Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Redskins counting on healthy Jansen to anchor offensive line

Walking Deadman

Something to help tide you over in a offseason lull:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfceast

Redskins counting on healthy Jansen to anchor offensive line

ORT Jon Jansen is expected to rejoin the starting lineup following a painful double injury that he incurred in the season opener last season against Miami. Jansen reportedly is in good shape following rehab of his broken right leg and dislocated right ankle, earning a big thumbs-up from OL coach Joe Bugel, but Jansen still has a ways to go before he’s completely healthy. Having him back would allow the team to move slowly with promising OT Stephon Heyer, who had his moments as an undrafted rookie who was pressed into starting duty for five games. Heyer has a future, and the new staff appears to like him, but it would be ideal if Jansen could hold down the position for another season or two before they entrust the position to Heyer. As a safeguard, Jansen took snaps at center this summer and also said he was open to playing guard if it meant he could extend his career or improve the line.

As a safeguard, Jansen took snaps at center this summer and also said he was open to playing guard if it meant he could extend his career or improve the line.

Jansen is such a great leader and exemplary team player. Although being a great tackle for years, he's humble enough to change roles if it's for the good of the team. Guys like him, Phillip Daniels, and London Fletcher are great to have around to groom good attitudes for the youngsters we're now adding.

Kudos to John Jansen

He's done!

:D

Let's hope he can play like he did 4-5 years ago. If he plays like he did last preseason, we're in trouble.

:laugh:

Parcells said Jansen had lost a step, then add that to the recent (but freak) injuries and suddenly he's washed up and injury prone.

He's older, not what he used to be but honestly who is going to replace him?

I think he's still a viable option at RT, and I think if everyone is healthy our O-line can return to its 06 form.

:laugh:

Parcells said Jansen had lost a step, then add that to the recent (but freak) injuries and suddenly he's washed up and injury prone.

He's older, not what he used to be but honestly who is going to replace him?

I think he's still a viable option at RT, and I think if everyone is healthy our O-line can return to its 06 form.

Well, that is one of the problems we face. Heyer is still a year away I think from really being ready to see if he can carry the load. I think Rinehart also has the tools to play there, but he's just a rookie and I'd rather not have a rookie out there for 16 games. Still I think his play has dropped considerablely.

Well, that is one of the problems we face. Heyer is still a year away I think from really being ready to see if he can carry the load. I think Rinehart also has the tools to play there, but he's just a rookie and I'd rather not have a rookie out there for 16 games. Still I think his play has dropped considerablely.

I'd say its hard to tell.

His play has dropped..but considerably? Take away the injuries and it would be a different story IMO.

I think we'll be pretty well off, especially if Buges stays around.

We have veterans mixed with youth, a damn good O-line coach and two running backs that are proven.

Seriously now, what is this perception of Jansen based off of? He played one game last season, actually half a game. 2006 he was part of an OL that allowed a guy like Betts to rush for over 1000. If his injury and age are your reasoning, than it is an assumption as we haven't seen how Jansen has recovered from the injury given his age.

I agree I want this guy to come back badly. He's in the Top 10 of my all time favorite Skins both as a person and a player. He loves the game so much and I know it killed him last season to be sidelined. Hopefully 76 will be back in there creating lanes for 26

Something to help tide you over in a offseason lull:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfceast

Redskins counting on healthy Jansen to anchor offensive line

ORT Jon Jansen is expected to rejoin the starting lineup following a painful double injury that he incurred in the season opener last season against Miami. Jansen reportedly is in good shape following rehab of his broken right leg and dislocated right ankle, earning a big thumbs-up from OL coach Joe Bugel, but Jansen still has a ways to go before he’s completely healthy. Having him back would allow the team to move slowly with promising OT Stephon Heyer, who had his moments as an undrafted rookie who was pressed into starting duty for five games. Heyer has a future, and the new staff appears to like him, but it would be ideal if Jansen could hold down the position for another season or two before they entrust the position to Heyer. As a safeguard, Jansen took snaps at center this summer and also said he was open to playing guard if it meant he could extend his career or improve the line.

I seriously doubt the position is being groomed for Heyer, as this article implies. I agree he is promising, but not starting RT material.

Seriously now, what is this perception of Jansen based off of? He played one game last season, actually half a game. 2006 he was part of an OL that allowed a guy like Betts to rush for over 1000. If his injury and age are your reasoning, than it is an assumption as we haven't seen how Jansen has recovered from the injury given his age.

Actually it is based off of last years pre-season. He looked terrible. In 06, we did the majority of our running behind Samuels and Dockery.

My reasoning is not based of injuries or age. Actually I'm not even sure where you got either of those from, as I have never mentioned either. My take on Jon is that he was a power blocker, with limits in quickness. He has lost the power that made him a good RT in the league. I say that because what I saw in preseason was him getting steamrolled by DE's. He wasnt getting out quicked by them, just blown back into the offensive backfield. If he hasnt got the strength he one had and never had the quickness to be more of a finesse player and "manuver" guys, he's in trouble. He was healthy then, so injuries were not a factor as they were in 06' with his calf (and he did struggle all year) If anything I dont think he is the same guy he was before the achelles tear. That is a major, major injury to have.

If you dont know why I think a certain way, ask. You dont have to agree with it. But I am gettting a little tired of you making assumptions on why I feel a certain way based on stuff I never said. If you dont know, I'll be very happy to clarify. You can think I'm full of **** after that, that's up to you.

Actually it is based off of last years pre-season. He looked terrible. In 06, we did the majority of our running behind Samuels and Dockery.

My reasoning is not based of injuries or age. Actually I'm not even sure where you got either of those from, as I have never mentioned either. My take on Jon is that he was a power blocker, with limits in quickness. He has lost the power that made him a good RT in the league. I say that because what I saw in preseason was him getting steamrolled by DE's. He wasnt getting out quicked by them, just blown back into the offensive backfield. If he hasnt got the strength he one had and never had the quickness to be more of a finesse player and "manuver" guys, he's in trouble. He was healthy then, so injuries were not a factor as they were in 06' with his calf (and he did struggle all year) If anything I dont think he is the same guy he was before the achelles tear. That is a major, major injury to have.

If you dont know why I think a certain way, ask. You dont have to agree with it. But I am gettting a little tired of you making assumptions on why I feel a certain way based on stuff I never said. If you dont know, I'll be very happy to clarify. You can think I'm full of **** after that, that's up to you.

I did ask why you thought a certain way, lol. That's why I posed the question instead of simply saying your opinion was stupid.

Jansen didn't look phenomenal at times in preseason '07, I'll admit. I personally though do not think that is enough of a basis to confidently say he has lost it. Is it reasonable to assume Jansen may have lost a step due to age and injury? Yes. But right now saying he is no good is an assumption.

And calm down with this thinking I have a problem with you. I don't. That is why I actually debate with you and counter your points, instead of attacking your logic, cuz your logic typically vibes with what you are trying to say (unlike a lot of other posters). I'm pretty sure I didn't make an assumption about you. If I did please point out where.

I did ask why you thought a certain way, lol. That's why I posed the question instead of simply saying your opinion was stupid.

Jansen didn't look phenomenal at times in preseason '07, I'll admit. I personally though do not think that is enough of a basis to confidently say he has lost it. Is it reasonable to assume Jansen may have lost a step due to age and injury? Yes. But right now saying he is no good is an assumption.

And calm down with this thinking I have a problem with you. I don't. That is why I actually debate with you and counter your points, instead of attacking your logic, cuz your logic typically vibes with what you are trying to say (unlike a lot of other posters). I'm pretty sure I didn't make an assumption about you. If I did please point out where.

A couple poped up recently. One in this thread and one in the one about gameplanning against the redskins.

I agree, 4 games are not enough. But he didnt look good at all in 06' either. Granted he was not healthy with his calf giving him problems all year. But when you have an achelles injury, that is a pretty big deal, alot of guys done come back from those. And Jon being a power guy I can see that really affecting him. And then seeing him healthy in preseason getting blown back on almost every play by Antwan Odom.....didnt make me feel very good about how he was playing. His age to me is not a factor, Tackles can play well into their 30's and guards can do that as well. Which is why I'm not crying about Pete Kendall being 35 and going to start this year (like I do about Philip Daneils). And I still think Jon can be a pretty good run blocker, just not as dominant as he used to be. I just think he is a liablity in pass protection.

Based on his history of serious injuries and that he hasn't looked good in pass protection in the little time he's been on the field in recent years (IMO), counting on Jon Jansen to "anchor" the line isn't a good idea. But that's not my decision to make.

Hopefully, he'll be fine. If not, I think the Skins will need to make a trade for a RT. I just don't think that the people who we can play there right now can hold up well for a full season.

Jon's had a string of terrible luck with these freak injuries, especially considering how much of a rock he was for his first six years or so.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I always thought he was a pretty good athlete.

His body has had a lot of time to rest and heal. If he feels good and has his power back, I'm anxious to see him in preseason.

Based on his history of serious injuries and that he hasn't looked good in pass protection in the little time he's been on the field in recent years (IMO), counting on Jon Jansen to "anchor" the line isn't a good idea. But that's not my decision to make.

Hopefully, he'll be fine. If not, I think the Skins will need to make a trade for a RT. I just don't think that the people who we can play there right now can hold up well for a full season.

I hope it does not come down to needed to make a trade. While I share you opinion that he isnt the player he used to be, I do hope he can get closer to he old level than he has played in the last few years. If not, I hope that Heyer has improved over the off-season enough to be more solid overall and can fill the gap if need be. Stephon didnt have Randy Thomas to help him last year, so even if Jon ends up defering to Heyer, haveing Randy over there should make Heyer better, even if Heyer didnt improve over the off-season. I'd much rather suck it up for 1 year and deal with a problem over there with a young guy next year than trade a guy that might have had a big impact for our team for several years for a stop-gap fix.

Jon's had a string of terrible luck with these freak injuries, especially considering how much of a rock he was for his first six years or so.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I always thought he was a pretty good athlete.

His body has had a lot of time to rest and heal. If he feels good and has his power back, I'm anxious to see him in preseason.

yeah, I don't know where injury prone comes from. He got hurt in 2004, was healthy and effective for 2 full seasons, then had a completely unrelated injury in 2007. - He's also one of those players who's never given his all in pre-season.

I do like that he's willing to move around if it prolongs his career (like Jacoby and Grimm did), because that sounds to me like he doesn't want to leave this team.

Samuels (anchor)> Jansen > Heyer. So while Jansen isn't the anchor of our line, he is the starter, a team leader, and a veteran who has faced some of the baddest defensive ends in football and held up just fine. Last preseason everyone looked rusty, so I take that witha grain of salt. The injury he suffered was nearly a year ago and he has been intensively rehabbing it since and says he's ready. I think he'll be just fine next to Randy Thomas this season, so long as he doesn't hurt himself again.

I seriously doubt the position is being groomed for Heyer, as this article implies. I agree he is promising, but not starting RT material.

Atleast not at this moment, he isn't.

You may be singing a different tune come Training Camp '09.

While I expect Jansen to be the starter this year, I really expect Heyer to make a push in 2009.

This is why I am looking forward to preseason b/c I want to see Heyer, James, Thomas, Davis, Kelly, Rhinehart, and others play b/c some of these guys won't be starters in 2008 but are going to be in 2009 and beyond.

Archived