Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadline Looms For Cowboys, FS Ken Hamlin

DWinzit

Deadline Looms For Cowboys, FS Ken Hamlin

The Cowboys and agent Kennard McGuire have until 3 p.m. Tuesday to reach an agreement on a long-term deal for franchise player Ken Hamlin or else the Pro Bowl safety can only play for the one-year tender offer of $4.396 million. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones and McGuire kept negotiating on a multi-year deal last week, but the talks figure to take on more urgency. With more than $8 million in salary-cap room, money has not been the issue, however, the structure of the contract has because of changes in the collective bargaining agreement coming next year.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Are Cowboy fans still as confident as they were over the past few months that a long term deal is reached prior to the deadline?

A long term deal will be reached or he will play for the one year tender. No one walks away from 4 million dollars just to make a point...either way he will be in a cowboy uniform this year

Ken Hamlin-DB-Cowboys Jul. 14 - 11:35 am et

The Cowboys are "very close" to finalizing a multi-year contract with franchise player Ken Hamlin, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

For some perspective on what the terms may be, Troy Polamalu signed a five-year, $33 million deal in July of 2007 and Bob Sanders got five years, $37.5 million from Indianapolis last December. Hamlin isn't quite as good as those two, but a $30 million extension through 2012 might be a reasonable price tag.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Ken Hamlin-DB-Cowboys Jul. 14 - 11:35 am et

The Cowboys are "very close" to finalizing a multi-year contract with franchise player Ken Hamlin, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

For some perspective on what the terms may be, Troy Polamalu signed a five-year, $33 million deal in July of 2007 and Bob Sanders got five years, $37.5 million from Indianapolis last December. Hamlin isn't quite as good as those two, but a $30 million extension through 2012 might be a reasonable price tag.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Not "quite as good"? Really? Given the market, I would say 5 years, $25 Million sounds reasonable, given the player...

:2cents:

Not "quite as good"? Really? Given the market, I would say 5 years, $25 Million sounds reasonable, given the player...

:2cents:

:shhh: Let'em give out another BIG contract. I say $35 Million 5 year deal since he is signing later than the others.:D

A long term deal will be reached or he will play for the one year tender. No one walks away from 4 million dollars just to make a point...either way he will be in a cowboy uniform this year
I know he'll sign the one year tender, that wasn't my question.

Jeeze, I hope they sign him for a dozen years. He had a career year last year...and that secondary still sucked.

I hope they lock him up long term as well.

He wants Polamalu, Sanders, Reed $$$? :laugh: :D :laugh: Even you Cowgirls fans can appreciate the comedy there. He's nowhere near the level they are on.

:dallasuck Who cares? All the talk about bringing him in to improve that secondary and now they've gone after Pac oops, I mean Adam "Skrip Club" Jones to bolster this "amazing" defense even more. If its that good why can't you win with it? dallass has to blitz everydown because that secondary looks like training camp on Madden 06 on rookie. I just hope they keep old faithful around.(#31) Cooley could make it to the pro bowl off of the the two games we play against them alone.

As I suspected, the ol' confidence in him signing the long term deal is ...hiding

Hamlin isn't quite as good as those two, but a $30 million extension through 2012 might be a reasonable price tag.
:yikes: that sure sounds like a lot

yes Jerry loves deadlines
It looks like Hamlin won't be alone:
The Raiders are not expected to reach a deal with Nnamdi Asomugha before Tuesday's deadline for teams to sign franchise players long term.

Asomugha's "exclusive rights" tag is worth about $9.7 million. He's made it clear that he fully intends to play this year, but could still skip part of camp. Oakland probably should've given him the $66.28 million deal DeAngelo Hall (undeservedly) got in March, but Asomugha will be a Raider at least for 2008.

Source: Oakland Tribune

The agent for Cardinals franchise player Karlos Dansby concedes that his client is unlikely to sign a long-term contract before Tuesday's deadline.

"I don't think it's going to happen," the agent said. "There's a very significant difference in the two business positions. We're quite far apart." Dansby, who had 98 tackles and four sacks in 2007, will make $8.065 million in 2008.

Source: East Valley Tribune

The Ravens are reportedly making a "last ditch effort" to sign franchise player Terrell Suggs to a long-term contract.

This one may be harder than any other franchise player because Suggs will command money in the six-year, $72 million range. We'd bet against a deal being reached.

Source: ESPN Insider

Holy crap look at the numbers they're talking about now. :laugh:

ESPN's John Clayton seconds a Fort Worth Star-Telegram report that Dallas is close to reaching a long-term deal with franchise player Ken Hamlin.

Clayton says the contract will be for six years and keep Hamlin in Dallas until his career is over. It's probably in the $36-$40 million range. Hamlin's agent is currently in Big D hammering out details with owner Jerry Jones.

Clayton says the contract will be for six years and keep Hamlin in Dallas until his career is over. It's probably in the $36-$40 million range. Hamlin's agent is currently in Big D hammering out details with owner Jerry Jones.

Good God! First Barber now Hamlin! My Lord, it's like watching Snyder a couple of years ago.

Of course, this time, Cowboys fans will defend the owner overspending wildly...

Archived