Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PETA sure to go, uh, bananas!

redman

Morocco offers US monkeys to detonate mine

From the International Desk

Published 3/24/2003 6:43 AM

View printer-friendly version

RABAT, D.C., Morocco, March 24 (UPI) -- A Moroccan publication accused the government Monday of providing unusual assistance to U.S. troops fighting in Iraq by offering them 2,000 monkeys trained in detonating land mines.

The weekly al-Usbu' al-Siyassi reported that Morocco offered the U.S. forces a large number of monkeys, some from Morocco's Atlas Mountains and others imported, to use them for detonating land mines planted by the Iraqis.

The publication quoted a highly-informed source as saying, "that is not a scientific illusion but a well-known military tactic."

I'm not sure what's funnier, the use of the monkeys or Moroccans' outrage over this "assistance". :laugh:

Anything involving monkeys is funny. :laugh:

Originally posted by Montilar

Well, a few days ago (back at the beginning) there was a report (with a couple second picture) of the navy using trained dolphins to hunt down mines in the ocean....

Yeah, but they don't use them to blow up the mines. they just find them. There is almost no danger to the dolphins. I don't think you have to be a PETA member to find using monkeys to blow up mines repulsive.

Now Michael Moore? No big loss.

This is pretty amazing, it’s a side of the armed forces I've never seen before. If they could point a herd of wildebeest at Baghdad, our troops could sweep in behind the stampede. The possibilities are limitless; you could unleash swarms of trained bees at an entrenched enemy. I think this is genius stuff, the pachyderm has a storied military history, perhaps Rumsfeld could ride into Baghdad on the top of a magnificent bull elephant.

Back in WWII, there was a program for using bats to deliver bombs. The rationale was the bats when released from the air would naturally seek out shadowed areas like bunkers. It never worked, and funds for the program were eventually diverted to the Manhattan project.

:notworthy -Mad Mike, that was about the funniest post I've read in a LONG LONG time :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

Archived