Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2008 Training Camp - Day 1 (Final)

JimmiJo

please tell me fred 'get out of bed!' davis is on the field and ready to light it up...

Sleepy Fred Head looked anything but sleepy, at least in my novice eyes ... he looks like a big ole WR running with the ball. He aslo looked real, real, atheletic ... they way he controlled his body and his running form did not make him look like 250+

Mix dropped a bomb from I think Campbell, and then he ran what looked like a sloppy route not long after that ...

Tyron made a decent play and got super pumped, then got the crowd into it ... it was pretty funny.

Can you elaborate on that please? What specifically is or was JC doing? Thanks

Its relative to years past. There always seem to be a lot of over thrown and under thrown balls and its been attributed to being early in camp. I'm not saying they were perfect by any means, there were some poorly thrown balls, but most of the throws that I saw were on target.

For the first day of camp, the passing drills were much more interesting and competitive because the throws were getting to the receivers. We got to see some competition between the receivers and the defensive backs instead of receivers running patterns, the secondary covering and the ball in the dirt or sailing over everyone's head.

Its relative to years past. There always seem to be a lot of over thrown and under thrown balls and its been attributed to being early in camp. I'm not saying they were perfect by any means, there were some poorly thrown balls, but most of the throws that I saw were on target.

For the first day of camp, the passing drills were much more interesting and competitive because the throws were getting to the receivers. We got to see some competition between the receivers and the defensive backs instead of receivers running patterns, the secondary covering and the ball in the dirt or sailing over everyone's head.

Thanks SNF. I'm 3,000 miles away scrambling through everything B&G I can find on the net, so the more info the better. :cheers:

Hi Jimmijo ... there are a few of us here who thinks Zorn hand-picked Brennan to be his QB of the future ... can you give us a snippet or two on how and what Colt is doing? Thanks for the great work!

I would not bet the house on that. He is still a bit of a side-arm thrower and his balls didn't have the zip of the other QBs. He seemed a bit late on throws but that is expected since he missed most of the offseason work recovering from his surgery.

I would say wait and see how he does in games.

I would not bet the house on that. He is still a bit of a side-arm thrower and his balls didn't have the zip of the other QBs. He seemed a bit late on throws but that is expected since he missed most of the offseason work recovering from his surgery.

I agree JimmiJo, his passes looked very soft ... compared to JC. Todd's passes looked pretty flat as well.

I noticed Zorn mentioned competition for the 3rd QB spot in his presser. That's got to mean Derek Devine has a shot. Any comments on his performance?

I noticed Zorn mentioned competition for the 3rd QB spot in his presser. That's got to mean Derek Devine has a shot. Any comments on his performance?

He made some very nice throws today. But again it was only with 1-on-1s with no pressure coming at him. He made a very nice pass deep to I think Burl Toler down the left side of the field for a TD. It was VERY nice. Probably the best thrown deep ball of the day.

I think we'll be able to say more when they get some real pressure coming at them.

He made some very nice throws today. But again it was only with 1-on-1s with no pressure coming at him. He made a very nice pass deep to I think Burl Toler down the left side of the field for a TD. It was VERY nice. Probably the best thrown deep ball of the day.

I think we'll be able to say more when they get some real pressure coming at them.

And FWIW, Colt Brennan was the 3rd QB in all the plays today. It'd go JC, then Todd, and Colt.

I agree. It is only day one, but Devine looked much better than Brennan. I was standing next to a Brennan fan, and he was disappointed but felt the same way. Again, only day 1.

Outstanding work JimmiJo... you're interview questions were top notch. :applause:

um ... you sure you got the right guy? jimmijo asks every player the same three questions and then moves on to the next player. if the interview lasts more than 40 seconds, it's only because he forgot to turn the recorder off.

How does Campbell's new stance seem to be working out?

Is there a noticeble difference?

Not much difference, and he seems to be getting more and more comfortable with it. The only time you can really tell is in his drop back, as we know, he's in a more athletic position.

Campbell today looked, OKAY. He started off kinda slow, missing some passes. But as time went on, he seemed to start to get it, and made some pretty impressive throws.

Brennan didn't look terrible, but he certainly didn't look great either. Actually, if we're being honest, none of the QBs had a lights out performance this morning. As is typically the case, the defense outshined the offense on day one with guys like Reed Doughty, Leigh Torrence and J.T. Tryon having a stronger showing than any offensive players.

Brennan didn't look terrible, but he certainly didn't look great either. Actually, if we're being honest, none of the QBs had a lights out performance this morning. As is typically the case, the defense outshined the offense on day one an guys like Reed Doughty, Leigh Torrence and J.T. Tryon had a stronger showing than any offensive players.

Yep. Hey murf, you catch JT barkin and holering after breaking up that pass? You gotta love that coming from a young guy.

If anyone had any question about our DB situation, today woulda made you feel alot better.

:applause:

Brennan didn't look terrible, but he certainly didn't look great either. Actually, if we're being honest, none of the QBs had a lights out performance this morning. As is typically the case, the defense outshined the offense on day one with guys like Reed Doughty, Leigh Torrence and J.T. Tryon having a stronger showing than any offensive players.

:paranoid:

OK, OK, sorry. I'm done now. I promise. Kind of.

:laugh:

Just got back from TC fellas, I'm ready to answer some questions for the guys who weren't able to be in attendance.

So ask away, and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Can you post a synopsis? Your general impressions? I'm sure more questions will come out of that.

Thanks!

Can you post a synopsis? Your general impressions? I'm sure more questions will come out of that.

Thanks!

Hey JimmiJo, or murf, if I do this should I just start a new thread? Or just post it in here?

I know you guys are probably busy putting more stuff up, so let me know.

:paranoid:

OK, OK, sorry. I'm done now. I promise. Kind of.

:laugh:

Trust me, I'm not completely sold that we're deep enough at safety heading into the 2008 season. I think we've got Landry and then a couple of decent guys we're hoping to not kill us. But this morning, Doughty was playing like he belongs on the field. Others already mentioned him stripping Cooley, but pretty much all morning he was in the right place making the right play.

I'll try to interview him this afternoon if I can catch him, and ask what's gotten into him this offseason.

I gotta admit h_h, your boy looked very impressive today. He was in the starting lineup, and proved why he is there.

Probably the standout on defense today.

That's awfully damned good to hear.

It's funny. My Doughty fandom started at Chewey's house. We were watching a game, I forget which one, but after a tackle I said, "Did you see who made that play?" Kind of as a joke.

Chewey was like, "No, who?"

"Reed Doughty."

So I started doing it everytime he made a stop. I think we were all amazed just how many opportunities he gave me to pop off about him. And I think it's only going to get better.

Trust me, I'm not completely sold that we're deep enough at safety heading into the 2008 season. I think we've got Landry and then a couple of decent guys we're hoping to not kill us. But this morning, Doughty was playing like he belongs on the field. Others already mentioned him stripping Cooley, but pretty much all morning he was in the right place making the right play.

I'll try to interview him this afternoon if I can catch him, and ask what's gotten into him this offseason.

I'd really appreciate that murf, thank you very much. :cheers:

Archived