Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Owens Misses Drug Test -- Something Stinks

Hooper

Then he is probably one of the minority of NFL players who are not using some kind of artifical stimulant to help with weight gain, muscle growth or improved recovery time after training.

That might be a slight exaggeration but only slight. Steriod and hormone use in the NFL is the elephant in the corner of the room everyone is ignoring and hoping nobody will mention. Heck if baseball players are using steriods you have to think NFL players will be.

There is a high profile soccer player over here in England called Rio Ferdinand. He cost his current club $60M in a transfer fee to sign, has captained Englands national team blah blah blah. Big name is what I'm saying.

He missed a drugs test and was suspended for 12 months as a result. No positive test just missed an appointment. No second chance, no "plausible excuse" - gone.

If the NFL is serious about stopping players using chemicals and hormones etc they have to put in place a credible testing programme with tangible sanctions and have the balls to then enforce these. Just put a call into the World Doping Agency they could probably provide some help.

Again the reality is that the NFL is working on the basis of don't ask and don't tell.

Amen.

The poster said it's nearly impossible to get the definition, he said nothing about age, so I responded by saying somethin I knew would hit home. Using Zoony's logic that "it's nearly impossible to get that kind of definition going all natural" then a lot of players are juicing, including TO and Landry. I have no reason to believe that Landry is juicing but I used him as an example to expose a dumb remark.

If you're gonna quote me, get it right. I'm hoping you're just stupid, and not doing it on purpose. Either way, a retraction is in order.

well then who in the holy hell are you talking to? Who said it was impossible?

My bad, you said

I'm just the oppositte. It is INCREDIBLY difficult to get that kind of definition going all natural.

So if that's the case then almost all of the league isn't all natural. I can think of alot of players that are just as, if not more defined thatn TO.

My bad, you said

So if that's the case then almost all of the league isn't all natural. I can think of alot of players that are just as, if not more defined thatn TO.

It is my personal opinion that a lot of the league is. Someone mentioned it was the elephant in the room, I agree. FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if Landry were too... I just think it was incredibly weak to even bring that up.

Do I have proof? No, of course not. Would I make that allegation anywhere other than in casual conversation or on a message board? probably not, because again, it's just an opinion based on not much at all other than personal experience.

You've got d-lineman... guys who weigh 300 lbs, running sub-5 40s.

The average weight of The Hogs under Joe Bugel was 260 lbs. Dante Culpepper & Jamarcus Russell, both QB's, playing at 265. They're bigger than one of the best Olines in NFL History.

What's wrong with this picture?

I bet most aren't near the same age as TO.

Jason Taylor is pretty ripped,so is Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, Patrick Kerney...all of them over 30 and all of them pretty jacked.

I know this is a different sport, but Randy Couture was pretty jacked for a 40 year old and never tested postivie for anything. Just because you're old and jack doesn't mean you're on roids.

It is my personal opinion that a lot of the league is. Someone mentioned it was the elephant in the room, I agree. FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if Landry were too... I just think it was incredibly weak to even bring that up.

Do I have proof? No, of course not. Would I make that allegation anywhere other than in casual conversation or on a message board? probably not, because again, it's just an opinion based on not much at all other than personal experience.

Well thank goodness we live in a country where we are innocent until proven guilty.

You've got d-lineman... guys who weigh 300 lbs, running sub-5 40s.

The average weight of The Hogs under Joe Bugel was 260 lbs. Dante Culpepper & Jamarcus Russell, both QB's, playing at 265. They're bigger than one of the best Olines in NFL History.

What's wrong with this picture?

Very very true - better diet and more scientific training programes can only account for so much of the significant increase we have seen in player size.

I am very confident that if the Olympic tesing regime and sanctions (one failed test and its a life time ban as I recall) were imposed in the NFL average player weights would drop very quickly :2cents:

My bad, you said

You are arguing with guys that have probably never picked a free weight up in there natural lives! So the idea of hard work in the gym and dedication is something there brainy minds can't comprehend! :lift:

Very very true - better diet and more scientific training programes can only account for so much of the significant increase we have seen in player size.

I am very confident that if the Olympic tesing regime and sanctions (one failed test and its a life time ban as I recall) were imposed in the NFL average player weights would drop very quickly :2cents:

Which one is it? You contradict yourself so the training and diet won't matter if they go through Olympic testing? You can gain weight without taking roids or performance enhancers the question you want to know is can you gain strength and speed all naturally?

Look at the kids now a days they are huge 6'3''-6'6'' in the 10th grade! Are you suggesting that all tall basketball players are on performance enhancers because they are all tall and big. Human genetics have changed over the years girls are maturing at younger ages kids are taller, bigger, faster and when you add a "better diet and more scientific training" behind that you get what we are seeing now!:2cents:

Which one is it? You contradict yourself so the training and diet won't matter if they go through Olympic testing? You can gain weight without taking roids or performance enhancers the question you want to know is can you gain strength and speed all naturally?

Look at the kids now a days they are huge 6'3''-6'6'' in the 10th grade! Are you suggesting that all tall basketball players are on performance enhancers because they are all tall and big. Human genetics have changed over the years girls are maturing at younger ages kids are taller, bigger, faster and when you add a "better diet and more scientific training" behind that you get what we are seeing now!:2cents:

What I'm saying is this -

If you accept that genetics and human evolution have not had time to impact human growth and development in the time frame we are comparing (say 1980 to current day, 30 years in evolutionary terms is a blink of the eye) AND that advances in training techniques and diet can only account for so much of the gain in weight we see across football players something else must be happening.

My conjecture - and thats all this is, I have no proof as such - is that substances both natural and artifical are being used on a widespread basis which promote weight gain, muscle growth and critically improve recovery times so players can train harder and more often than would otherwise be the case.

When I trained I was at a hard core body building gym. A lot of the guys there were not football players, some were just training for health and as a hobby but many were more serious. I saw guys shooting up with steriods and HGH back in the mid to late 80's.

Given the rewards available to players who can put together an NFL career - or extend said career - and the relative laxness of the NFL testing regime and penalties for those who are caught, it would be naive to think that performance enhancing substances are not widely used within the NFL. Proof of this I have none.

The reference to the Olympic testing regime is my opinion that if a similar regime and the threat of an instant life ban for any player caught using banned substances was in place use of these substances would reduce to almost zero which is what has happened in Athletics. The result would be a fall in the average weight/size of players across the NFL and probably in College as well.

Case in point Shawne Merriman was caught using steriods. He played in College at 250 as an outside linebacker. He gets drafted by the Chargers and moves to a 3-4 OLB/DE and adds 30 lbs to get to 280 using steriods (not a thing to do with genetics) and now after being caught he is playing at 270 and may even be lighter.

What I'm saying is this -

If you accept that genetics and human evolution have not had time to impact human growth and development in the time frame we are comparing (say 1980 to current day, 30 years in evolutionary terms is a blink of the eye) AND that advances in training techniques and diet can only account for so much of the gain in weight we see across football players something else must be happening.

My conjecture - and thats all this is, I have no proof as such - is that substances both natural and artifical are being used on a widespread basis which promote weight gain, muscle growth and critically improve recovery times so players can train harder and more often than would otherwise be the case.

When I trained I was at a hard core body building gym. A lot of the guys there were not football players, some were just training for health and as a hobby but many were more serious. I saw guys shooting up with steriods and HGH back in the mid to late 80's.

Given the rewards available to players who can put together an NFL career - or extend said career - and the relative laxness of the NFL testing regime and penalties for those who are caught, it would be naive to think that performance enhancing substances are not widely used within the NFL. Proof of this I have none.

The reference to the Olympic testing regime is my opinion that if a similar regime and the threat of an instant life ban for any player caught using banned substances was in place use of these substances would reduce to almost zero which is what has happened in Athletics. The result would be a fall in the average weight/size of players across the NFL and probably in College as well.

Case in point Shawne Merriman was caught using steriods. He played in College at 250 as an outside linebacker. He gets drafted by the Chargers and moves to a 3-4 OLB/DE and adds 30 lbs to get to 280 using steriods (not a thing to do with genetics) and now after being caught he is playing at 270 and may even be lighter.

And gets knocked on his ass by a 5'7'' 208 RB! :cheers: I see your point!

Anyone care to bet that TO misses some games because of drug testing that takes place during the season?

His age makes him a prime candidate for 'therapies' that cross the line.

Replying again (see page2 for my first reply). I will happily wager that Terrell Owens, WR of the Dallas Cowboys, will not miss any games in the 2008 season due to a failed drug test. What're the stakes?

Hello?

Replying again (see page2 for my first reply). I will happily wager that Terrell Owens, WR of the Dallas Cowboys, will not miss any games in the 2008 season due to a failed drug test. What're the stakes?

Hello?

He won't answer that bet, hes a coward hiding behind a computer talking crap like he does best

He won't answer that bet, hes a coward hiding behind a computer talking crap like he does best

this is no way to make friends. TR1 is a very respected member of ES.....you are not going to get far like this. Its a much better and longer stay here in ES if you have respect and not call names. :2cents:

Hey man,

I'm a diehard Skins fan, and even I don't agree with everything TR1 says, but you need to retract that real quick, or don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Hey man,

I'm a diehard Skins fan, and even I don't agree with everything TR1 says, but you need to retract that real quick, or don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

thats right! Thats my point as well....no one really agrees with TR1 (in full) however, calling names and getting upset will do nothing but fuel tr1, with a ban close to follow.........

Archived