Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there certain plays that you would like to see our offense run, but have'nt yet?

flexxskins

IMHO, since coach Zorn has arrived, we run a beautiful bootleg. But, so far I've only seen it run in preseason.

I'm not certain just how it is different from when we ran it when coach Gibbs was here, but the overall affect from when we ran it in preseason was great.

It might be that JC executes a beautiful fake to Portis IMO.:whoknows:

Not really, they threw a screen to Moss which got us a first, I've been looking for that one since Gibbs had so much success with it.

I did think Portis was going to throw a pass during one of his runs in the 2nd half, not sure which run it was now, but it looked like he was running an option because he was slower than usual and looked to be making reads downfield.

Edit: And Shuler74's sig = :hump:

Half back option. I love that play and it often leads to good things.

I thought Clinton was going to toss it on one play and decided against it but have no idea if it was the play or not.

When a team is having a hard time running the ball this is a great way to loosen up the defenders in the box.

Oh God, more than I could ever count. I'm a total X's and O's geek.

A pump-fake WR screen to one side, then turn and throw an actual screen to Chris Cooley on the other side, who chipped the DE then released for the play.

A lot more plays out of the shotgun, 2 RB, Flex formation, which keeps Portis and Sellers on either side of Campbell in the backfield with Cooley split into the slot. So many running possibilities out of this one, including a triple read option for Campbell where he can either hand/fake it to Sellers running up the gut, then hand/fake it to Portis running a delayed stretch towards Cooley's side, then (if he's faked both handoffs) throw a WR screen towards Cooley's side with the WR behind the line of scrimmage, so the downfield blocking that's being done by the offensive line and Cooley is legal. That play would get me Horny for Zorny.

The Pistol formation. Yes, the Pistol formation. I believe it can work in the NFL.

A five-wide shotgun formation with trips bunch on one side and another option read for Campbell. He can either throw a screen to the bunch side, or fake the screen throw, then turn and throw a bomb down the other sideline. This one he'll have to call out to the line beforehand, so they know whether to screen block or pass protect.

A sprint-out delayed handoff to Portis from the shotgun. Most of you have probably seen this one before - quarterback takes the shotgun snap and immediately begins to sprint out to one side (the same side that the RB, who's faking staying in as an extra blocker for a second, lined up on), as if it's a play with a moving pocket. Most of the line also moves to that side for one second, but one or two of the backside linemen almost immediately begin to pull. At the same time, the quarterback hands off to the runningback after a second or two while still sprinting out the other direction. I can only remember one time when I've failed to see this play get at least eight yards.

The Spurrier Special - WR screen option pass, with ARE receiving the screen and then looking to throw to the RB, who's leaked out deep on the other side of the field.

I could do this all day.

Post corner fade route into the endzone for a TD!!!

We have had short receivers but his is perfect for Kelly and Thomas! Its a money play that gets you a TD if thrown right. JC and the receivers need to practice this, time and time again.

would like to see this as well. I dont think we've been able to run it for like 4 years. If its run right its unstoppable, espicially with taller receievers. Look at guys like plax, randy, braylon edwards...anytime their teams are in the redzone they run that play.

hes a rookie coach. so right now, coach zorn want to see what plays work and what doesnt... also i like how he is listening to his players... soemthing coach gibbs didnt do.. our team has been a unit for a while and players got the feel for the game. im glad hes listening and did the same play aaron glenn for beat on .. towndown santana mosss

In the realm of gadget/trick plays, there were a couple of 2nd/3rd and short opportunities that we could have easily set up the run, but had a couple recievers run some deep routes for a nice flea flicker.

Other than that, my concern isn't with the play calling, but rather Campbell getting the ball released quicker by trusting his receivers and throwing the ball for them to make the play on it.

Half back option. I love that play and it often leads to good things.

I thought Clinton was going to toss it on one play and decided against it but have no idea if it was the play or not.

When a team is having a hard time running the ball this is a great way to loosen up the defenders in the box.

I totally agree, this is the play that I was going to suggest. And I to thought Clinton about to throw the ball down field after he got the toss......

Still waiting on that reverse pass or some kind of pass with Randle El. I don't think we ran that last year at all either, and he's kinda good at that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but at the game it looked like Portis, after receiving a pitch and inside the 20, was going to pass to the endzone but it was covered. He ran toward the sidelines for a couple yards gain. I was at the game and didn't see a replay but it looked like he was looking to throw. Maybe someone can comment.

Archived