Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parity changes every year...Lets see how it could affect us this season..?

michael_33

I have decided to make a detailed overview of each team and their opponents for this up and coming season...All of which to see how it will affect us(Redskins as a team) and which week to week games that may play HUGE dividends if everything goes right this season!

Obviously,this is VERY early...I understand that!But this will be a very good thing to do,to not only prove the parity in the NFL and how it changes from year-to-year,but how you can never count your team out or finished before the season has even begun!

I realize we have a new Head Coach,but if I look at our opponents schedule with a birds-eye view,maybe we can all find solice in feeling good about season 08'?

TM 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

ARI @SF MIA @WAS @NYJ BUF DAL BYE @CAR @STL SF @SEA NYG @PHI STL MIN @NE SEA If you look at Arizona,They really only have 5 real tough games to be concerned about this year!I see Redskins,Dallas,Seattle,Minnesota and N.Y. as very tough games in our Conference...with only 2 of which,that are on the road(Redskins and @Seattle x2)I see Carolina as being VERY overated...IMO!Of the 4 AFC opponents,really only New England and MAYBE Buffalo as being 2 teams that will be tough to beat!If you count all the teams I mentioned on their schedule as tough losses,they should reach 9-7 fairly easy...I look for them to be fighting for the NFC West Division title with either the Hawks or maybe Rams...They have a great Offense with plenty of weapons,but even better depth with Warner,Arrington and Shipp and Doucett...If their Defense clamps down this season,they could be the surprise team of 08'!But with 1 Championship in 100 years,I wouldn't place any huge bets...Our head-to-head matchup with them could very well be a Playoff Tiebreaker...Prediction:9-7

ATL DET @TB KC @CAR @GB CHI BYE @PHI @OAK NO DEN CAR @SD @NO TB @MIN STL I don't expect them to be very good this year either,but we can hope for maybe a couple of upsets for them to pull off to maybe affect us in some way!They seem to play T.B. real well no matter how bad they suck...they also might steal one from the saints as well...But the key game that might help us out alot to keep an eye on this year(besides the NFC East teams) is that Vikings matchup!Like the Vikings, the Falcons also play on Astro Turf and might present a problem for the up&coming Vikings...Prediction:5-11

BAL CIN @HOU CLE @PIT TEN @IND @MIA OAK @CLE BYE @NYG PHI @CIN WAS PIT @DAL JAC Other than the fact we play them this season,they really don't have much of an affect on us either way!We can just hope we beat them at our house and hope they knock off Dallas,Philly and the Giants...They don't suck IMO,but that AFC North is so Offensive heavy and it really tests that aging defense every season...Sure they drafted Flacko,but when will he play?...And if he does play,what weapons do they have besides their Running game and Todd Heap?None would be the correct answer...I see 5 wins on their schedule right now...And that's assuming the Texans and Raiders will not be much better this season...Prediction:5-11

BUF SEA @JAC OAK @STL @ARI BYE SD @MIA NYJ @NE CLE @KC SF MIA @NYJ @DEN NE Have no affect on us at all...We can hope they beat the 4 NFC teams they play in Seattle,ST Louis,S.F. and Arizona...Some say they will be much better with Stroud and their FA aquisitions...I see them beating the Sucky Niners which won't matter.Seriously...their biggest game for us this year,might actually be their home opener against Seattle!Prediction:8-8

CAR @SD CHI @MIN ATL KC @TB NO ARI BYE @OAK DET @ATL @GB TB DEN @NYG @NO IMO...The most overated team in the NFC...Delhomme is very inconsistent and their defense does not look like it did in their Super Bowl year...Sure they have Musin Muhammad and D.J Hackett as WR's paired with Steve Smith,But Muhammad is aging and slow and Hackett is always getting hurt (all though very talented)Their Running game is strong however and will usually keep games close(very simular to a Gibbs type team)But that schedule looks pretty tough IMO...SD,Min,N.Y, are 3 losses right there...Throw in splits from TB and NO and there is 2 more...Games that won't be easy either are Bears,KC,Ari,Det and GB...Prediction:8-8

CHI @IND @CAR TB PHI @DET @ATL MIN BYE DET TEN @GB @STL @MIN JAC NO GB @HOU The Bears are so hard to figure out sometimes...They have the talent to have a 12-4 season,but also have the Grossman chance of going 4-12...You truly just never know!So what happens when Favre finally leaves the Packers?The Vikings step up and become very tough out of the blue...One thing is for certain..That schedule is Brutal!!Not only do they get the AFC South,but they have 6 road games on Astro Turf...I can't even tell you that their lone win is at Atlanta,which you would think would be a given...Honestly?I think the Bears will be VERY bad this year...Prediction:5-11

CIN @BAL TEN @NYG CLE @DAL @NYJ PIT BYE JAC @HOU PHI @PIT BAL @IND WAS @CLE KC They may have their distractions,but this team is too good offensively to be real bad IMO...Course their schedule isn't as easy as I have seen in the past as well...Their 2 easiest games are both on the road in Jets and Houston...I hope there is not a 3rd team to add in the Redskins as we travel to them.However...there are 2 things to ask yourself that decide the Bengals fate...1)Are the Browns an anomaly and 2)how will they fair against the NFC East?Prediction:9-7

CLE DAL PIT @BAL @CIN BYE NYG @WAS @JAC BAL DEN @BUF HOU IND @TEN @PHI CIN @PIT Many people will disagree with me here,but I'm predicting a rough year for the Browns this season...(don't get me wrong,I actually like the browns)I'll give you 3 reasons why I believe this to be true!#1)If Anderson struggles even a little,they will be screamin' for Brady Quinn all damn year and this will present a problem...#2)Their schedule is very tough as they get the NFC BEAST and their 2 conference foes in Den and Buf both could be very tough including the AFC South...We should feel good about having them on our schedule for at least this season and at home!#3)Besides Jamal Lewis,they really lack a good backup...If he gets hurt...they're screwed!Prediction:6-10

DAL @CLE PHI @GB WAS CIN @ARI @STL TB @NYG BYE @WAS SF SEA @PIT NYG BAL @PHI There is a stretch in the Cowboys schedule that will probably determine their fate for the season imo...If you notice, they have a 5 game stretch in a row with a BYE week and the Bucs in between(@ARI,@STL,TB,@NYG,BYE,@WASH).If they don't win at least 3 of those games they are in trouble IMO...Specially considering they are all Conference games!Obviously they are very talented and they are more than capable of succeeding this feat...But an injury here and there may be more than than can handle with those stretch of games...The Cowboys will do well,but NOT like last season!Prediction:10-6

DEN @OAK SD NO @KC TB JAC @NE BYE MIA @CLE @ATL OAK @NYJ KC @CAR BUF @SD The Broncos is a team I like about as much as the Patriots...They also cheat,but usually in game violations(holding)and munipulating the Salary Cap as they have been punished before...And in any normal season I would agree with my brother as they are the most overated team in the AFC and I would agree any and every year without John Elway...Except this season...! :mad: Their schedule is a JOKE!Just look at it...OK..They do have the Patriots on the road and JAX at home...The Cleveland and Buffalo game should also be interesting...But they get the Raiders and Chiefs twice each again(who are NOT very good),they get a crappy Jets team and lets throw in ATL,MIA for good measure?As much as I can't stand the Broncos,there's no reason they don't make the playoffs this year...Prediction:11-5(it hurt,but I had too)

DET @ATL GB @SF BYE CHI @MIN @HOU WAS @CHI JAC @CAR TB TEN MIN @IND NO @GB I hope Kitna didn't promise 10 wins this season cause it isn't happening this year neither...Their 2 easiest games of the year are the Falcons and Niners which are both on the road..They get to play the AFC South and have no defense to stop any of them including probably the Texans...Oh...And they have the honor of playing our Redskins on the road and we all know they don't do very well against us...They made our Offense last year look like a Juggernaut!Prediction:4-12

GB MIN @DET DAL @TB ATL @SEA IND BYE @TEN @MIN CHI @NO CAR HOU @JAC @CHI DET Greenbay will be a little tougher than normal to predict cause they haven't been without Brett for like a 100 years...Some people really like Aaron Rodgers and I know he played real well against the Cowboys last season...But he also didn't have people in his earhole expecting him to perform like Brett like he will this season...I'm actually expecting him to struggle a bit and we may hear some Brian Brohm chants before the season is over!They are talented and have some good players in Jennings,Driver and Grant,but I see that Defense getting tired and exposed with all the 3 and outs they will endure over the course of the season...Prediction:6-10

HOU @PIT BAL @TEN @JAC IND MIA DET BYE @MIN CIN @IND @CLE JAC @GB TEN @OAK CHI Houston gets a little bit better every year...(very little)But it doesn't help your cause when you get the Colts and Jacksonville twice each, every year either...They also get to play the AFC North as well this season,which will be very difficult!They do have Oakland and Miami on their schedule,but they are not good enough yet to say those are gimmes in the football world...(no such thing in the NFL baby... ;) )Prediction:6-10

IND CHI @MIN JAC BYE @HOU BAL @GB @TEN NE @PIT HOU @SD @CLE CIN DET @JAC TEN Well...Lets see...they are the Colts and they have the best QB in the league!I see 5 games they MIGHT lose this season....(@Vikings,@JAX,@SD,NE and @PITT)I think they are starting to slip a little as far as elite status,but with Manning at the helm,I just don't see him allowing them to tank a season and he understands how difficult his division and Conference is...He knows there are no bye weeks beside the BYE week!Prediction:12-4

JAC @TEN BUF @IND HOU PIT @DEN BYE CLE @CIN @DET TEN MIN @HOU @CHI GB IND @BAL

KC @NE OAK @ATL DEN @CAR BYE TEN @NYJ TB @SD NO BUF @OAK @DEN SD MIA @CIN

MIA NYJ @ARI @NE BYE SD @HOU BAL BUF @DEN SEA OAK NE @STL @BUF SF @KC @NYJ

MIN @GB IND CAR @TEN @NO DET @CHI BYE HOU GB @TB @JAC CHI @DET @ARI ATL NYG

NE KC @NYJ MIA BYE @SF @SD DEN STL @IND BUF NYJ @MIA PIT @SEA @OAK ARI @BUF

NO TB @WAS @DEN SF MIN OAK @CAR SD BYE @ATL @KC GB @TB ATL @CHI @DET CAR

NYG WAS @STL CIN BYE SEA @CLE SF @PIT DAL @PHI BAL @ARI @WAS PHI @DAL CAR @MIN

NYJ @MIA NE @SD ARI BYE CIN @OAK KC @BUF STL @NE @TEN DEN @SF BUF @SEA MIA

OAK DEN @KC @BUF SD BYE @NO NYJ @BAL ATL CAR @MIA @DEN KC @SD NE HOU @TB

PHI STL @DAL PIT @CHI WAS @SF BYE ATL @SEA NYG @CIN @BAL ARI @NYG CLE @WAS DAL

PIT HOU @CLE @PHI BAL @JAC BYE @CIN NYG @WAS IND SD CIN @NE DAL @BAL @TEN CLE

SD CAR @DEN NYJ @OAK @MIA NE @BUF @NO BYE KC @PIT IND ATL OAK @KC @TB DEN

SEA @BUF SF STL BYE @NYG GB @TB @SF PHI @MIA ARI WAS @DAL NE @STL NYJ @ARI

SF ARI @SEA DET @NO NE PHI @NYG SEA BYE @ARI STL @DAL @BUF NYJ @MIA @STL WAS

STL @PHI NYG @SEA BUF BYE @WAS DAL @NE ARI @NYJ @SF CHI MIA @ARI SEA SF @ATL

TB @NO ATL @CHI GB @DEN CAR SEA @DAL @KC BYE MIN @DET NO @CAR @ATL SD OAK

TEN JAC @CIN HOU MIN @BAL BYE @KC IND GB @CHI @JAC NYJ @DET CLE @HOU PIT @IND

WAS @NYG NO ARI @DAL @PHI STL CLE @DET PIT BYE DAL @SEA NYG @BAL @CIN PHI @SF

(I will be editing this often,so keep checking back for interesting details)

Oh...New England is not an accident!(Black)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I got this depth chart from Thehuddle.com as of MAY 30th)http://www.thehuddle.com/nfl/NFL_depth_charts.php

QB1 QB2 QB3 TE1 TE2

ARZ Matt Leinart Kurt Warner Brian St. Pierre ARZ Leonard Pope Ben Patrick

ATL Chris Redman Joey Harrington Matt Ryan ATL Martrez Milner Ben Hartsock

BAL Kyle Boller Joe Flacco Troy Smith BAL Todd Heap Daniel Wilcox

BUF Trent Edwards J.P. Losman Gibran Hamdan BUF Robert Royal Courtney Anderson

CAR Jake Delhomme Matt Moore Brett Basanez CAR Jeff King Dante Rosario

CHI Rex Grossman Kyle Orton CHI Greg Olsen Desmond Clark

CIN Carson Palmer Ryan Fitzpatrick Jeff Rowe CIN Ben Utecht Reggie Kelly

CLE Derek Anderson Brady Quinn Ken Dorsey CLE Kellen Winslow Jr. Steve Heiden

DAL Tony Romo sits to pee Brad Johnson Richard Bartel DAL Jason Witten Martellus Bennett

DEN Jay Cutler Patrick Ramsey Cullen Finnerty DEN Daniel Graham Tony Scheffler

DET Jon Kitna Dan Orlovsky Drew Stanton DET Michael Gaines Dan Campbell

GB Aaron Rodgers Brian Brohm Matt Flynn GB Donald Lee Jermichael Finley

HOU Matt Schaub Sage Rosenfels Quinn Gray HOU Owen Daniels Mark Bruener

IND Peyton Manning Jim Sorgi Josh Betts IND Dallas Clark

JAX David Garrard Cleo Lemon Todd Bouman JAX Marcedes Lewis George Wrighster

KC Brodie Croyle Damon Huard Tyler Thigpen KC Tony Gonzalez Brad Cottam

MIA John Beck Josh McCown Chad Henne MIA Anthony Fasano David Martin

MIN Tarvaris Jackson Gus Frerotte John David Booty MIN Vishante Shiancoe Jim Kleinsasser

NE Tom Brady Matt Cassel Kevin O'Connell NE Ben Watson Marcus Pollard

NO Drew Brees Mark Brunell Tyler Palko NO Eric Johnson Billy Miller

NYG Eli Manning David Carr Anthony Wright NYG Jeremy Shockey Kevin Boss

NYJ Kellen Clemens Chad Pennington Erik Ainge NYJ Chris Baker Dustin Keller

OAK JaMarcus Russell Andrew Walter M. Tuiasasopo OAK Zach Miller John Madsen

PHI Donovan McNabb Kevin Kolb A.J. Feeley PHI L.J. Smith Matt Schobel

PIT Ben Roethlisberger Charlie Batch Dennis Dixon PIT Heath Miller Matt Spaeth

SD Philip Rivers Billy Volek Charlie Whitehurst SD Antonio Gates B Manumaleuna

SEA Matt Hasselbeck Seneca Wallace Charlie Frye SEA Will Heller John Carlson

SF Alex Smith Shaun Hill J.T. O'Sullivan SF Vernon Davis Billy Bajema

STL Marc Bulger Trent Green Brock Berlin STL Randy McMichael Joe Klopfenstein

TB Jeff Garcia Luke McCown Brian Griese TB Alex Smith Ben Troupe

TEN Vince Young Kerry Collins Ingle Martin TEN Alge Crumpler Bo Scaife

WAS Jason Campbell Todd Collins Colt Brennan WAS Chris Cooley Fred Davis

RB1 RB2 RB3 RB4 PK

ARZ Edgerrin James Tim Hightower J.J. Arrington Marcell Shipp ARZ Neil Rackers

ATL Michael Turner Jerious Norwood Thomas Brown Ovie Mughelli ATL Jason Elam

BAL Willis McGahee P.J. Daniels Ray Rice Justin Green BAL Matt Stover

BUF Marshawn Lynch Fred Jackson Dwayne Wright Xavier Omon BUF Rian Lindell

CAR DeAngelo Williams Jonathan Stewart LaBrandon Toefield Alex Haynes CAR John Kasay

CHI Cedric Benson Adrian Peterson Matt Forte Garrett Wolfe CHI Robbie Gould

CIN Rudi Johnson Kenny Watson DeDe Dorsey Kenny Irons CIN Shayne Graham

CLE Jamal Lewis Jason Wright Jerome Harrison Lawrence Vickers CLE Phil Dawson

DAL Marion Barber III Felix Jones Tashard Choice Alonzo Coleman DAL Nick Folk

DEN Travis Henry Selvin Young Michael Pittman Ryan Torrain DEN Matt Prater

DET Tatum Bell Kevin Smith Brian Calhoun Artoser Pinner DET Jason Hanson

GB Ryan Grant Vernand Morency Brandon Jackson DeShawn Wynn GB Mason Crosby

HOU Ahman Green Chris Brown C Taylor/R Dayne

Steve Slanton HOU Kris Brown

IND Joseph Addai Mike Hart Dominic Rhodes Kenton Keith IND Adam Vinatieri

JAX Fred Taylor Maurice Jones-Drew Greg Jones C. Washington JAX Josh Scobee

KC Larry Johnson Kolby Smith Jamaal Charles Jackie Battle KC Billy Cundiff

MIA Ronnie Brown Patrick Cobbs Ricky Williams Jalen Parmele MIA Jay Feely/D. Rayner

MIN Adrian Peterson Chester Taylor Thomas Tapeh Maurice Hicks MIN Ryan Longwell

NE Laurence Maroney Kevin Faulk Sammy Morris Heath Evans NE Stephen Gostkowski

NO Reggie Bush Deuce McAllister Aaron Stecker Pierre Thomas NO M Gramatica/T Mehlhaff

NYG Brandon Jacobs Ahmad Bradshaw Derrick Ward Reuben Droughns NYG Lawrence Tynes

NYJ Thomas Jones Leon Washington Jesse Chatman Tony Richardson NYJ Mike Nugent

OAK Justin Fargas Darren McFadden Michael Bush LaMont Jordan OAK S. Janikowski

PHI Brian Westbrook Correll Buckhalter Tony Hunt Lorenzo Booker PHI David Akers

PIT Willie Parker Rashard Mendenhall Najeh Davenport Mewelde Moore PIT Jeff Reed

SD L. Tomlinson Darren Sproles Andrew Pinnock Marcus Thomas SD Nate Kaeding

SEA Julius Jones T.J. Duckett Maurice Morris Justin Forsett SEA Olindo Mare

SF Frank Gore DeShaun Foster Michael Robinson SF Joe Nedney

STL Steven Jackson Brian Leonard Antonio Pittman Travis Minor STL Josh Brown

TB Earnest Graham Carnell Williams Warrick Dunn Michael Bennett TB Matt Bryant

TEN LenDale White Chris Henry Chris Johnson Ahmard Hall TEN Rob Bironas

WAS Clinton Portis Ladell Betts Mike Sellers Rock Cartwright WAS Shaun Suisham

WR1 WR2 WR3 WR4 WR5

ARZ Larry Fitzgerald Anquan Boldin Early Doucet Ahmad Merritt Jerheme Urban

ATL Roddy White Laurent Robinson Michael Jenkins Joe Horn Adam Jennings

BAL Derrick Mason Mark Clayton Demetrius Williams Yamon Figurs Marcus Smith

BUF Lee Evans Roscoe Parrish Josh Reed Hardy James

CAR Steve Smith Muhsin Muhammad D.J. Hackett Dwayne Jarrett Chris Horn

CHI Marty Booker Devin Hester Mark Bradley Brandon Lloyd Rashied Davis

CIN Chad Johnson T.J. Houshmandzadeh Jerome Simpson Andre Caldwell

CLE Braylon Edwards Joe Jurevicius Donte' Stallworth Joshua Cribbs Travis Wilson

DAL Terrell Owens Patrick Crayton Sam Hurd Isaiah Stanback Terry Glenn

DEN Brandon Marshall Brandon Stokley Darrell Jackson Keary Colbert Eddie Royal

DET Roy Williams Calvin Johnson Shaun McDonald Mike Furrey Kenny Moore

GB Donald Driver Greg Jennings James Jones Jordy Nelson Ruvell Martin

HOU Andre' Johnson Kevin Walter Andre Davis Jacoby Jones David Anderson

IND Reggie Wayne Marvin Harrison Anthony Gonzalez Devin Aromashodu Roy Hall

JAX Jerry Porter Reggie Williams Dennis Northcutt Troy Williamson Matt Jones

KC Dwayne Bowe Jeff Webb Devard Darling Will Franklin Eddie Drummond

MIA Ted Ginn Jr. Ernest Wilford Derek Hagan

Greg Camarillo David Kircus

MIN Bernard Berrian Sidney Rice Bobby Wade Robert Ferguson Aundrae Allison

NE Randy Moss Wes Welker Jabar Gaffney Kelley Washington Chad Jackson

NO Marques Colston David Patten Robert Meacham Devery Henderson Lance Moore

NYG Plaxico Burress Amani Toomer Steve Smith Sinorice Moss Mario Manningham

NYJ Laveranues Coles Jerricho Cotchery Brad Smith Wallace Wright Marcus Henry

OAK Javon Walker Ronald Curry Drew Carter Johnnie Lee Higgins Arman Shields

PHI Kevin Curtis Reggie Brown Jason Avant Hank Baskett DeShaun Jackson

PIT Santonio Holmes Hines Ward Nate Washington Limas Sweed Willie Reid

SD Chris Chambers Vincent Jackson Craig "Buster" Davis Eric Parker Malcom Floyd

SEA Bobby Engram Nate Burleson Ben Obomanu Dieon Branch (inj) Courtney Taylor

SF Isaac Bruce Bryant Johnson Ashley Lelie Arnaz Battle Jason Hill

STL Torry Holt Drew Bennett Donnie Avery Reche Caldwell Keenan Burton

TB Joey Galloway Michael Clayton Ike Hilliard Dexter Jackson Antonio Bryant

TEN Justin Gage Justin McCareins Brandon Jones Roydell Williams Lavelle Hawkins

WAS Santana Moss Antwaan Randle El Devin Thomas Malcolm Kelly James Thrash

Can someone explain what parity is?

Parity is how even the teams are in terms of talent. It's what makes the NFL exciting. In baseball, there's all but no chance that a team like the Orioles will do well this year or any time in the forseeable future. On the other hand, there's no chance that the Yankees or Red Sox will fail miserably. Why? Because baseball has no parity. It's the same thing in the NCAA. I know, I know, Michigan got upset, but nine times out of eight, that wouldn't happen. In the NFL, no team is really THAT much better than any other that there is no chance that the underdog can't win.

This parity is mostly caused by the salary cap. No NFL game is boring because anything really could happen. Name a team in the NFL who doesn't have at least a couple of players who you wouldn't mind being on the Redskins. Parity makes that impossible.

Parity is how even the teams are in terms of talent.
It's actually how even teams are in the resources allowed to gather that talent. Under the cap, every team has a salary budget window they must fit in. A good FO can still accumulate mo betta talent for the same dollar, i.e. NE. Since the cap has a floor too, all teams are roughly equal in their ability to draw and keep the talent of their choice. The only concession given to losing teams is a higher placement in the draft, which is an attempt to even the actual talent.

Can someone explain what parity is?

The Oxford English Dictionary, Parity:

The state or condition of being equal, or on a level; equality.

Allowing each team to spend the same amount on players, and giving higher draft picks to the worst teams, is supposed to limit a few teams from being perennial dynasties, and allow bad teams to improve rapidly, thus creating a system where no team can be really bad for long, or really good for long. In other words, all teams are close to each other in terms of talent, income, etc., so that on "Any Given Sunday" most games are truly competitive.

This "theory" as implemented in the NFL, may have failed to account for the greed of agents (rookie salaries), and cheating (Patriots, the only salary cap dynasty, we now know how). Ultimately, as with any Utopian socialization scheme, you can only equalize opportunity, not outcome. NFL teams, like people, can make dumb decisions that nullify every opportunity.

NBA has a salary cap and certain teams seem to always win and certain teams seem to always lose. Cap has some to do with it, but not all.
That's why I pointed out the cap provides a level potential, it doesn't guarantee anything. You still need a competent FO and coaching to build a winner. But doesn't the NBA have a workaround like MLB with a luxury tax?

That's why I pointed out the cap provides a level potential, it doesn't guarantee anything. You still need a competent FO and coaching to build a winner. But doesn't the NBA have a workaround like MLB with a luxury tax?

Yes. They have a luxury tax, the mid-level exception and the Larry Bird rule to get around the cap.

It seems you are interested in prognosticating how the teams will play and that is a hard proposition. Every season there are crazy surprise teams and even divisions that fluctuate up and down, which is why we love watching the NFL. New Orleans in 2006, and maybe even Washington/Cleveland in 2007 (heck throw in the Giants too).

Anyway, I think you can generalize observations... such as the NFC West is playing the AFC East and NFC East. Then for each team there are 2 games based on strength of schedule last year. So for Arizona you could say:

2008 Opponents: 6 division games (so obvious might not even include it), NFC East, AFC East, plus CAR/MIN. To be honest I always think trying to figure out which teams are good/bad from season to season is a futile exercise, but after a few weeks in (week 6) you can generally pick out which divisions/teams are over-rated or under-rated. Anyway, this is an interesting topic but we won't know until Week 5 or 6 how good teams really are. Especially which teams get the crazy good rookie draft class or which teams suffer the injury bug.

For one thing I disagree with Minnesota conclusion... although all they need to do is pull T-Jax after 4 games and replace him with someone a little better and they are contenders. Their back 7 also looks a bit sketchy... but most likely they will be able to stop the run again.

I also disagree with your conclusion regarding CLE... its Andersen btw. Even assuming Andersen gets pulled, I thikn Quinn is good...and they are a candidate for UDFA or unknown RB to step in for Jamal Lewis and perform just as well behind a strong OL... (see Ryan Grant, 2007).

Either way... we could make a whole thread of NFL predictions, but it don't matter 'till September... but if you want to keep going don't forget to bump this thread in October!

IMO the days of parity are about over.....

Realistically, there are only 7-8 teams who are capable of winning the SuperBowl, we already know who those teams are.... Injuries and other things will eliminate a few of those teams from their elite status and possibly from playoff contention....

Therefore, there is parity in the sense that any team can jump up and make the playoffs, but only a small fraction of teams actually have a legit shot at winning it all........

What will it take to win a championship in todays in NFL? Elite QB and WR play.... On defense, a good secondary and a top tier pass-rush... If you dont have all these elements, you dont have a chance at going all the way...

What will it take to win a championship in todays in NFL? Elite QB and WR play...

I don't consider Eli an elite QB. Not by a long shot. And catching that pass on top of your helmet? That was luck, couldn't be repeated in 100 tries. You can win with a well balanced team if they are talented, or you can win if one aspect of your team is totally dominating and the rest is average.

NBA has a salary cap and certain teams seem to always win and certain teams seem to always lose. Cap has some to do with it, but not all.

I totally agree. It's interesting how great coaches have an ability to turn bad players into great players. I.E., Joe Gibbs.

IMO the days of parity are about over.....

Realistically, there are only 7-8 teams who are capable of winning the SuperBowl, we already know who those teams are.... Injuries and other things will eliminate a few of those teams from their elite status and possibly from playoff contention......

Let's see--Pats, Colts, Chargers, Seahawks, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Saints, Browns, Bucs, Jaguars are a few teams I could see POSSIBLY winning the Super Bowl. Any team can win that gets to the playoffs, and 12 teams make it every year. This argument is false. Football has a ton of parity, but having a GREAT QB overcomes that and gives your team a chance regardless of other factors. Granted, you can win a Super Bowl without one, you just have a less likely chance of making the playoffs in the first place. I personally think the Redskins can win the Super Bowl if everything goes right, and a few miracles happen a long the way as they did for the Giants.

Let's see--Pats, Colts, Chargers, Seahawks, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Saints, Browns, Bucs, Jaguars are a few teams I could see POSSIBLY winning the Super Bowl. Any team can win that gets to the playoffs, and 12 teams make it every year. This argument is false. Football has a ton of parity, but having a GREAT QB overcomes that and gives your team a chance regardless of other factors. Granted, you can win a Super Bowl without one, you just have a less likely chance of making the playoffs in the first place. I personally think the Redskins can win the Super Bowl if everything goes right, and a few miracles happen a long the way as they did for the Giants.

Take off the Bucs, they dont have what it takes... The Browns are playoff contenders, but there's no way they'll make it through the post-season in the AFC... Seattle does have some of the ingredients, but who really believes in the Seahawks as legit title contenders, if they're in our division, they're fighting to stay out of last... I like the Saints as a dark-horse, but they've gotta play a lot better on defense....

I don't consider Eli an elite QB. Not by a long shot. And catching that pass on top of your helmet? That was luck, couldn't be repeated in 100 tries. You can win with a well balanced team if they are talented, or you can win if one aspect of your team is totally dominating and the rest is average.

I didn't say that you had to have an elite QB, but they have to be able to reach that level when the time comes.... Eli may not be among the best of the best, but he's definitely in the top-tier... After all, he had to best the likes of Romo sits to pee, Favre, and Brady in route to a Champioship... Fact is, Eli has the ability to make ALL the throws.... David Tyree is also not an elite WR, but he made one helluva catch.... Furthermore, the Giants do have an elite WR in Plaxico, and a pretty good WR unit overall.... New York was also first in the NFL in Sacks....

Archived