Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Steelers Release RB Davenport

Steelers cut Davenport after failing to trade running back

After shopping running back Najeh Davenport in hopes of a trade, the Pittsburgh Steelers have now released the six-year veteran.

The Steelers, who feature Willie Parker as their starting running back, had also acquired running backs Rashard Mendenhall -- their first pick in the 2008 draft -- and free-agent Mewelde Moore, making Davenport expendable.

Davenport rushed for a career-best 499 yards with a 4.7 yard-per-carry average last season. He played with the Green Bay Packers from 2002-05.

Pittsburgh had been contacting teams to determine trade interest before Davenport's release, according to a source who spoke to ESPN.com's John Clayon.

Davenport, who will still be paid $1 million for the 2008 season, was in the final year of his contract with the Steelers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3465125

Davenport played well for them last season, but I guess they didn't need him because they got Mendenhall. Good pickup for whoever gets him.

Somebody is going to say "vet min + incentives." Davenport is worth more than that, and I think he'd actually be a decent signing... if we needed another back. But I think he will make noise somewhere this year. He is a good back who has size and speed.

Somebody is going to say "vet min + incentives." Davenport is worth more than that, and I think he'd actually be a decent signing... if we needed another back. But I think he will make noise somewhere this year. He is a good back who has size and speed.

Yeah, I'd love to have him if we actually needed him. I see him going to Chicago or Houston or Denver maybe?

I can only assume that they dropped Davenport because of financial reasons - because Mewelde Moore is no Najeh Davenport.

I think they like the idea of having a young stud in Mendenhall, who's a bit of a power back himself, to complement Willie Parker over having Davenport. I think Moore will be more of a 3rd down back/PR or something.

from Wikipedia:

"Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport achieved a small measure of infamy after he allegedly defecated in the laundry basket of a Barry University woman in her dorm room on April 1, 2002. In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service."

Haha, I can say is wowwwwwww.

from Wikipedia:

"Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport achieved a small measure of infamy after he allegedly defecated in the laundry basket of a Barry University woman in her dorm room on April 1, 2002. In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service."

What a crappy thing to do :laugh:

See the disclaimer at the bottom of my sig. Just say no to, Najeh "Poop" Davenport.

It would have been ten times as funny if Deuce McCallister had been the one dropping loads in peoples' laundry.

:laugh: :silly:

If Najeh's been rehabilitated, I can see a Tide endorsement deal in his future.

Davenport is a servicable change-of-pace back who will catch on somewhere. Chicago, maybe.

from Wikipedia:

I guess she didn't take no :pooh: from any one!

Archived