Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2008 Training Camp - Day 1 (Final)

JimmiJo

Was it packed? I got up this morning excited about going. Before heading out, I packed the cooler, grabbed a few folding chairs, brought a football to play catch with my kids and of course took a sharpie for autographs. As we pulled up at approximately 11:30, to my surprise...the damn camp was over! I didn't know it lasted only 3 hours. I remember it being much longer last year. Anyway, I'll be there bright and early tomorrow.

STB21's Morning at Redskins Park:

I arrived there kinda late, with the players already out in there lines stretching. Got me a good area to stand in to make sure I could see it all. After the stretching, the horn blew and the team broke up into Special Teams drills. On the main field, Coach Danny Smith was working with the punt protectors with picking up the blocks and releasing down field. After all these year, Coach Smith is just as voicetrous about the simple things in Spec Teams. On the other end of the main field they were working with the release guys. Those who are near the sideline and go down there for coverage, ala James Thrash. They were working on kick coverage. They had a tackling dummy set up, with another big pad behind it. The ball was tossed in the air to a coach, and if the coach called for a fair catch, the defender would have to hold up to prevent a penalty. But if he didn't, he could smash the dummy, in much delight of the fans. :)

Then the offense and defense broke down into positions. QBs threw to coaches, WRs ran routes, O-Line went with Buges to the sled, etc etc.

After that, QBs and WRs began working together on routes. None of the QBs were outstanding today. JC struggled at the start, throwing too tall to Moss on a crossing route. Todd Collins, was, well, Todd Collins. Just slow, steady, and accurate. Which I guess is a good thing. Colt Brennan was the 3rd QB, and he looked alright. Made some pretty decent throws on the run and hit the WRs on stride. But Colt was probably out-performed by Derek Devine. He made some good throws, and probably had the best deep ball today, hooking up with Burl Toler down the sideline for about a 50 yard TD.

QB Grade = C+

The WR looked good today. You could probably count the number of dropped passes on one hand. Santana runs very good routes, I don't see how it's even possible to cover him. He'd probably tie my shoes for me if I had to cover him. Both the rooks looked great for their 1st prac. Malcolm Kelly catches EVERYTHING. He caught a long TD pass today where he had to go up over the defender, and sure enough, he came down with it. Not to be outshined, D. Thomas ran a deep comeback pattern. The ball was thrown short, so Thomas had to lay out for the grab. He thought the defender didn't touch him, so he quickly got up and ran the rest of the way for a TD. Not sure if he was touched, but it's good to see him hustling like that. Thrash was Thrash. Reliable, soft hands, good routes. Mix was, Mix was tall. :silly: Nothing special, a couple catches.

WR Grade = A

It's hard to grade the RBs as to it was a non-contact practice. They did do a 7-on-7 drill where there were no WRs and CBs. Just QB, RB, FB, and TE on offense. And LB and S on D. They were working on check down routes, and short releases.

Cooooooooley!! Cooley did awesome today, caught everything that came close to him. Proved why he's a pro bowler and top 5 TE in the league. F. Davis showed up on time! I heard some fans around me calling him "Big Sleepy", which is a pretty cool nickname if you ask me. He made a couple nice catches, and showed GREAT hustle after the catch, running to the end zone from wherever he caught the ball, no matter where he caught it. He did let one pass go right through his hands and got a "AWWWWW" from the crowd.

TE Grade = A

OL looked good today. Buges was on them after every play. Not much to talk about since there wasn't a lot of contact, but they kept the DL away from the QBs for the most part.

DL took a hit when Phillip Daniels went down on the first play of 11 on 11s. For a minute we thought it was Andre Carter, we should have known better, cause next thing we saw was Iron Man himself giving Daniels a pat on his back. Carter got to Campbell one time that would have been a sack. Good to see.

DBs were FIRED UP today! "JT" Tryon, Leigh Torrence, and Reed Doughty had impressive outings. Tryon and Torrence would break up a pass, and then let you know they did it. Good to see young guys getting intense. JT broke up one pass and was hollering, and I could hear Randel El say, "Oh he got some spunk up in him, I like that!". :laugh: But Reed Doughty shut the haters up today. He had a bigger impact than LaRon today, given it could be a different story for LaRon if it were full contact :silly: ) Reed was everywhere, breaking up passes, in position to make tackles. On one play, a TE or RB did a little down and out on the far side of the field, with Reed right on his tale. The ball carrier went to turn up field, and when he looked down he didn't have the ball. Reed "Gimme Dose Cookies" Doughty stripped him and took it back the other way for what would have been a TD.

DBs = A

Players of the Day (Imo):

Offense: Chris Cooley/Malcolm Kelly

Defense: Reed Doughty

Today was a lot of fun and the park was PACKED. It wasn't as hot this year, but it wasn't no walk in the park. Both players and coaches were very enthusiastic. And many stayed after for autographs for the fans. Included were:

CP (I got one)

Mike Sellers

Cooley

Colt Brennan (I got one)

Malcolm Kelly

Devin Thomas

Marcus Washington

London Fletcher (I got one)

Stephon Heyer

Rock Cartwright

Anthony Mix

Fred Davis (I got one)

and more........

If you have any questions about camp or certain player performances, post them, and I'll try to answer, and will hopefully get help from others in attendance.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks, STB :cheers:...Nice summary!

What was Zorn like during practice? Animated? Laid back? Concentrating on the QBs? All over the field?

Mainly with QBs. Very voicetrous. If he sees something they did wrong, he'd stop them after the play and would show them what they did wrong. I could hear him explaining from the sidelines which was pretty cool. Definately different than from what we're used to with Gibbs.

um ... you sure you got the right guy? jimmijo asks every player the same three questions and then moves on to the next player. if the interview lasts more than 40 seconds, it's only because he forgot to turn the recorder off.

You mean I'm allowed to ask more than three?

STB21's Morning at Redskins Park:

Awesome Summary Redacted

Fantastic writeup STB21, thanks.

BTW, regarding your statement about Malcolm Kelly. The same thing jumped out at me when I was watching his highlight videos. On the tapes, he made a ton of catches on balls that were OBVIOUSLY poorly thrown. Given the fact that we don't exactly have Peyton Manning behind center, having a 6'4 vacuum cleaner at WR is a great security blanket.

Can anyone who was at the morning practice confirm whether or not Carlos Rogers participated in any drills today? I saw him dressed in one of murf's photos.

Thanks.

I think he did participate in some drills today. I mean if he was totally sitting out, what would be the point of him dressing. I can for sure tell you that he didn't do any of the 7 on 7 or 11 on 11s though. But he did do some drills I would think.

I think he did participate in some drills today. I mean if he was totally sitting out, what would be the point of him dressing. I can for sure tell you that he didn't do any of the 7 on 7 or 11 on 11s though. But he did do some drills I would think.

That's kinda what I figured. Just wondered if anyone happened to notice for sure.

I think C-los' health is going to weigh very heavily on our success or lack of it this year.

That's kinda what I figured. Just wondered if anyone happened to notice for sure.

I think C-los' health is going to weigh very heavily on our success or lack of it this year.

I definately agree. It was hard to see, cause the defense did their individual drills on the far field. I'm sure JimmiJo or someone could give you a definate answer.

Was Shawn Springs there?

Yep. The #1 CB too.

I definately agree. It was hard to see, cause the defense did their individual drills on the far field. I'm sure JimmiJo or someone could give you a definate answer.

Oh I understand that. Not only that, but you can't anticipate all the questions we weekends-off-challenged fools are going to have.

Your info in your summary filled in a lot of the blanks I had though. Again, 'preciate that.

Oh I understand that. Not only that, but you can't anticipate all the questions we weekends-off-challenged fools are going to have.

Your info in your summary filled in a lot of the blanks I had though. Again, 'preciate that.

:cheers:

If there's anymore questions, spit em out. I'll be here all night!

(Fred Davis)showed GREAT hustle after the catch, running to the end zone from wherever he caught the ball, no matter where he caught it. : :cheers:

Don't know about you STB21 but that left a huge impression on me ... he was hauling you know what. He looked fast as hell.

Archived