Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Zorn is Showing In Re Campbell

bulldog

This isn't make or break for Campbell. He's got a new coach and offense, and he'll have into 2009 to prove himself, barring an absolute trainwreck (which I don't anticipate).

Part of it's due to the fact that everyone recognizes that he's adapting, and also from the fact that we don't have a young QB waiting in the wings to take over. Collins isn't our future, and Brennan is a project who is more than a year away from being ready.

You're absolutely right. After all, it isn't often that players are a better fit in one system than another. :rolleyes: :secret: Todd Collins

If Jason is a better fit in the WCO, we will find that out this year, now won,'t we? I'm for giving him this year.

My point is that even in the ideal system for them, QBs very often take a few years to come to fruition.

That's not true. Good QBs can look bad in the wrong scheme, but put good QBs in the right scheme, you get good results right away.

However, I still think 16 games over one season in this offense preceded by a rookie year in which Saunders'/Gibbs' ignored him is way too small a sample size to declare a guy a failure. :2cents:

That's just ridiculous. Jason was coddled by Gibbs and Saunders. They kept it simple and protected him well and, right now, he has to improve in order to equal Ramsey's stats.

Of course I guess if we put him in the shotgun Campbell will immediately morph into Joe Montana in your eyes. :laugh

In Jason's best game last season, the first one against Dallas, Jason was in the shotgun for the majority of his attempts.

I agree that 20 games isn't enough. That's why I said this was his bubble year. 36 games is plenty. If he plays no better in Zorn's offense than he did in Al's, we should not extend his contract.

And no, "he's only had one season in this offense" won't float. If he had played better in the 20 games in Al's offense, Al would still be here.

My two cents:

20 games isn't enough. 36 games should help decide what we direction we should be looking in, and 52 games will be a clear indicator of whether he is our franchise QB or not.

Out of curiousity oldfan, what are your thoughts on him this season. Further, say we start off slow but at the end of the season its clear that Jason is starting to get far more comfortable and is doing really well - would you still consider giving him more time?

My 6th sense says- a Coach who genuinely respects his players can get the message through. Zorn has a personal code that he lives by. It has a lot of love in it. It provides a firm foundation upon which confidence and skills can be built. It touches the heart- which drives the body and mind.

Not all players can resonate with this style but players who are close to their own hearts like Campbell, and yes, QB5, will thrive and the team with them.

that is one of the differences in having a 65 year old coach who has proven himself over time at the highest levels vs. a younger, hungrier coach.

Zorn is where Gibbs was back in 1981, a creative offensive coach that is eager to prove himself and who is willing to step outside the box to find solutions.

that's how the one back offense developed in Washington. Gibbs didn't come in from San Diego trying to install that kind of offense.

You hit the nail on the head.

And just like Gibbs did, he took over a team with some experienced veterans, talented youth with lots of potential, and Bugel as the o-line coach

It is nearly impossible to underestimate just how awful the entire Gibbs 2 years were.

They were a total nightmare.

The few on this site that criticized it during those years were called haters by other "fans" with their heads in the sand.

Now it is finally becoming clear to everyone else.

The coaching, at many different positions--Head Coach, Running backs, Quarterbacks......was awful.

It is pathetic that Zorn can come in on day 1, and see immediate problems with JC that somehow alluded our highly paid coaching staff for years.

Our two-minute offense was embarrassing--not knowing the double-timeout was inexcusable, and not having the team prepared for the Seattle crowd noise was the last straw.

Resign, or be fired. Just get away from this team. You are destroying us.

It is amazing that the players overcame such terrible coaching, preparation and game plans to even make a wildcard two years.

We are a much, much better coached team already.

:2cents:

Out of curiousity oldfan, what are your thoughts on him this season. Further, say we start off slow but at the end of the season its clear that Jason is starting to get far more comfortable and is doing really well - would you still consider giving him more time?

Preseason stats mean nothing to me, but I study a QB's mechanics. Jason looks much improved to me, and I'm very encouraged.

Sure, if he got off to a slow start, but finished strong, say over the second half of the season, I'd be tickled pink if we signed him to an extension.

It is nearly impossible to underestimate just how awful the entire Gibbs 2 years were.

They were a total nightmare.

The few on this site that criticized it during those years were called haters by other "fans" with their heads in the sand.

Now it is finally becoming clear to everyone else.

The coaching, at many different positions--Head Coach, Running backs, Quarterbacks......was awful.

It is pathetic that Zorn can come in on day 1, and see immediate problems with JC that somehow alluded our highly paid coaching staff for years.

Our two-minute offense was embarrassing--not knowing the double-timeout was inexcusable, and not having the team prepared for the Seattle crowd noise was the last straw.

Resign, or be fired. Just get away from this team. You are destroying us.

It is amazing that the players overcame such terrible coaching, preparation and game plans to even make a wildcard two years.

We are a much, much better coached team already.

:2cents:

And here we go...joker.jpg

:munchout:

You gotta like what you've seen so far. Zorn is definitely grooming JC well.

Yep, I am so glade that Zorn got hired, because we needed are QB's fined tunned. JC has always had the talent, he just needed to improve his tecnique, and his decision making skills. And that is what Zorn has been doing, and it looks like it is working so far to me. If the key to are succsess this year is JC, it looks why were in for a good year!!

:cheers:

I'm not sure if it's coaching or if this offense is simply a better fit for his skills.

It's a combination of both IMO. Zorn's experience playing the position gives him a unique perspective - he knows what proper mechanics are better than any position coach who never played at this level possibly could.

Additionally, the WCO as proven at Auburn is geared to JC's strengths like perhaps no other offensive scheme could be.

It's a combination of both IMO. Zorn's experience playing the position gives him a unique perspective - he knows what proper mechanics are better than any position coach who never played at this level possibly could.

Probaby true.

Additionally, the WCO as proven at Auburn is geared to JC's strengths like perhaps no other offensive scheme could be.

This is questionable, BRD. When you want a QB to be quick with his feet, quick with his release, and deadly accurate with short tosses, you don't normally think of a six-five guy with long arms and a reputation for throwing the deep ball.

So far, it seems to be working. But, I wouldn't have guessed it. I figured it a longshot bet.

...This is questionable, BRD. When you want a QB to be quick with his feet, quick with his release, and deadly accurate with short tosses, you don't normally think of a six-five guy with long arms and a reputation for throwing the deep ball.

So far, it seems to be working. But, I wouldn't have guessed it. I figured it a longshot bet.

I agree that JC is more reminiscent of a Mark Rypien with his deep ball accuracy and prowess, but if these first two games are any indication he seems much more comfortable with his reads, more decisive when he releases the ball than he has at any other time since he came to the Skins, at least in my memory. :)

I agree that JC is more reminiscent of a Mark Rypien with his deep ball accuracy and prowess, but if these first two games are any indication he seems much more comfortable with his reads, more decisive when he releases the ball than he has at any other time since he came to the Skins, at least in my memory. :)

Okay, we were focusing on different things. I was thinking physical. You were thinking mental.

I think Jim Zorn has given Jason less to think about than Al did. So far, so good.

Okay, we were focusing on different things. I was thinking physical. You were thinking mental.

I think Jim Zorn has given Jason less to think about than Al did. So far, so good.

My bad, actually. In my first post I did say his strengths, which could be construed as his physical gifts. I admit he doesn't seem to have the foot speed or lateral quickness of the prototypical WCO QB (see Steve Young) but I still think he's going to excel this year under Zorn's scheme/tutelage. I would love for him to break out and earn his first Pro Bowl in his first year in this system.

:cheers:

Gibbs took over a team that finished 5-11 in 2003, was a complete mess top to bottom, and was the laughing stock of the entire league.

Zorn took over a team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs, had talent (returned 22 starters) and was poised to have a better season this year over last regardless who the coach was.

I think we can all agree that Gibbs 2.0 left something to be desired, but I think that saying that it was just awful is a bit of an overstatement.

In Gibbs I, Joe, Jerry Rhome and Dan Henning were able to get Jay Schroeder and Mark Rypien ready to play QB in the NFL..........that counts among the all-time miracles :)

The fact is though, with Saunders coming here in 2006 and the yin-yang disagreements internally between Joe's style and Saunders' style meant that JC received less than adequate coaching IMO.

That is one of the factors that made Gibbs II less successful.

I agree and I think Joe did and would have done alot better without Saunders. I always thought that hire was a mistake.

Archived