Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying a boat for the first time.

stoney26

I thought there would be some people on here with some good advise. Im planning on buying a boat for the first and I really know nothing about them except I want one.

First of all Im looking to spend anywhrere from 5-10 grand depending on if I can get a really good deal or if I can find something that blows my mind away. I really like ones with the cuddy cabin and I would basically be using it for tubing and just taking it out on a nice day.

So my questions are,

1. What brands should I be looking for?

2. I know I probaly wont be gettting a new one so what would be an acceptable hour to year ratio? In other words is a 95 with 350 hours on it pretty bad? Is there a general formula I should be going by??

3. What is the oldest year I should think aboout getting?

4. How much is the yearly maintenance on a boat?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is a buyer's market out there, just like for cars. If you want an SUV of the seas, they are practically giving them away...

Play all the buyers off each other and you'll get a great deal. Of course, if you wait until the summer is over, the deals get even better.

It is a buyer's market out there, just like for cars. If you want an SUV of the seas, they are practically giving them away...

Play all the buyers off each other and you'll get a great deal. Of course, if you wait until the summer is over, the deals get even better.

What is the SUV of the seas? Anybody got suggestions on a good buy for around 10k?

What is the SUV of the seas? Anybody got suggestions on a good buy for around 10k?

A gas guzzler, power boat.

If you get a sail boat, I'll sail it back to you here in DC in exchange for beer and provission money. Look in the Carribean and Florida.

If you are lookiing for a boat to cruise and just tube/water ski then I suggest Bayliner.

bayliner215capri_sport_pictitle.jpg

Quality boats from what I know, which honestly isn't much. I hope to own a boat somedays soon as I love to Waterski and Wakeboard.

www.bayliner.com

These are probably gonna be real expensive because they are this years models. Check them out for the design and style you want and then look for used ones.

Your 25 and buying a boat? How is that possible? You win the lottery or something?

BTW I hear lake Anna is a great place to have a boat.

Ahh,

Buying a boat will be one of the happiest days of your life. The next happiest day will be the day you sell it!

I personally like Jet Boats for the simplicity of them. No worries about props, etc. The Yamaha exciter is a 5 person boat, the LS2000 is a 7 seater. Great for tubing & skiing too.

Here is my advice:

Don't do it.

I've been on the water my entire life. Owned my first boat at the age of 5, sold my last boat at the age of 16. All boats do is cost money, yes they are fun to go out on. I like OPB's (Other Peoples Boats).

I still race sailboats and wakeboard, I just don't own a boat any more it's too costly. Boat, Insurance, Slip fees, gas, sails, equipment, etc...

oh and bayliners fall apart.

Do you have your boaters license?

Here is my advice:

Don't do it.

I've been on the water my entire life. Owned my first boat at the age of 5, sold my last boat at the age of 16. All boats do is cost money, yes they are fun to go out on. I like OPB's (Other Peoples Boats).

I still race sailboats and wakeboard, I just don't own a boat any more it's too costly. Boat, Insurance, Slip fees, gas, sails, equipment, etc...

oh and bayliners fall apart.

Do you have your boaters license?

Didnt know you need a boaster license. Lol. Thanks tho.

If you are lookiing for a boat to cruise and just tube/water ski then I suggest Bayliner.

bayliner215capri_sport_pictitle.jpg

Quality boats from what I know, which honestly isn't much. I hope to own a boat somedays soon as I love to Waterski and Wakeboard.

www.bayliner.com

These are probably gonna be real expensive because they are this years models. Check them out for the design and style you want and then look for used ones.

Your 25 and buying a boat? How is that possible? You win the lottery or something?

BTW I hear lake Anna is a great place to have a boat.

Yeah. Lake Anna is pretty sweet. I live about 45 min from there. And I didnt win the lottery. I just work my ass off.

A 22' or 24' cuddy cabin with a single 200 hp outboard is an all around versatile boat that you can trailer easily. Use off shore in a lake or river. I've had a hydrosport and a wellcraft and was very happy with both. Aquasport, Mako and Grady white are also good brands. I'd stick to outboard motors as opposed to I/O or inboard with V8 engines.

You should be able to get one in the late 90's or a 2000 for that kind of dough. A yamaha engine would be a plus, evinrude or johnson (same company OMC) are well made. A 4 stroke would be preferable for gas economy.

4308_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-WELLCRAFT-238-COASTAL-WALK-AROUND-24-FOOT-FISHING_W0QQitemZ150264334609QQihZ005QQcategoryZ63726QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A 22' or 24' cuddy cabin with a single 200 hp outboard is an all around versatile boat that you can trailer easily. Use off shore in a lake or river. I've had a hydrosport and a wellcraft and was very happy with both. Aquasport, Mako and Grady white are also good brands. I'd stick to outboard motors as opposed to I/O or inboard with V8 engines.

You should be able to get one in the late 90's or a 2000 for that kind of dough. A yamaha engine would be a plus, evinrude or johnson (same company OMC) are well made. A 4 stroke would be preferable for gas economy.

4308_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-WELLCRAFT-238-COASTAL-WALK-AROUND-24-FOOT-FISHING_W0QQitemZ150264334609QQihZ005QQcategoryZ63726QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:notworthy :notworthy

Thank you. That is exactly what Im looking for. What do you think about Donzi's Dean? Im thinking about this one since its so close and from what I can find on the internet is a good deal although I will need to find a partner or get a loan for this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-255LXC-Cruiser-Great-Buy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80652QQihZ017QQitemZ270249433765QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Not to discourage you but do you have any idea how much gas for a weekend costs,plus upkeep?

I assume you have something capable of towing it as well?

I do like Wellcraft though.

I blew a fortune playing on the water till the kids come along. :cheers:

I'm going to throw my opinion in on this.

I work in the marine industry in Annapolis, I've been boating/sailing since I was 5.

Avoid bayliner bad build quality. If you want a cheaper powerboat look SeaRay isn't to bad.

Their are so many different types of boats cuddy cabin, bow rider, fishing and so on. Sit down and try to figure out what you want out of the boat. Are you going to be just cruising on the boat? Water skiing, tubing? Spending the night? These things will narrow your choice down.

Engine wise you just want to make sure you have a thorough check on the engine. Hours wise I'm not really sure if their is formula or not.

Year wise it really depends on the manufacture and build quality. Give the boat a real good once over, take someone who knows boats with you and let them check the boat out. Look for cracks in the fiberglass, not the gel coat but the actual glass. Check the electrical panel, exhaust and engine blowers if an inboard.

Maintenance on a boat can be a killer, theirs a reason Bring On Another Thousand is used. Preventive maintenance is the best kind. On average it can run a couple $100 or a couple $1000.

I'm going to throw my opinion in on this.

I work in the marine industry in Annapolis, I've been boating/sailing since I was 5.

Avoid bayliner bad build quality. If you want a cheaper powerboat look SeaRay isn't to bad.

Their are so many different types of boats cuddy cabin, bow rider, fishing and so on. Sit down and try to figure out what you want out of the boat. Are you going to be just cruising on the boat? Water skiing, tubing? Spending the night? These things will narrow your choice down.

Engine wise you just want to make sure you have a thorough check on the engine. Hours wise I'm not really sure if their is formula or not.

Year wise it really depends on the manufacture and build quality. Give the boat a real good once over, take someone who knows boats with you and let them check the boat out. Look for cracks in the fiberglass, not the gel coat but the actual glass. Check the electrical panel, exhaust and engine blowers if an inboard.

Maintenance on a boat can be a killer, theirs a reason Bring On Another Thousand is used. Preventive maintenance is the best kind. On average it can run a couple $100 or a couple $1000.

How much do you this maintenance is a year?? I was told its like 300 to winterize. I can get a slip for I think 1200 a year. What other maintenance is there??

Im thinking of something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-255LXC-Cruiser-Great-Buy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80652QQihZ017QQitemZ270249433765QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Not to discourage you but do you have any idea how much gas for a weekend costs,plus upkeep?

I assume you have something capable of towing it as well?

I do like Wellcraft though.

I blew a fortune playing on the water till the kids come along. :cheers:

I do have a truck. How much do you think Ill spend a year in up keep? A weekend in gas?

More than likely its going to be a lot less. Most of my reference is to larger sailboats.

Replacing equipment, engine maintenance little things can add up. You can winterize the boat yourself especially it's not difficult. 1200 for a slip is pretty solid.

That's a nice boat, remember the larger the boat the more it costs to maintain just like a house.

How much do you this maintenance is a year?? I was told its like 300 to winterize. I can get a slip for I think 1200 a year. What other maintenance is there??

that's a cool looking Donzi. No trailer though and it's a big block chevy V8 with an out drive (probably a volvo) when the I/O goes it's a grand or two. Inboards have to have their exuast manifolds serviced or replaced regularly.

The last boat I had was a 24' Hydrosport center console with twin 175 hp evinrudes. They had been rebuilt with new powerheads ($4500) before I bought it. I put 800 hours on that boat in 4 years (all off shore salt water) and never had one problem with it. Well the steering fluid leaked but I never fixed it :silly: . Mean while, my friend had a 28' chris craft and we replaced the mercruiser 5.7 litre (chevy 350 cu/in) motor 3 times in the same period, plus multible exaust manifolds, inboard prop shaft bearings and seals, steering hoses....

That's why I'd recommend an out board motor. That Donzi looks like a ***** palace though :laugh:

I do have a truck. How much do you think Ill spend a year in up keep? A weekend in gas?

Upkeep and maintenance about $1000 a yr if you use it much.

Gas?...I used to spend $200 a weekend 25 yrs ago

The boat you showed last? count on 30 gallons a day...at least,more if you tube alot.

Example

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13190&page=2

I have a 2855 with a 5.7. My doctor friend has a 2855 with a 7.4. Our boats were parked next to each other for 3 years. At cruising speed, I burn 9.5 GPH. The doctor burns 14 GPH. He cruises faster than me, but.....and again, the engine doesn't have a brain and has no idea if it is working hard or not. You still get to buy the gas.

Archived