Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Texans-Ravens game on Monday after all

royallypwned

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5999358.html

Reliant Stadium damaged; Monday's game is off

No decision has been made regarding when or where the game will eventually be played

The Houston Texans will not be playing their home opener against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night at Reliant Stadium.

The game was supposed to have been played at 7:30 p.m., but Hurricane Ike has caused damage to the stadium that has made it unsuitable for hosting the game.

"The facility will not be usable," said Shey Guinn, president of SMG, the company that manages Reliant Park.

"There's some structural damage to the roof. Part of it is off," Guinn said.

"There's also some other damage on the property caused by wind and water. We're in the process of assessing the damage," he said. "As far as the game being postponed again or played, that will be up to the NFL."

The game had originally been set for 3:15 p.m. Sunday, but because of Ike the NFL moved it to Monday night.

The Texans and Ravens will have no comment until they hear from the league. Conference calls among three are scheduled for later today.

The NFL will determine where and when the Texans play the Ravens. The Texans' bye week (Oct. 26) is a possibility.

The big question is, can Reliant Stadium be repaired in time for the Texans' next home game Oct. 5 against Indianapolis.

The Colts game marks the first of three in a row at home. Miami (Oct. 12) and Detroit (Oct. 19) are scheduled to come to Houston after Indianapolis.

I know it would be at quick notice, but I'm wondering if there were any talks about possibly moving the game to Dallas or something...like the Cotton Bowl. That place was JUST renovated to add about 16,000 seats and now can hold above 92,000.

What about the Texans season ticket holders, would they get a refund? plus that game on a neutral field won't even draw 30k.

What about the Texans season ticket holders, would they get a refund? plus that game on a neutral field won't even draw 30k.

I wouldn't quite call it neutral. The Texans would have more fans there and be a lot closer. But I agree, the attendance wouldn't be overwhelming, for sure.

but yeah, I don't know how it would be worked out. What did they do when the Saints were forced to play in San Antonio back in 2005?

There's a thread in the Stadium on it, but I'll just post in here to send best wishes and thoughts to all our ES members in Texas--Cowboy and Redskins fans--that they and their loved ones be safe.

If you of you 'boys fans goes to CZ, pass this on the Hostile & the Cowboy fans there--we wish them all well.

Other than that, business as usual. :cool:

Archived