Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: Early Reaction to Gore's Endorsement of Obama? Yawn.

Goaldeje

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/06/al-gore-react.html

Click Link for more

Some early overnight reaction to the belated endorsement of Barack Obama by Al Gore. And it might disappoint the former vice president and loser in the 2000 White House race.

Exactly what Gore was waiting for in the past two weeks since Obama sewed up his party's nomination is unclear. Maybe he just wanted to go to Michigan where his prize-winning environmental pitch is so very less welcome than other places that don't make so many large cars.

The belated endorsement of Barack Obama by former vice president Al Gore seems to have underwhelmed a number of early writers

Or maybe he was waiting until his endorsement meant absolutely nothing.

Anyway, as The Ticket reported, Gore said all the right things in his endorsement speech, except he noticeably left out the last Democratic president, the one who chose to elevate Gore from has-been senator to his running mate and has been the only Democrat elected president twice since World War II, which is like the Middle Ages for today's voters.

But within minutes online reaction was underwhelming. Joe Gandelman, editor-in-chief over at The Moderate Voice, who is usually, well, very moderate, posted an item titled "Obama gets 'the' Endorsement: The Lousy Timing of Al Gore."

He had this to say:

"Perhaps one day someone will write a chapter in a new book about Al Gore titled 'Profiles in Uncourage.'...But it came so late in the game that the person who'll be most impressed with it will be Tipper Gore."

After that the item went downhill. Gandelman said the endorsement so long-sought by Obama and Hillary Clinton was by now such an anti-climax that it resembled the ponderings about whether Ralph Nader would run yet again.

Ouch, how'd you like to be compared to the 21st century's Harold Stassen?

Click Link for More

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/06/al-gore-react.html

I think he stayed quiet for so long because he backed Dean and kerry got the nod, he did not want to repeat that mistake.

I like the guy but he sounded bitter last night

I also was looking at him wondering what he would have done had he been president on 9/11

I was looking at him wondering why he and Clinton sat on their hands with control of both houses in the early 90s.

If the environment was really that important to him, why didnt he do something about it when he had the chance?

That and I thought, well duh, is there ANY Dem out there who DOESNT support Obama at this point?

Ummm, he quit.

Nobody booted him. He lost his primary.

With Dean supporting his rival and raising money for him along with moveon

He still sit though as an independent Democrat and sits as part of the Democratic Senate caucus

With Dean supporting his rival and raising money for him along with moveon

He still sit though as an independent Democrat and sits as part of the Democratic Senate caucus

I wonder what he'll do if McCain wins though? Would he start to caucus with the GOP?

I was looking at him wondering why he and Clinton sat on their hands with control of both houses in the early 90s.

If the environment was really that important to him, why didnt he do something about it when he had the chance?

That and I thought, well duh, is there ANY Dem out there who DOESNT support Obama at this point?

Ah, so the guy who has no blame whatsoever for the party that controlled the entire government for six years, (during which the country got worse), still has no problem criticizing the party that controlled the government for two years, 15 years ago (during which the country got better).

:)

Ah, so the guy who has no blame whatsoever for the party that controlled the entire government for six years, (during which the country got worse), still has no problem criticizing the party that controlled the government for two years, 15 years ago (during which the country got better).

Try and stay speicific to the one issue Gore claims to care about.

If it meant that much to him, why didn the do something about it?

Bush wasn't sitting on his hands during one of the largest tech explosions of al time, which saved the good ole Clinton machine. Higher taxes when everyone was getting rich! Good job Gore!

If Gore and Clinton were doing such a good job, how on Earth did he lose the election?

From what I understand, Gore has said that he's come to learn and care much more about the environment since he left politics and wanted to work for something else. Of course, that ironically leaves him with little power to enforce change on the issue.

It could be traditional BS from a politician, but I would bet most people have updated their views once or twice since 1994.

Higher taxes when everyone was getting rich! Good job Gore!

I'm not necessarily a fan of the Clinton tax model, but, just out of curiosity, if a particular administration is going to push for higher taxes, wouldn't it be better to do it when everybody's getting rich than when everybody's getting poor?

And the guy who thinks that a thread about Gore endorsing Obama, last night, really needed a post about the Democratic Party being in control of the government 15 years ago, criticizes someone who responded to his post for being off-topic.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the Clinton tax model, but, just out of curiosity, if a particular administration is going to push for higher taxes, wouldn't it be better to do it when everybody's getting rich than when everybody's getting poor?

Does it matter? Economy skyrocketing means more taxes are coming in without the need to raise. :2cents:

Spending is the key.

:secret:Gore and Clinton never lost an election.

So you admit, without Clinton, Gore is :snore:

Archived