

Malcolm Kelly = Michael Westbrook

This will be 4 games into his rookie season. Let's not give up on it just yet. Look how much better Thomas (who is less NFL-ready) looked after just one game of significant playing time.

It's amazing that people can make such blanket statements just a couple days into Fall...the season is a long way from over and I highly doubt that this sprained ankle will make it lost season for Kelly.

I'm not willing to give up on Kelly like many of you are . . . the guy is talented, no doubt about it. Hopefully he can truly heal himself up and get out there next week against Philly.

Regarding Horton - after his game against the Saints, I'm thinkin that Coach Blache and Coach Zorn were looking for any reason to start him while adhering to the unspoken rule that you cannot lose your starting job to injury. You could see the wheels already spinning in the 2nd half against the Cardinals, where Horton was in there. So while Reed may officially start on Sunday, look to see a similar situation where Horton gets in there opposite LaRon (even in only 2 safety sets as opposed to the mentioned 3 safety, cobra package) sooner rather than later . . . especially if the Cowboys' passing game is successful.

Malcolm Kelly is the guy that fell off of peoples draft boards because of health concerns right? Why did we take this gamble?

I'm not trowing the towel in on him yet. I'm just trying to figure out what we were thinking.

The injury that is making him miss these games now is his ankle. He had "bad knees" in college. He was healthy and it just so happens that on the first play he gets in he catches a 3rd down pass to move the chains and gets a helmet right on the ankle.

**** happens ppl and its just unfortunate for him, I think zorn is being extra cautious and giving him all of this week and next week to heal up.

and comparing him to michael westbrook...come on:doh: Westbrook was a 1st rounder and malcolm kelly is a late 2nd. Give him more than 4 games into the season.

The injury that is making him miss these games now is his ankle. He had "bad knees" in college. He was healthy and it just so happens that on the first play he gets in he catches a 3rd down pass to move the chains and gets a helmet right on the ankle.

**** happens ppl and its just unfortunate for him, I think zorn is being extra cautious and giving him all of this week and next week to heal up.

and comparing him to michael westbrook...come on:doh: Westbrook was a 1st rounder and malcolm kelly is a late 2nd. Give him more than 4 games into the season.

Nah, Zorn is being cautious because it makes no point to activate a guy against a division rival who's only gonna be able to play 5 snaps (at most) before he comes down with something else.

Maybe Zorn benching him for a while will teach him to learn to play through pain so we can actually utilize our talent. Cause right now he's headed down a path of being like Westbroke.

But how long does it take to get over this injury? and how long will he be in a game before he gets another injury? The guy played like 1 snap before he got hurt against the Saints.

I just hope that after all this time his knees are doing better.

Not having Kelly isn't a big deal IMO. He was never expected to be a starter this year. Dude is hurt. Remember this is the same guy that everyone was writing rave reviews about. Then his hammy gets dinged up, it happens. But, then i hear he's having his knee scoped while he waits for his hamstring to heal. IMO whomever's decision this scope was is at fault for Kelly rash of injuries. The Skins should quit trying to rush him back and let the dude heal up or he'll keep getting other little injuries as the body tries to compensate for his origianl injury.

:cheers:

Well, he's going to be around for the next three years, so I'm not going to waste any energy proclaiming Kelly as a bust or wasted pick. Am I disappointed? Of course, because from everything I've heard (both from fans and people actually on the team) he's a pretty fantastic talent when healthy.

Hopefully by the end of the season he will have been able to get into some games and show some flashes. However, if by this time in 2010 we're still going through the same issues, then I'll be ready to cut bait on him...and I imagine so would the team.

Not having Kelly isn't a big deal IMO. He was never expected to be a starter this year. Dude is hurt. Remember this is the same guy that everyone was writing rave reviews about. Then his hammy gets dinged up, it happens. But, then i hear he's having his knee scoped while he waits for his hamstring to heal. IMO whomever's decision this scope was is at fault for Kelly rash of injuries. The Skins should quit trying to rush him back and let the dude heal up or he'll keep getting other little injuries as the body tries to compensate for his origianl injury.

:cheers:

If we didn't expect anything from Davis, Thomas and Kelly, then I definately don't submit to using a second round pick on any of them. Second rounders are normally the steals of the draft who come in and play like first rounders but at a lower price. This guy Kelly is playing like a mid-round project. I know he's a guy behing Moss, but he and Thomas should at least be competing with ARE and Thrash to take away the 2 and 3 jobs.

Well, he's going to be around for the next three years, so I'm not going to waste any energy proclaiming Kelly as a bust or wasted pick. Am I disappointed? Of course, because from everything I've heard (both from fans and people actually on the team) he's a pretty fantastic talent when healthy.

This is why I compare him to Westbrook. He was also a fantastic talent when healthy. Unfortunately, the guy was almost never healthy - except for that one 1000 yard year. Hopefully Kelly has more consistency at QB, but I get tired of hearing Campbell and scouts rave about how great Kelly is doing in practice only to see him inactive on Sundays.

If he's that good, but he's always hurt then he's not helping our team when he could be. So its really annoying. To those saying we weren't expecting much, so its okay, I don't buy it. Thats like saying that its okay not to start Horton over Doughty because we didn't expect Horton to be any good. The fact is that Horton is better than Doughty so playing him improves our team. The same way, if Kelly is better than Thrash or ARE, then playing him over them improves our team. But with his consistant injuries (whats this? like 10 weeks in a row of him being injured???), he's hurting his career and the team.

I just hope all of you who are throwing Kelly under the bus are around to eat crow when this whole thing shakes itself out. If he had it his way he'd be on the field, the coaches don't like the way his ankle is responding right now -- lay the **** off, let him get back up to speed, and then judge him on the body of work he displays on the field.

Santana Moss missed his entire rookie year due to injury, I'd say he turned out to be a pretty good player. I'm willing to wait and see what a healthy Kelly can do on the field, before attempting to judge him. I'm as anxious as anyone to see our rookie receivers step up, but if you're nicked, you're nicked. He'll heal, and get on the field. He deserves some time under his belt, before being considered a bust.

Archived