Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Thing That Concerns Me About the "New" Snyder

Thinking Skins

I was honestly thinking of titling this thread "Campbell is the future". That was going to be an attention grabber because I'm talking about Scott Campbell and not Jason Campbell (not saying that JC is not the future, but I think Scott Campbell is). But I decided against it because of all the people who would post how they thought I meant Jason Campbell.

Anyway, I've been thinking back to the reasons why Zorn was hired. We're told basically that he was so strongly recommended as our OC by a number of the people interviewed that Snyder and Co felt that if we had him in that position, he'd be a head coach by next year. Well, that brings me to my point of concern. Couldn't the same thing be said about Scott campbell?

Here's an article that was written just after Campbell was named director of Player Personnell. Redskins' S. Campbell Makes Calls As Cerrato's Draft Day Lieutenant.

In that article, Campbell does a nice job talking the talk, and as some here have posted, he seems to be the guy behind most of our good moves. We've had some of our best drafts when he was director of college personnel, and we've had some of our best free agencies when he was the director of pro personnel. So is Campbell the puppetmaster pulling Zorn's strings? I'd think so.

So if this is the case, then why didn't Snyder do the same thing with Campbell that he did with Zorn? Why wasn't Campbell made our GM? I know it would involve treating Vinny the same way he treated Fassell, but nobody here likes Zorn (or at least nobody liked him back then). So if this is truly a new direction for the front office, I'd be more comfortable with Campbell being in a higher position than Vinny.

Either way, I think the promotion of Campbell could be the biggest indication of a change from our front office and the way we'll go about things in the future. And I think its also a reason why I don't think we'll be in the sweepstakes for the Favre things. Maybe if Louis Reddick were still here, we'd make a few phone calls, but he's been let go so I don't think we'll even come up in trade talk.

Very interesting. So are you saying that we are setting up Vinny as the culprit as GM and if he fails, Campbell is right there to take his place?

I wasn't explicitly saying that. In fact I was saying the opposite. I think that Campbell will get the credit no matter what. And so next year (or in a few years), I think he will be a hot commodity for GM positions. Luckily they don't come up as often as coaching positions do, but whenever Detroit fires Matt Millen, we may have some competition for his services.

I wasn't explicitly saying that. In fact I was saying the opposite. I think that Campbell will get the credit no matter what. And so next year (or in a few years), I think he will be a hot commodity for GM positions. Luckily they don't come up as often as coaching positions do, but whenever Detroit fires Matt Millen, we may have some competition for his services.

I hope he does become a hot commodity because there is only one way that can happen and that is for us to do well.

Either way, I think the promotion of Campbell could be the biggest indication of a change from our front office and the way we'll go about things in the future. And I think its also a reason why I don't think we'll be in the sweepstakes for the Favre things. Maybe if Louis Reddick were still here, we'd make a few phone calls, but he's been let go so I don't think we'll even come up in trade talk.

Actually I was just doing some news searches and found that Campbell was the guy who convinced the Falcons to draft Favre back in the day. Its scary!

Link, please.

This is from http://news.google.com/archivesearch?num=100&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tab=wn&q=%22scott+campbell%22+redskins

In picking QBs, a multitude of variables.(REDSKINS 2007)

$4.95 - Washington Times - ECNext - Sep 6, 2007

Scott Campbell serves as the Redskins' director of college scouting and back in 1991 helped persuade the Falcons to draft a quarterback named Brett Favre. ...

Actually I was just doing some news searches and found that Campbell was the guy who convinced the Falcons to draft Favre back in the day. Its scary!

Imagine if the Falcons never traded Brett Favre, they never would of had to deal with mike vick had Favre stayed there all his career. They may even have had consecutive winning seasons by now. And remember, wasnt it either Favres first nfl playing time or first start against us redskins? one or the other was, in our last Super Bowl season

Imagine if the Falcons never traded Brett Favre, they never would of had to deal with mike vick had Favre stayed there all his career. They may even have had consecutive winning seasons by now. And remember, wasnt it either Favres first nfl playing time or first start against us redskins? one or the other was, in our last Super Bowl season

Well, if you want to stay in fantasy land, imagine if we'd have kept Trent Green. We mighta still had Norv Turner as a successful head coach. scary.

Farve became the Farve we know BECAUSE of the trade. Holmgen's WCO fit Farve, the coaching Farve got was the reason Farve stepped up. At Atlanta, he was just an immature party-boy who slept through team meetings and was a fat (he weighed about 250) slob. He had a career threatening injury and the coaching staff didn't really like him. In the preseason, he almost played himself out of the NFL. In his real first game, none of his passes hit the ground, but as a Redskins fan, I'm sure you know they weren't complete either. While Brett had a much better career in the end, the Falcons had a 26-year old Chris Miller just coming off a pro-bowl year, and over the first 7 games of 1992, Miller was still outperforming Farve. Had Farve not been traded to Green Bay, Billy Joe Tolliver would have gotten the nod and I'd be that Farve would have been on the street by 1993.

So is Campbell the puppetmaster pulling Zorn's strings? I'd think so.

And you base that on what, exactly? If anything, Zorn's hiring has Vinny's fingerprints all over it. It isn't coincidence that the first coach that Vinny had a significant amount of influence hiring here is a WCO guy. Considering that Vinny cut his teeth at the home of the WCO, it makes sense that he'd end up going with him.

Campbell does deserve his due for what he has done for this team, but let's not get carried away with handing him the top job just yet, particularly since he's not the only talented guy Vinny has hired, bringing in Morocco Brown. (Yes, Campbell probably had as much to do with that hire as Vinny, but he did work under Vinny before Campbell even got here.)

Jason

I was honestly thinking of titling this thread "Campbell is the future". That was going to be an attention grabber because I'm talking about Scott Campbell and not Jason Campbell (not saying that JC is not the future, but I think Scott Campbell is). But I decided against it because of all the people who would post how they thought I meant Jason Campbell.

You could have avoided that problem by titling the thread "Scott Campbell is the future." :silly:

By the way, I don't agree with your comment about people not liking Zorn. I think people have been pretty high on him all along...and when it appeared Fassel would get the job, people REALLY warmed up to Zorn.

Regardless, I think most agree that S. Campbell is a rising star.

Archived