Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glacier "wake" Surfing - Crazy Stuff

GoSkins561

I wonder if Eskimo Cavemen surfed like that after the Ice Age??

When it comes to Glacier Melting which should be considered a natural thing, I keep getting this junior high school project from the 70's in my head.

You have a glass of water with ice. The ice melts in the glass yet the water did not spill over the top. (cough displacement cough)

I just can't help but see the same thing with the indestructible Earth.

I didn't watch the linked vids cause i am a lazy mofo. :laugh:

But i have seen the glacier surfing video on Surfline. Pretty cool stuff. The guys were freaked out by the falling ice, kinda scary.

They were testing the new heated wetsuits also. They should be making them available soon, i would think. They have been testing the heated wetsuits for a while now.

I didn't watch the linked vids cause i am a lazy mofo. :laugh:

But i have seen the glacier surfing video on Surfline. Pretty cool stuff. The guys were freaked out by the falling ice, kinda scary.

They were testing the new heated wetsuits also. They should be making them available soon, i would think. They have been testing the heated wetsuits for a while now.

I saw this on TV last night also and were saying they would never do it again. Of the guys described some of the shards of ice as " school bus size shotgun pellets". :doh:

Of the guys described some of the shards of ice as " school bus size shotgun pellets". :doh:

Small price to pay for some epic surf bro. :cool: LOL

Next time they should paddle out when there are some killer man eating orcas swimming around, just to push the envelope. :laugh:

I saw this on TV last night also and were saying they would never do it again. Of the guys described some of the shards of ice as " school bus size shotgun pellets". :doh:

Uhh.....DUH !!

It doesn't take a Geologist to to predict ahead of time that that would be a likely scenario :rolleyes:

Not bashin you, GoSkins, but the "surfers"

I was actually disappointed by the mis-leading title.

To me, Glacier Surfing is when you slide down the actual glacier itself - a lot more dangerous.

They're not Glacier Surfing - they're Glacier Wake Surfing

Good point Ill change it.

To me, Glacier Surfing is when you slide down the actual glacier itself - a lot more dangerous.

True dat. I don't think surfing an actual glacier is possible though. :D That would be snowboarding, or glacial boarding.

Remember though, waves and the ocean should be respected. I have been surfing for many many years. One thing i learned very early on, "Do not get comfortable". The ocean is a powerful thing, and as soon as you think you are "The man" and "The master" the ocean will @*$#! slap you. Or even bring you seconds from death. These guys are balls to the wall.

To add on to what D-rock had to say.

I am not sure I agree with you here Mic. I have been snowboarding for close to 20 years now. Even though it is a big chunk of ice, as long as my edges were finely tuned I don't think I would be scared of riding a glacier, hell I might even jump a couple of crevases (sp).

To me messing around with these waves is playng with your life. If you notice the jet ski is trying very hard to stay with in feet of the guy riding the wave. This isn't because he can't swim.

To add on to what D-rock had to say.

I am not sure I agree with you here Mic. I have been snowboarding for close to 20 years now. Even though it is a big chunk of ice, as long as my edges were finely tuned I don't think I would be scared of riding a glacier, hell I might even jump a couple of crevases (sp).

To me messing around with these waves is playng with your life. If you notice the jet ski is trying very hard to stay with in feet of the guy riding the wave. This isn't because he can't swim.

It is a big chunk of ice with boulders in it :doh:

I highly doubt no one boards on glaciers. Mick nows he was just walking by one and had a not so great experience.

It is a big chunk of ice with boulders in it :doh:

I highly doubt no one boards on glaciers. Mick nows he was just walking by one and had a not so great experience.

Actually it is more common and straight forward than you might think. Some places actually offer summer camps on the glaciers themselves. I would imagine the texture of the snow isn't much different than Ski Liberty or White Tail - aka - Pennsylvania Hard Pack - AKA - ICE

Archived