Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn's arsenal being utilized, weapons fired

TSO

So much discussion about the HOF game has revolved around (in order of most time discussed) Colt Brennans' impressive performance, Todd Collins' percieved lacking performance, poor play on the part of some of our 2nd and 3rd stringers, the percieved poor defensive play, Jason Campbells' impressive performance, and finally good play from some of our younger guys.

All of these discussions are then followed with a large amount of responses that point to the fact that preseason is, well, preseason... and rightfully so in most cases.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have much of a problem with those discussions taking place, except that the negative stuff seems a little too prevalent considering the arguments, and thus the evident truths derived from most of those arguments, against most of what can be considered "bad play" are being spoken loudly and often... that's not the glaring problem here (and the problem is not really that much of a problem, and probably shouldn't be considered glaring.. but to call it such makes my thread much more interesting and worthy of being one ;)).

The glaring problem is simple. There's been little to no discussion about what our first team offense did against most of the first team defense of the Colts. I'm not just talking about Campbell's play here, nor Zorn's good play calling... I'm talking about everything all put together. We should all be ecstatic that our weapons are finally weapons on every play. It seems like there are no plays where we don't use what we have in the most efficient, effective, and damaging way against our opponent. THAT'S the mark of a good team.

Think about it (I know I know, that's quite tiresome). First, our running game was simple and effective. Our Oline was used doing what they do best, exploding off the line and getting that initial punch to open up some holes. Almost every running play had us knocking back the Dline first and worrying about everything else second. Yes, I know that's what we should be doing... but it's nice to be doing what we should be doing. We all knew we were keeping the same running game, and this is why. It's what our starting 5 on the Oline do best.

Now on to the passing game. The juicy stuff. Yum Yum. In order to be effective in the passing game, you've got to be versatile, never letting any defense key in on one particular aspect of your scheme. Many people think Gibbs was guilty of just running the ball in his first stint, but he wasn't. Yes, the hogs were awesome, and we had some great RBs... but we had a passing attack that would go over the top on opposing defenses at will. It put fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators, and whether or not they were sure we'd run... they'd be worried about the Play Action. From what we saw during this game, it looks like Zorn has our QBs play action passing ALL THE TIME. That's great news. But it gets better.

I want to shift focus back onto the first team offense again since we got a little off topic. If you take a look at Jason Campbell when he dropped back to pass, you'll notice he's faster getting back and is also making quicker decisions. What's great about it is that Zorn has him turning his head back almost everytime, even if he doesn't do a fully extended play action, just to hold the defense for an extra second, and then turns and in an instant gets rid of the ball. What's really special about this is that the guy he threw it to was open and in the right spot. Jason made the correct read based on the defensive scheme everytime, and got the ball accurately and on time to the reciever without hesitating for an instant. THAT'S hard to defend ladies and gentleman.

Get this... that's not the best part. :cool:

The best part is that, while our first team offense was out there, all of our playmakers got the ball, and if they didn't, they were essential to the development of the play during it and before it. Confused? Let me explain.

Cooley, Randle El, and Santana Moss all touched the ball during this time. Remember, the first team offense was not out there long, so that's impressive in and of itself. Amazingly, they all touched the ball the FIRST THREE PASSES. Nice. Here's how it developed:

First play: Jason Campbell to Chris Cooley on a quick hitch for about 8 yards.

Second play: Rock Cartwright off right tackle for about 18 yards.

Here is where we established the run. Next play? You guessed it, play action.

Third play: Jason Campbell play actions to Cartwright, waits for play to develop, and hits Randle El for the TD.

The key here is that not only are our playmakers touching the ball, they are all doing what they do best to get it in their hands, and what's more, even when they aren't going to get the ball. On the TD play to Randle El, Santana Moss is the reason he gets so open. Moss runs about 10 yards up field, forcing the CB to focus in on him especially considering his speed, then deep posts inside towards the middle of the field forcing both safeties to focus in on him... Moss' speed single-handedly took three defensive backs out of the play, and to top it off, Moss put his hands in the air when he got to one of the Safeties as if he's about to get the ball. :laugh: His speed should always be utilized to open things up for the other guys. Randle El is known for his exceptional route running skills, and that's why he was the guy who ran the most important route on the play and did it perfectly. Gotta love Randle El in the slot.

Every other play we ran with the first team offense afterwards had this same ebb and flow about it. My favorite play of the game was the second play of the next series, where right after Rock ran the ball for a good 6 yards to the left (with what was, once again, a smashmouth running play where even Antwaan Randle El was inside blocking) Jason Cambell play actioned and threw it to Moss on a quick hitch for about 8 yards. Average, you say? Well not when you consider the fact that Campbell did a sort of half-assed play action, something we haven't seen under Gibbs/Saunders, then as soon as he turned hit Moss for 8 yards. It was that simple. He got up to the line, saw the CB lined up off of Moss, knew he had it, and executed. No frills, but certainly a lot of thrills... I like what I'm seeing here.

Over-analyzing a preseason game am I? Absolutely. But I don't care. Redskin football is back. We've got weapons. They're being used. Tommy likey.

Thanks... I'm just hoping we see much of the same from Zorn from here on out. The way I see it now though, is that it's going to be hard for any defense to really stop us if we can continue this kind of efficiency. As usual, injuries play a big role... and let's not forget about defense. I just feel like we alread saw things in our offense through one preseason game we thought we'd be seeing back when Saunders was hired. No matter how you slice it, that's good.

yeah.... i think the keyword for Zorn's offense is going to be: EFFICIENT. everything just seemed to run so smoothly. i think we are going to find a way to best utilize the skills of our guys. i cant wait to see our first team play 4 quarters.

....michael likey also.

u know whats sad.... what u are describing is what seattle did to us the past two seasons int he playoffs. they are catching us offgaurd on defense and letting there no name recievers beat us.. and their shaun alexander matt strong little screens turning into big yards... i totally agree with what u are saying/. theres new life in redskins offense with playaction.. with gibbs it was boring. predictable. we knew when it was going to be run and a pass about 60 percent of the time. now with zorn im dotn even what he going to call has up his sleeve. good things hopefully. he is the reason why steve largent is who he is. he is the reason why matt hasslebeck is who he is. he is the reason we make it pass the second round beating the seahwak.. pluck them feathers baby

yeah.... i think the keyword for Zorn's offense is going to be: EFFICIENT. everything just seemed to run so smoothly. i think we are going to find a way to best utilize the skills of our guys. i cant wait to see our first team play 4 quarters.

....michael likey also.

I think you used the key word in your post, efficient. Not only did the offense seem efficient and organized, but the whole team did as well. I mean how many penalties did we have, a few, maybe? I Didn't notice any false starts either. Most preseason games are sloppy, Michael's and Madden kept commenting on how smoothly things were being run. I certainly noticed a large difference from the past years.

....michael likey also.

I agree man. :applause:

Btw, when I said "Tommy likey", I wasn't referencing my first name... it's a Chris Farley reference from the movie "Tommy Boy". I knew some of you would miss it, as with any movie reference! :laugh:

u know whats sad.... what u are describing is what seattle did to us the past two seasons int he playoffs. they are catching us offgaurd on defense and letting there no name recievers beat us.. and their shaun alexander matt strong little screens turning into big yards... i totally agree with what u are saying/. theres new life in redskins offense with playaction.. with gibbs it was boring. predictable. we knew when it was going to be run and a pass about 60 percent of the time. now with zorn im dotn even what he going to call has up his sleeve. good things hopefully. he is the reason why steve largent is who he is. he is the reason why matt hasslebeck is who he is. he is the reason we make it pass the second round beating the seahwak.. pluck them feathers baby

I definitely see the similarities, and I like it. The Seahawks are definitely a good offensive team, and they don't have half the weapons we do. I love the fact that Zorn, as we know of him now, isn't just doing one thing though. He's doing whatever works best with what we got. That's what a good coach does, and that's what Gibbs did for us. Although Gibbs II didn't completely go as planned, those playoff runs were all him... we were utilizing our weapons and dealing with what we got. Hopefully, Zorn can keep this up and do it consistently.

Over-analyzing a preseason game am I? Absolutely. But I don't care. Redskin football is back. We've got weapons. They're being used. Tommy likey.

Not over-analyzing a preseason game. Over-analyzing the first 9 plays of the first preseason game! :)

Hey I loved it as much as anyone but you make it sound like they've been doing this for 9 weeks. I agree that the first team offense made me giddy for all the reasons you mentioned. Those 9 plays have given us hope and a reason to believe that this offense will be more dynamic than what we've grown used to. I'd be surprised if they aren't much more exciting but I'm not getting my expectations up too high just yet. Here's to hoping you're right though! :cheers:

Its fine to get excited after such a well played game. You really can't say anything bad about the first team offense. Maybe that one sack on Campbell, but other than that they were perfect. I cannot wait to see what kind of rhythm the offense will be in after getting 5 preseason games to put things together. This was a perfect year to get 5 preseason games so that the offense has time to gel and work on timing and playcalling. I just wish September 4th would get here soon!!

Randle El is known for his exceptional route running skills

Not quite sure that his route running skills are exceptional. Like you stated before, Moss was the reason Randle was wide open in the endzone.

I do agree that El is getting better as a receiver, and I think he's better playing in slot.

A couple of things that got me excited was throwing the ball to setup the draws/run plays, typical in WCO. And, throwing the ball to the middle of the field, not just safe sideline passes! As simple as it is, it's going to be effective.

:2cents:

I appreciate the thought put into this post, however much of the same could be said after Spurrier beat up on the 49ers in Osaka. I'll reserve judgment until the regular season. Besides, the Colts are notorious for not putting forth the slightest bit of effort in preseason.

Hey man....this was a great post. I agree with you completely about the first team offense. JC definitely looked comfortable running this offense. (His drop back, the poise in the pocket, decision making and waiting for Randle El to clear the safety before throwing the TD. I'm really excited about this upcoming season and I hope that everyone gets/remains healthy throughout the year! When CP starts playing the playaction will be even more effective (although Rock did a hell of a job running the ball Sunday)

I can't wait until the season opener gets here and Zorn will really show the offense. I think that Zorn will be here for several years to come.....because he just brings excitement to the players/fans....and I'm sure he'll take risk here and there and not be afraid of going for it on 4th and inches at a critical part of the game.

I can see it now, I'm going to enjoy this season!

I liked that for the most part, when the skins needed 8 yards, they didn't always pass for 3 yards. I know there were a few times the qb's did, but the qb's played smart and took what they could get. The team as a whole had a different energy about them.

There was something for everyone.

A good glimpse at the starter matchups, as you say, a look at the potential players in a game situation and also some game candy for the fans with the W.

While the pros may see preseason more like scrimmage, the fans, the networks and the sponsors are also warming up to play their parts in regular season. After all, the NFL is all about entertainment as well as athleticism.

I was thinking the same thing, our WRs are better then theirs were, our RB is better, our TE is better. I am very excited about this year, i really hope JC looks like this the whole year.

I was thinking the same thing, our WRs are better then theirs were, our RB is better, our TE is better. I am very excited about this year, i really hope JC looks like this the whole year.

No offense...but man, the Redskins offense shouldn't even be put into the same sentence as the Colt's offense. Yet.

After all, over the last 5 years or so the Colts probably have the best offense we've seen in the NFL in a long time.

Let's hold off on the 'we're better' statements for a bit.

I loved the play calling and I loved the way the team moved in and out of the huddle with no delays, no false starts and everyone seemed to be on the same page. With that said, remember, much like us, the Colts didn't have their full compliment of starters. Freeney and Sanders (their 2 best defenders) didn't play and 2 of their 3 starting LB's weren't in there. The only offensive starter not in for us was CP. But I was really satisfied with the overall tempo of the offense, not only from the starters, but the 2nd and 3rd stringers as well.

No offense...but man, the Redskins offense shouldn't even be put into the same sentence as the Colt's offense. Yet.

After all, over the last 5 years or so the Colts probably have the best offense we've seen in the NFL in a long time.

Let's hold off on the 'we're better' statements for a bit.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Seahawks... :2cents:

Archived