Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP.com: Horton's Advanced College Credit Gets Him Ahead With Redskins

ciscofan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090802468.html

[/size]

On the day before he was to make his NFL debut, rookie safety Chris Horton called his college defensive coordinator. Horton wanted to congratulate his mentor, DeWayne Walker, for UCLA's victory over Tennessee earlier that week, but also hoped to pick up some pointers from a man uniquely qualified to offer them.

Click link at top for rest of article...

I would love to see Horton push Doughty for his spot, especially after the other night. Eiether Horton or Moore.

lol doughty was the only DB that didn't get toasted in coverage,and neither guy would have been more affective trying to tackle brandon jacobs.

:D

I don't recall him covering anyone...I could be wrong

Since we blitzed at least once in the game, that means we were more than likely manned up in coverage that one time (Might not have been, but a good chance of it) which leads me to believe that Doughty did in fact cover someone.

Last I checked, Zone Coverage is also a type of covering :)

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 9, 2008; E01

"He reminds me of the typical safety we've had here that's excelled," Jackson said. "Guys you've got to kick out of the film room, kick off the practice field. They're tough as nails mentally and physically. So you've got to find a space for guys like that."

Horton, an all-Pacific-10 performer as a senior, impressed the scouts and coaches during a pre-draft visit to Redskins Park, and conversations between team officials and Walker intensified the belief that, in this system, Horton could be a diamond in the rough. Walker praised his football intellect, his work habits, his special teams skills. The usual rookie learning curve would be shorter as well, given how much familiarity Horton had with the concepts, language and responsibilities of his position within this framework.

Its nice to read about Horton's backstory. I love this quote about 48:

"He reminds me of the typical safety we've had here that's excelled...

..Guys you've got to kick out of the film room, kick off the practice field. They're tough as nails mentally and physically....."

-Did JLC really write that article?;)

He wasn't covering anyone to get toasted...

he was covering the giants TE's the majority of the game.tell me how many receptions the Giants TE's had... :laugh:

Doughty did his job in coverage that game and did it well. run support was iffy,but everybody sucked in run support that game,to single out doughty would be say everyone else did fine,and that sure as hell wasn't the case.

we all saw landry get trucked,and give up some receptions,should he be benched?

he was covering the giants TE's the majority of the game.tell me how many receptions the Giants TE's had... :laugh:

Doughty did his job in coverage that game and did it well. run support was iffy,but everybody sucked in run support that game,to single out doughty would be say everyone else did fine,and that sure as hell wasn't the case.

we all saw landry get trucked,and give up some receptions,should he be benched?

You failed when you compared Landry to Doughty

lol not my fault you don't know football and you just blindly hate on players when things aren't going well

you can think whatever you want, but your the one pointing out that Doughty covered Boss well? Who is the one that was getting dogged all preseason. :doh: When Doughty is replaced, you will see who knows more about football.

BTW, I for one don't think things aren't going well defensively. I just know Reed is not a starter in this league.

you can think whatever you want, but your the one pointing out that Doughty covered Boss well? Who is the one that was getting dogged all preseason. :doh: When Doughty is replaced, you will see who knows more about football.

BTW, I for one don't think things aren't going well defensively. I just know Reed is not a starter in this league.

Dude he was the 2nd best player in the secondary in game 1 next to Rogers. You say he didn't cover anyone? His job is to cover TE's. 0 catches. Doughty did fine.

Dude he was the 2nd best player in the secondary in game 1 next to Rogers. You say he didn't cover anyone? His job is to cover TE's. 0 catches. Doughty did fine.

I didn't say he was bad. He had some poor tackles is all. If you want to base him off of one game go ahead. He will be replaced and I won't need to say anything.

Archived