Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC uncovers lost Iraq billions.

Baculus

Oh,I agree they waste and give away too much money.

Government is inherently corrupt

one example ;)

http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=298595185267130

I'm curious,do you believe private contractors should make a profit?..is that treasonous?

I'm not in favor of using them at all,but that is a different matter.

Obviously, private defense industry firms are going to make some profit - it's the modern world and the nature of the beast. But further issues arise from this machinery. We have the "Iron Triangle," which is the relationship between Congress, various government agencies, and special interest groups. We have the Military-Industrial-(Congressional) complex of which Eisenhower was warning future generations.

He was talking directly to us.

Our nation must be defended, weapons developed, and our border safety secured. But other nations seem to be able to defend themselves and develop weaponry with fewer examples of war profiteering.

Part of the issue also is that these other nations are not at war - we are, and that is what creates the conditions to wholesale scamming of the public trust, especially in an "anything goes" environment with little accountability.

The war machine likes war: It's good business. That is why they find ways to continue business. It's why military men such as Eisenhower and Smedley Butler spoke about this issue, because they are intimately familiar with it.

Read "War is a Racket," and even for his time, Mr. Butler, a decorated Marine, was well-aware of this problem:

(Scroll down a little to see the read.)

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm

I think there is a difference between running a business at a for-profit effort, and lying, cheating, and gaining your money through fraudulent means: This is part of the issue involved with war profiteering. It just isn't the issue of showing a profit due to warfare, but gaining these profits in illegal or unethical means.

After all, war profiteering also involves breaking the law.

Just sickening, especially when you look at the reasons for going to war in the first place :doh: . Hard to argue that it wasn't a premeditated plot to pillage the US economy. Do we still have an economy? :rolleyes: . The same ones that are noticably absent from this dicussion will be pulling the "R" lever again this fall :doh:.

edit: they're all in the "Gore energy consumption" thread :doh:

I think there is a difference between running a business at a for-profit effort, and lying, cheating, and gaining your money through fraudulent means: This is part of the issue involved with war profiteering. It just isn't the issue of showing a profit due to warfare, but gaining these profits in illegal or unethical means.

After all, war profiteering also involves breaking the law.

This is the main issue I have with the original article,there are little to no facts,and what facts they list SHOW the system going after those that DO break the law.

In a war where billions are spent or in our nations budget there are countless opportunities for dishonesty and fraud....it is not a partisan issue.

In a war where billions are spent or in our nations budget there are countless opportunities for dishonesty and fraud....it is not a partisan issue.

You're absolutely right, this isn't a Republican/Democrat thing, its about this administration. Bribes, no-bid contracts...I don't know if people really understand how TERRIBLE this White House has been for the country.

I'm a Democrat, I disagree with most of the Republicans' ideas but I realize that what Bush has done isn't entirely the GOPs fault.

Its pointless now, but Bush shouldn't have even lasted 8 years, it makes me sick to think that he fooled this country into re-electing him.

Dax: And, as the 34th Rule of Acquisition states: "War is good for business."

Quark: That's the 35th Rule.

Dax: Oh, that's right. What's the 34th?

Quark: "Peace is good for business." It's easy to get them confused.

This is the main issue I have with the original article,there are little to no facts,and what facts they list SHOW the system going after those that DO break the law.

I agree that these issues affect both parties, which is why I wasn't trying to connect the issue to any party in particular, but more so to presidential administrations. After all, during Clinton's presidency, we had billions in unaccounted federal spending as well.

But this issue, in recent terms, certainly involves many Republicans, by-way-of association, political party, and business affiliation. Democrats certainly have been involved in corruption, but Republicans have to realize they need to clean house, because much of the current corruption, to the tune of billions of dollars, is certainly related to members or supporters of that party.

Archived