Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Inspired Jones craves workhorse label

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3423800

Click link for entire article

Inspired Jones craves workhorse label

ESPN.com

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Losing a playoff game was bad enough. Standing on the sideline for most of it was more than Julius Jones could stomach after four years with the Dallas Cowboys.

"It was just a feeling of disgust," said the man who had started 39 consecutive regular-season games for the Cowboys.

Jones' once-promising career as the Cowboys' starting halfback died a humiliating death. He was happy to land in Seattle as the Seahawks' likely starter in the post-Shaun Alexander era. But nearly three months into his new life on the West Coast, Jones hasn't yet reconciled the way things went down in Dallas. That much was clear in a talk with Jones after a minicamp practice Monday.

"I definitely have a chip on my shoulder," he said. "I'm going to carry it every single year, every single practice, every single game. It's not going anywhere until I can prove what kind of back that I am and kind of redeem myself from the embarrassment that they have kind of put me through."

Jones carried three times for 8 yards during the Cowboys' 21-17 loss to the New York Giants in their NFC divisional game at Texas Stadium. Despite those 39 consecutive starts, Jones finished the team's most important game in years with the same number of carries as quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee.

Teams routinely make difficult personnel decisions at the expense of players' feelings. Jones acknowledged as much. But to hardly play at all didn't seem right to him.

"I took that hard," Jones said. "I'll never forget that, ever."

Marion Barber made the Cowboys' decision easier by carrying 27 times for 129 yards against the Giants. Barber has rushed for 2,167 yards and 29 touchdowns in three seasons despite starting only three games. Last season, he averaged about three more carries per game than Jones, gaining an additional 1.2 yards per carry (4.8 to 3.6).

Dallas re-signed Barber to a seven-year, $45 million deal with a $12 million signing bonus. Jones settled for a four-year, $11.8 million deal in Seattle, with $3 million to sign.

From the Cowboys' perspective, they didn't give up on Jones as much as they decided to go with a younger, larger and more inspirational alternative. Barber runs with abandon, no question.

And Jones?

"He appears to have good quickness, good hands, bright guy," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said. "I don't see any downside. That will work out fine."

Seeing no downside isn't the same as seeing lots of upside.

The way Jones sees things, not even the Seahawks know what they're getting. They expect Jones to give them a few things Alexander did not, notably the ability to stay on the field across situations. At his best, Alexander was a dynamic runner and red zone threat whose faulty blocking and receiving could limit Holmgren's options as a playcaller. Jones has proved to be a much better blocker and receiver, and he's far more willing than Alexander to take on defenders. But with a 3.9-yard career average and 18 career touchdowns, the numbers don't measure up.

"The way I feel about being a running back is, everybody in the NFL can run the ball," Jones said. "There are a select few that will stick their nose in there and be willing to stand up to a Julian Peterson or a Lofa Tatupu. I think that separates the men from the boys."

Anyone want to bet JJ has more yards than the puke rookie this year?

Oops...I don't bet...but man, this would be easy money.

:laugh: :laugh:

The real bet would be the yardage Julius Jones put up last year vs the yardage felix jones will get this year.

Big prediction there LOL

So a starter who will carry the load will get more yards than a backup playing behind a pro bowler

way to go out on a limb

:laugh:

All of a sudden JJ scares you, eh?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly.

Blame it on EVERYBODY but yourself.

Hey Julius, how about you break a few tackles at the point of attack then lets talk.

I was going to say the same thing. His YAC is close to 0, j/k. But honestly, you can't go around blaming everyone but yourself. He will have an easier time running against the 49ers, Cards and Rams D then any of the NFCE teams. So I'm sure he will have more yards, but when he ****s up again, who is he going to blame?

Big prediction there LOL

So a starter who will carry the load will get more yards than a backup playing behind a pro bowler

way to go out on a limb

the fact that you even consider Marion Barber a true pro-bowler tells me just how low your football accumen really is.

:dallasuck :point2sky

First of all Juluis Jones is not a very good runningback and will prove that he is a backup at best. He has only rushed for over a 1,000 yds twice in college or in the NFL. Once at Notre Dame and once a few years ago with Dallas. So I will be very surprised if he gets a 1,000yds. As for Felix Jones, he has a lot to prove before anyone here can say he will get X amount of yards this year. Just because the Cowboys picked him up doesn't mean he will instantly become a beast of a back. Until he takes over for MBII he is just another rookie with a lot to prove.

Archived