Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Telegram: Dallas Cowboys have some surprise packages in camp

tr1

Carpenter has been stuffing MB at the line consistently. I'm afraid the author has misinterpreted that effort. MB is struggling in camp. Oh, and Pacman is a 'superstar'... :laugh:

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/808204.html

OXNARD, Calif. — The Dallas Cowboys entered training camp with admittedly few holes on the roster and literally no starting jobs up for grabs, thus making it challenging for those looking to make significant moves up the depth chart.

Superstars such as quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee, receiver Terrell Owens, tight end Jason Witten and linebacker DeMarcus Ware and highly touted newcomers such as cornerback Adam Jones, running back Felix Jones and linebacker Zach Thomas have stood out as expected.

However, as HBO surely will chronicle to the nation when the first episode of its Cowboys’ training camp documentary Hard Knocks airs Wednesday, there are always surprises.

Among them is linebacker Bobby Carpenter.

"At the end of the day, if I play as well as I can, I believe I am going to be on the field somehow, some way," Carpenter said. "It’s on me. I feel I am starting to hold up my end of the bargain. Everything else has to take care of itself."

Five Cowboys who have made their move so far in camp:

LB Bobby Carpenter

The skinny: Until he breaks into the starting lineup, Carpenter might never live down the bust label he has been tagged with since being picked in the first round of the 2006 draft. But he is having the best camp of his career and is showing signs that he can be a major contributor. The question is finding a role in a stacked linebacker corps. He plays behind starter Zach Thomas and Kevin Burnett, who plays on passing downs. Coach Wade Phillips said he will find a role for a player if he proves he can contribute. Time will tell if that’s true.

LB Anthony Spencer

The skinny: Spencer admittedly struggled early as a rookie last year in making the transition from college defensive end to NFL linebacker.[No, no, no...that's not what puke fans on ATN said! :laugh: ] But the light began to turn on for him late in the season and it has been burning bright since then. The Greg Ellis controversy during organized team activities was about the team’s preference to give Spencer more time so he can take the next step in his maturation process. The bottom line is the Cowboys believe they have three dynamic pass rushers in Ellis, Ware and Spencer. It worked for the New York Giants last season.

Safety Courtney Brown

The skinny: He made the transition from college cornerback to safety as a rookie last year. The Cowboys have always liked his athleticism and ball skills. He has a 41.5 vertical leap. He has been very impressive in camp so far — so much so that the Cowboys are giving him a look with the first-string dime defense ahead of incumbent Pat Watkins. He still must prove to the Cowboys that he is a willing and able tackler, but they think he has excellent coverage skills. Whether he moves ahead of Watkins or not, Brown is proving to be somebody to watch in the future.

Wide receiver Miles Austin

The skinny: While there has been a lot of talk about Austin and Sam Hurd competing for the third receiver spot, the bottom line is that Austin is the X-factor. Hurd is a solid possession receiver the Cowboys can count on. What the team needs is a player who can stretch the field, a la Terry Glenn. No receiver on the team has more speed than Austin. The only question in the past was his hands. Austin has been solid, if not spectacular, catching the ball in camp and is gaining the trust of quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee. Credit his work after practice catching passes from a Jugs machine.

Cornerback Evan Oglesby

The skinny: When the Cowboys opened camp talking about the improved depth at cornerback, nobody was thinking about Evan Oglesby. The talk was about Adam Jones and rookie draft picks Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick. There was optimism about 2007 seventh-round pick Alan Ball. But no one has made more plays in camp than Oglesby. He leads the team in camp interceptions and has made such an impression on the coaches that he might be hard to keep off the field. He needs to continue to develop in preseason games.

Yeah Carp, way to go!

• Tight end Jason Witten became so frustrated after being covered (or held, depending on the perspective) by Carpenter that he told defensive coordinator Brian Stewart to get Carpenter off of him.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/080508dnspocampreport.426bd29.html

:laugh:

Nice find.

I'm waiting for the puke fans to explain why Witten was whining.

:laugh:

Nice find.

I'm waiting for the puke fans to explain why Witten was whining.

What is absolutely amazing to me, is that I have not looked at 1 camp report for the skins this year. NOT ONE.

I have for the Gmen and Eagles.

What does that tell you about what I think of your team?

What does your posting of the arcane say about my team?

:cheers:

What is absolutely amazing to me, is that I have not looked at 1 camp report for the skins this year. NOT ONE.

The fact that you are one of the oldest members of this board and not even a Redskins fan tells me what you think of this team smartass.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously I practically fell of my chair laughing at you. Do you really know how ****ing retarded you sound? Obviously not! So because you have not read a Redskins training camp report, we are horrible? Do you believe in unicorns and clouds made of marshmellows? What about the moon made of cheese? Maybe if we talk to you like the five year old you sound like, we might have a conversation that brings us down to your intelligence level. :cheers:

Archived