Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA TODAY: "Redskins' future hinges on the Campbell-Zorn connection"

TD Riggo

In today's (?) USA TODAY (MODS: I ran a search and came up with no posts on this story.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ASHBURN, Va. — After the Washington Redskins' final session of OTAs (organized team activities) in June, the player who might well be the key to whatever success the team has this season stood outside in the shadows of the team facility and, almost in rote fashion, provided answers to the same questions that have shadowed him throughout his college and NFL careers.

That's because quarterback Jason Campbell, entering his fourth season as a pro, is adjusting to a different offensive system for the seventh time in eight years.

No, really.

Four times at Auburn. And now for the third time with the Redskins since he was selected in the first round of the 2005 draft.

This time it's the system of new head coach Jim Zorn, the man who replaces the man who was the man in D.C. for so many years but shocked the organization last winter when he pulled the plug one year early on his second go-round as Redskins coach.

That, of course, would be Joe Gibbs, he of the three Super Bowl trophies during his first run but just two playoff appearances during his second, four-year stint.

Enter Zorn, lured to Washington from his post as the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach.

He brings with him Seattle coach Mike Holmgren's West Coast offensive philosophy, hence Campbell starts all over … yet again.

Continuity? Pardon Campbell for smirking. Yet if nothing else, he at least has the continuity of constant change.

"I feel like I get better and better each and every day," Campbell says of his early work in Zorn's system. "I feel good about the offense we're running. Guys are excited."

Soon after he was hired, Zorn stressed that one of the primary things he would stress to Campbell is that, yes, you once again have a new offense to learn. But, you know, get over it. Deal with it.

Deal with it, indeed.

++++ Read the rest here

The article does nothing for me.

We heard the same thing with Al Saunders's offense and how Jason was the first to arrive and last to leave. How did that turn out?

I'll wait til the season starts to judge how far along Jason is.

This was a pretty good article. I am really excited to see how JC is doing with the new offense as well as the rest of the offense, but more Jason.

The one thing I really struggle to understand is why the coaching staff wants to move Landry back to strong safety. The guy was a monster at FS at the end of the season. So why they would fix something that isn't broke, so to say, does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have a real hard time getting excited about preseason hype. Its the same thing every year, for every team - we really don't have any holes, and if we do have a hole, the new guy is doing a great job. People on ES were getting blasted last year for even suggesting that Wade didn't have the right physique to play guard. I mean, Buges says he's doing great, really great, he loves this guy, blah, blah, blah, and who knows more about lineman, Buges or some nerd on ES?

Archived