Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which conference is better? NFC or AFC

kevin11

The AFC has won 8 of the last 11 [super Bowls].

This. The AFC is clearly better - they're the varsity, and NFC is the JV. If the Browns (10-6) had been in the NFC, they'd have been in the playoffs instead of the 'skins (9-7). In the AFC, the Browns stay home.

I thought this was an interesting question so here's what I came up with. When you look at records and draft orders from 2008 and you factor in a couple things like the Pats having there late pick taken away and give credit to the orginal team who had the pick and traded it (ala Dallas picking at 22 when it belonged to the Browns) you get the following:

Picks 1-10

AFC - 6

NFC - 4

AFC has more bad teams in the confrence then the NFC

Picks 11-20

AFC 3

NFC 7

NFC has more middle of the road teams then the AFC by the widest margin

Picks 21-32

AFC 7

NFC 5

The AFC has the edge on the best teams in the league.

Then I took the draft order and gave it a point system based on where the teams drafted. For example the Redskins 21st pick was worth 21 points and I added all of the teams in the confrence together and compared them. I came up with:

AFC - 257

NFC - 271

The difference is clear to me. As a whole confrence the NFC has the edge.

AFC has the top 5 teams in the league.

Not even close.

I agree with this absolutely. Maybe not 5, probably 3 or 4, but regardless I agree with where you are going here.

Besides an NFC East team playing, I get more chills when I see any combination of the Chargers, Jags, Colts and Patriots go against each other.

Yes the NFC is more balanced. But to me the AFC is better since it has four of the top five best teams.

Yes you can and should say, that the Pats have it easy in their division but so do the Seahawks (who live by home field advantage).

Which 4 teams in the AFC are better than the Giants?

Come on man, you were the #5 seed and got hot at the right time. The Giants were not favored to win anything last year and if you go solely by what's on paper including this year's draft picks and free agent additions, there aren't alot of people syaing the Giants area a top 3 team. Most have them in their top 5 out of respect for winning the SB.

It's a different year and everyone is 0-0, so the only assessment can be made on paper. As of now I'd say, NE, Indy, SD and possible Jax all have better teams than the Giants. Of course no one knows that for sure until the games are played. I love the way the Giants and their fans are playing the "disrespect" card.

Here's a question you should ask Redskin fans. We're the Redskins the best team in 1987-88 when you beat the Broncos for the SB? My answer: NO. We were 11-4, were the #4 seed in the conference and had the 4th best record in the conference. SF was 13-2. New Or was 12-3 and Chicago was 11-4 also, but they won the tiebreaker and we played in Chicago. I'm not afraid to say we weren't the best team that year. But we won it anyway and that's all that matters.

NFC always surprises because we beat up on each other a lot more than the AFC does. AFC division winners always get to rest their starters for like the last two weeks of the season while the NFC is still dogging it out.

NFC is just more interesting.

It's a different year and everyone is 0-0, so the only assessment can be made on paper. As of now I'd say, NE, Indy, SD and possible Jax all have better teams than the Giants. Of course no one knows that for sure until the games are played. I love the way the Giants and their fans are playing the "disrespect" card.

On paper, what makes the Chargers and the Jaguars better teams than the Giants? What have either of them ever accomplished?

You know, I really think there is a balance presently between both conferences.

Maybe a slight edge to the AFC because they have been dominant recently and more of their teams are in the top 5 or top 10 but they also have some pretty putrid teams as well.

A lot of interesting stats and posts in this thread.

The NFC/AFC debate is always interesting. It seems cyclical to me as to which conference is better. With my Giants Super Bowl victory we could potentially be seeing a change of opinion soon in this debate much like we did in the late '90s when the broncos repeated and in '01 when the upstart patriots beat the "greatest show on turf" in an upset.

On paper, what makes the Chargers and the Jaguars better teams than the Giants? What have either of them ever accomplished?

See, you don't understand. It's not about past accomplishments. Unfortunately it's about potential. Winning last year doesn't give any team a free pass for the following year. When you break down the rosters and compare them, most would agree that the 4 teams I mentioned can and might be better than the Giants. It's not like you guys went 14-2. You were 10-6 and a blown Gibbs halftime from being out of the playoffs. Eli threw for 55% during the regular season, but got hot at the right time. Same as Doug Williams did for us in 1988. Same as the Steelers in 2005. I'm not saying the Giants suck or that they didn't deserve to win it. I'm not even saying they aren't a top 10 team. But not top 5.

See, you don't understand. It's not about past accomplishments. Unfortunately it's about potential. Winning last year doesn't give any team a free pass for the following year. When you break down the rosters and compare them, most would agree that the 4 teams I mentioned can and might be better than the Giants. It's not like you guys went 14-2. You were 10-6 and a blown Gibbs halftime from being out of the playoffs. Eli threw for 55% during the regular season, but got hot at the right time. Same as Doug Williams did for us in 1988. Same as the Steelers in 2005. I'm not saying the Giants suck or that they didn't deserve to win it. I'm not even saying they aren't a top 10 team. But not top 5.
The Giants are one of 4 teams to make the playoffs the last 3 years in a row. The Colts, Seahawks, and the Patriots are the other 3. Eli-Plax is the highest scoring QB-WR combo in the NFL over those 3 years as well. They made the playoffs from the toughest division in the conference, despite the fact that their #1, #2, and #3 WR's were battling injuries all year long. They beat the #1, #2, and #4 seeded teams in the NFC on the road in the playoffs. They won the Superbowl just last year against the #1 seed in the AFC. Their core is still intact, and the most recent draft class is looking pretty good.. If consistent success, good depth, strong drafts, and a Superbowl championship don't make the Giants a top 5 team, what would?

The Giants are one of 4 teams to make the playoffs the last 3 years in a row. The Colts, Seahawks, and the Patriots are the other 3. Eli-Plax is the highest scoring QB-WR combo in the NFL over those 3 years as well. They made the playoffs from the toughest division in the conference, despite the fact that their #1, #2, and #3 WR's were battling injuries all year long. They beat the #1, #2, and #4 seeded teams in the NFC on the road in the playoffs. They won the Superbowl against just last year against the #1 seed in the AFC. Their core is still intact, and the most recent draft class is looking pretty good.. If consistent success, strong drafts, and a Superbowl championship don't make the Giants a top 5 team, what would?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 10-6 has been the best record you had the 3 years you made the playoffs is it not? Hey, I said you were top 10, but I still disagree with top 5.

This. The AFC is clearly better - they're the varsity, and NFC is the JV. If the Browns (10-6) had been in the NFC, they'd have been in the playoffs instead of the 'skins (9-7). In the AFC, the Browns stay home.

I disagree. The other side of that coin is that the AFC had four teams with fewer than 5 wins, whereas the NFC had only two. The gap in performance within the AFC is larger than it is within the NFC.

I disagree. The other side of that coin is that the AFC had four teams with fewer than 5 wins, whereas the NFC had only two. The gap in performance within the AFC is larger than it is within the NFC.

Exactly. If your looking at the entire confrences like the question suggests then you come up with something like I did here. People are looking at the question as "which confrence has the best teams" then the answer is the AFC, they have more teams with better records then the NFC. But if you look at every team in the confrence the answer is the NFC's better. See my stat post on this thread

I don't have to tell myself anything. The bling speaks pretty clearly.superbowlring.jpg

I just wish the Giants were as successful as the Jaguars and the Chargers.

Listen pal, winning a Superbowl makes you the best for that year. It doesn't make you the best team the next. In my opinion:

New England Patriots - Better then the Giants

San Deigo Chargers - Better then the Giants

Indianapolis Colts - Better then the Giants

Dallas Cowboys - Better then the Giants

Jacksonville Jaguars - Better then the Giants

Pittsburgh Steelers - Better then the Giants

Seattle Seahawks - Better then the Giants

Washington Redskins - Better then the Giants

I count 8 teams that are better then your Giants. I think if these 8 teams played your team 10 times all of them would win more then they lost. We beat you in NY 22-10 with a backup QB and a beat up team and shoulda beat you in our house that same year. Dallas if they don't choke beats you last year. You've got an alright team, but clearly you aint got one thats great. Face the music and admit your squad got hot at the right time and squeaked out a few nice consequtive wins and were the champs in the end. Besides the Tampa game, you won the other 3 games by a 3.3 point margin. That's not dominate at all, but you won and that's great. Pat yourself on the back now but your not in the same league as the 1991 Redskins or 1999 Rams or the 1985 Bears or 1972 Dolphins by any stretch

The AFC has the better QB's, by a long shot.

The NFC has the better players overall though.

That should tell you about the importance of the QB position when you look at the results of recent superbowls

QFT.

much better QBs in the AFC

but I think the NFC overall has better defenses.

I don't have to tell myself anything. The bling speaks pretty clearly.superbowlring.jpg

I just wish the Giants were as successful as the Jaguars and the Chargers.

This is why I cheered for the Patriots to win. I knew that Giant fans would come out of nowhere and start bragging.

This is why I cheered for the Patriots to win. I knew that Giant fans would come out of nowhere and start bragging.

i give Tom all the credit in the world for class. he came in here after they won and did a victory lap but never rubbed our noses in it. He got that special avatar for a reason.

cheers to you Tom. :cheers:

Archived