Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If alien life IS discovered....

One Shot

What impact would this have on religion, if any at all? Would it help, hurt, not affect?

It may help possibly because it would be a discovery of a commonly pondered concept that we couldn't see and therefore brought skepticism, giving hope to those in search of some divine being.

But it may hurt as well because then you wonder, "Ok, if there is some sort of divine being, are these aliens in its jurisdiction? is there then a limit on the divinity now? How relevant does religion become now? Just a couple questions that would be raised....

IMO it would bring a decrease in religions population.

more importantly, if there is alien life and, as in the original star trek show, it's mostly made up of good-looking women with only *SLIGHT* physical differences from human women...

would it be okay to have sex with them? or would that be lumped in with bestiality?

more importantly, if there is alien life and, as in the original star trek show, it's mostly made up of good-looking women with only *SLIGHT* physical differences from human women...

would it be okay to have sex with them? or would that be lumped in with bestiality?

I don't know.....what makes us human?

Reminds me of the goofiest hymnal ever sung:

God of earth and outer space

God of love and God of grace

Bless the astronauts who fly

As they soar beyond the sky

God who flung the stars in space,

God who sets the sun ablaze

Fling the spacecraft thro' the air

Let man know your presence there

God of atmosphere and air,

God of life and planets bare

Use man's courageand his skill

As he seeks your holy will.

God of depth and God of height

God of darkness, God of light,

As man walks in outer space

Teach him how to walk in grace

Tell you though...if those aliens are equipped with giant death machines, I bet lots of people get religious all of a sudden. :)

It depends. If they are highly intelligent and have answers to many of our unanswered questions to the Universe and are not religious themselves then over the long term it hurts.

If they are religious themselves, it helps the over all religious number of humans (certainly some will leave Earth's traditional religions to join the new one, but over all numbers will go up (or at least quit decreasing)).

If it isn't intelligent, then no affect.

Wouldn't happen. We are much more sophisticated than the Aztecs were.

possibly... but relative to what? Sure, when you look at the progression of humanity as a whole, yes, we're much more sophisticated than the Aztecs were. But let's say they have knowledge of things far more advanced than what we know, that just makes us the Aztecs.

If they find us, chances are we're the Aztecs.

If we find them, chances are we're the Spanish.

Word.

Damn interesting question. I would think that everything written in the Bible, Torah, Koran would just end up being proved wrong. It's been awhile since I cracked open the Bible, but I'm pretty sure there was no mention about aliens in there.

are these "illegal aliens"?

I've been a resident alien here for almost a decade. Before that I was here as an alien, but was non-resident. At no time was I illegal. I hope that clears it up. :)

And if extraterrestrial beings arrive here with far superior technology you will be exactly what they tell you to be, and like it.

Damn interesting question. I would think that everything written in the Bible, Torah, Koran would just end up being proved wrong. It's been awhile since I cracked open the Bible, but I'm pretty sure there was no mention about aliens in there.

dinosaurs arent mentioned either.

neither is AIDS.

nor unicorns

the bible doesnt even mention motion pictures.

;)

The Aztecs in their time built an empire and rule a big chunk of territory. I imagine they must have felt fairly advanced at the peak of their power.

Well as they say there's always a bigger fish. It's funny how humans throw around that phrase so loosely that we completely overlook the idea that we may be dwarfed one day.

possibly... but relative to what? Sure, when you look at the progression of humanity as a whole, yes, we're much more sophisticated than the Aztecs were. But let's say they have knowledge of things far more advanced than what we know, that just makes us the Aztecs.

Word.

The aztecs thought the Spanish conquistadors were gods.

We know that the possibility of alien life is out there. So we expect it. We don't think they are gods. But then again we dont know what to expect.

I dont know how we could be compared to the Aztecs.

dinosaurs arent mentioned either.

neither is AIDS.

nor unicorns

the bible doesnt even mention motion pictures.

;)

Unicorns don't exist. But I see what you are saying. But what I mean is, there are a lot of people who interpret the Bible literally and if alien life is discovered it's gonna be a real rough reality check for them.

Unicorns don't exist. But I see what you are saying. But what I mean is, there are a lot of people who interpret the Bible literally and if alien life is discovered it's gonna be a real rough reality check for them.

first off, dont you EVER try to convince me that unicorns dont exist man..:laugh: that was just a joke and Im glad you got it.

I get what you are saying and I think there are a lot of people who are so bent on discrediting the Bible that they will try to hold it accountable for every little thing that happens in the world.

first off, dont you EVER try to convince me that unicorns dont exist man..:laugh: that was just a joke and Im glad you got it.

I get what you are saying and I think there are a lot of people who are so bent on discrediting the Bible that they will try to hold it accountable for every little thing that happens in the world.

well there must be some balance....there is a fair share of both types.

Archived