Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which conference is better? NFC or AFC

kevin11

I got in an argument with a steelers fan. He believes that the AFC is still better than the NFC. I think the NFC is a little better.

My main point is that the AFC has a few great teams and a bunch of average teams. The NFC seems to have alot more balance among their teams.

NFC. I mean the NFCE alone has 4 great teams. Throw in Vikings, as much as I hate to fing say it Seahawks, and a few good teams that lack a few key parts. But AFC? Its just Chargers, Colts, Patriots, Steelers....And look at their divisions? I mean Patriots, Jets, Bills, Dolphins???? LOL. Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders???LOL. Then you have Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Bengals. LOL. Colts, Texans, Titans, Jags. So for every GREAT Team they have they have 3 crappy teams following. I mean hell NFCE COME ON! 4 of the BEST TEAMS in ONE DIVISION in ONE CONFRENCE. That owns all

I'd say it's balanced right now. The NFC has the East as it's best division and the AFC has the South as their best division. The rest are mainly a top team and a bunch of average teams. The balance of power is starting to shift to the NFC though.

AFC seems better to me. The Patriots and Colts are the top 2 teams in my opinion and then they also have the Chargers and Jaguars who both are top level teams. I don't really think anyone outside of the NFC East is that good, especially with Favre now leaving the Packers.

It was the AFC no question. I think the playing field is evening out, but the AFC still has the edge.

I mean, they still have the Pats, Colts and Chargers. We don't have three teams of that caliber right now.

The AFC also has Miami, KC, Jets, and Oakland. The NFC doesn't have 4 teams that bad either.

The AFC has more teams up top, but also more teams in the basement. The NFC has more teams in the middle. There were 9 teams with 7-9 wins in the NFC, while there were only 4 of them in the AFC. One way to interpret that is since 75% of a teams games are in the same conference, the NFC is tougher b/c it doesn't have a bunch of teams to beat up on.

The AFC also has Miami, KC, Jets, and Oakland. The NFC doesn't have 4 teams that bad either.

The AFC has more teams up top, but also more teams in the basement. The NFC has more teams in the middle. There were 9 teams with 7-9 wins in the NFC, while there were only 4 of them in the AFC. One way to interpret that is since 75% of a teams games are in the same conference, the NFC is tougher b/c it doesn't have a bunch of teams to beat up on.

To me the teams that comprise the top of the conference are the most important. Who cares what the middle and bottom dwellers do. It's all about the best of the best. Right now, you can't argue that the NFC has better top tier teams.

If the question was which conference im more balanced, then I'd definitely say the NFC.

However, you ask me which one is best, and it's hard to argue that the NFC has better top tier teams.

Agreed. Much more parity in the NFC than the AFC. Being an NFC guy (SKINS baby) it bugs me how poorly we've done in recent SB's. That will all change soon as the B&G gets back there though, so it's all good.

AFC has been better the last 5 years. They have more dominant teams at the top while the NFC has some very good to great teams. The tides I think are starting to shift back to the NFC as the AFC has won more SB's lately (thanks to the Pats). It's 22-20 NFC in the SB's, but before the Packers won SB 31, the NFC was crushing the AFC 19-12. The AFC has won 8 of the last 11.

AFC seems better to me. The Patriots and Colts are the top 2 teams in my opinion and then they also have the Chargers and Jaguars who both are top level teams. I don't really think anyone outside of the NFC East is that good, especially with Favre now leaving the Packers.

The Vikings (IMO), are the NFC's Jaguars.

Its really even right now. Lets take a look.

NORTH

AFC: Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers

NFC: Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings

Raven's are on a down slumb at the moment. The Bengals were injury prone but have the offensive capability to be a contender and is a good team. Browns barely missed the playoffs in the AFC last year but would've rolled in in the NFC. Steelers have, and are, good and just got better this year.

Bears only offense is their special teams, and their defense was badly injured last year so hard to read them. Lions are a night and day team that's hard to get a grasp for. Packers, you have no clue what you're going to get here with Rodgers. Should still be a pretty good team. Vikings should be good and on par with the Browns or Steelers

Results: Slight edge AFC

SOUTH

AFC: Texans, Colts, Jags, Titans

NFC: Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Bucs

Texans are a cursed team that's poised to break out but has 3 people ahead of them that are rather good. Good defense, and not a bad offense if the QB stays healthy. Titans are going to depend if Vince Young rebounds from his poor sophmore season, but the defense and run game are both good. The Jags would be a division winner in most other confrences and are a great team all around. Colts...really can't say more about them. Top 3 team in the league

Falcons...um, no. Panthers, really iffy here. Always rated high, and seem to perform low in recent years. Saints have potential, but its hard to know if we'll get the 06 good Saints or the 07 iffy ones. Bucs are a playoff team only because of the division their in. They'd MAYBE be a wildcard if not in the South. Wouldn't whiff the playoffs in the AFC

Results: AFC in a landslide here

EAST

AFC: Bills, Dolphins, Pats, Jets

NFC: Skins, Boys, Eagles, Giants

Bills are an increasingly improving team and are above decent. Ditto for the jets who had a down year last year, but were a playoff team in 06 and have just gotten a good QB. However they're on the bubble to see which team shows up, and which Favre shows up. Pats are...well, yeah. Ditto with the Dolphins being well, falcons of the AFC

What can you say. Much like the AFC South, its stacked. Cowboys are stacked with talent as much as I hate it. Giants return most of their superbowl team. The Eagles have the healthiest McNabb in 3 years. And the skins are gearing up to have a great year.

Results: NFC in not *quite* as big of a landslide, simply due to the pats.

WEST

AFC: Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Charges

NFC: Cards, 49ers, Rams, Seahawks

Bronco's are working with a young QB, a seeming aging defense, and would probably be under average if not for being great at home. Chiefs are going to be bad for a bit longer as they rebuild. Raiders are well, the raiders. Chargers are about the only real shining light here

Niners are improving each year, espicially on defense, but they're still got questions at QB. Better than KC though. The Cards just need to have a QB stay healthy and continue on the improving path they're going. Rams were another injury prone team last year that could bounce back big with lots of talent and potential. And the seahawks just simply get it done.

Results: Slight edge NFC

I'd honestly say the divisions are rather equal right now, with the AFC having a few more of the truly GREAT teams of the league.

I still think the AFC is the dominate conference, especially now that the Jaguars and Chargers are becoming into fruition. The playing field is starting to level out, though. I believe the NFC is due for a resurgence, especially in the east. If an NFC wins another title this year, it will come from the eastern division *keeps fingers crossed*.

The NFC has better defenses overall, tougher players IMO, and grind it out a little more. The AFC has flashier offenses and defenses, but not the gritty ability of NFC guys.
Yea, I have to say that other than LT, the NFC has the better Running backs.

The AFC has the better QB's, by a long shot.

The NFC has the better players overall though.

That should tell you about the importance of the QB position when you look at the results of recent superbowls

Hey, we have Drew Brees and Kyle Orton.

Go Boilers!

Seriously though, the AFC does have the better quarterbacks. I would still give the slight edge to AFC overall, but the margin is just about closed relative to what it was a couple years ago.

I too have a Steelers fan as a friend. He said something along those lines to me, and I just said, "hmmmm, NFC has the defending Super Bowl champions, the AFC has the team with the new nickname of 18-1."

He laughed, but didn't claim AFC supremacy anymore.

Archived