Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Kornheiser accepts buyout

DCchillin89

]'] Whether it was his fault or not' date=' he essentially took Theissman's spot on MNF from him. He has done a piss poor job of taking his place.[/quote']

Huh? They co-occupied the booth in Kornheiser's first season of '06. Theismann had the color roll of former player while Tony provided the entertainment. Theismann was replaced by Jaworski, another former jock. Kornheiser may not have liked Joe, but he didn't take JT's place, nor was he supposed to, that was Jaw's roll.

In the later '80s and very early 90s, the DC area was blessed with two of the more brilliant minds in sports journalism - TK and Glenn Brenner. These guys mixed wit with astute sports observation in a way most of us had not seen, or read, before.

TK has obviously become a multimedia personality and will still be around. Still, I will always remember him for his Tuesday Sports (including the Bandwagon) columns and his Sunday Style columns - columns that I would immediately turn to when I opened the paper. I will also remember one line from him in a year-end column he used to write - "things I'd like to see in the coming year - Fred Couples overswing." I just thought it to be a cool observation about something that had crossed my mind at a time when Couples (and golf) wasn't nearly as famous as he is now. It stuck with me for some reason.

Anyway, TK has been non-existent in the paper, as far as I'm concerned, for what seems at least 10 years. His leaving is a mere formality. Still, it just feels like another little piece of my youth being stripped away.

At least Madden makes you laugh, or is everyone wound so tight they cant. AT least he was in the league and HALL if not mistaken. Hes forgotten more football then TK knows period. Obviously the people has spoken, you dont get "bought out" cause you have GREAT ratings. Tony Kornwholeyio SUCKED.

You've got to be kidding -

"That was a dumb play. Dumb play. You know that was a dumb play. I mean that was a dumb play. I've seen dumb plays, but that was a dumb play."

"You can only make one play at a time."

"Anytime you have a game, you have to be ready to play."

"When you lose your best cornerback and your punt returner, I'd say that's a double loss."

"First down is a good down."

"You never want to go backwards in the endzone."

"Here's a guy, that when he runs, he goes faster."

"He was standing in the whole waiting for something to develop...and WHAP!, he got developed"

"You see the running back hit the hole, then he goes outside the hole, then there's no hole when he tries to go in the hole."

"If, uh, if, uh, the referee throws a flag, and uh, and uh,he doesn't make a mistake, then, uh, then, uh, that, that, that's gonna be, that's gonna be, that there, that's gonna be a penalty."

"Now that is a sandwich. You take all that and put it between two pieces of bread."

"when you talk about a mike shanahan offense, your usually talking about an offense"

"The team that scores more points than the other team usually wins. "

"If, uh, if uh, the quaterback throws the ball, and uh, and uh, the reciever catches it in the, in the, in the endzone, then that's gonna be, that, that, that's gonna be, that right there, that's gonna be, that, that, that right there, that, that's gonna be a touchdown."

1. You're an English major, right? I'm going to assume that a small group of comments was cut and pasted from somewhere? You can do that with most anyone and misrepresent them.

2. Madden played, coached, helps create a ridiculously accurate video game, is widely recognized as one of the best announcers. When he gives comments about effectiveness of players, choices by coaches, etc., you are receiving the opinion of an insider who knows the game, and has a long history of being fairly accurate in his analysis in this regard. He is the gold standard of NFL color men.

3. Project for you, that you probably can't cut and paste: find 15 insightful things Kornheiser said on MNF that weren't spewed out as conventionial wisdom the week before the game. Or just 15 insightful things he said--that were actually nuts and bolts football analysis.

1. You're an English major, right? I'm going to assume that a small group of comments was cut and pasted from somewhere? You can do that with most anyone and misrepresent them.

2. Madden played, coached, helps create a ridiculously accurate video game, is widely recognized as one of the best announcers. When he gives comments about effectiveness of players, choices by coaches, etc., you are receiving the opinion of an insider who knows the game, and has a long history of being fairly accurate in his analysis in this regard. He is the gold standard of NFL color men.

3. Project for you, that you probably can't cut and paste: find 15 insightful things Kornheiser said on MNF that weren't spewed out as conventionial wisdom the week before the game. Or just 15 insightful things he said--that were actually nuts and bolts football analysis.

Who said I was an english major? Who said I was defending TK? I was merely pointing out how useless Madden commentary is. I cut and pasted Madden quotes from various websites. I actually enjoy Madden for the comedic value. But he adds nothing to the game. I already knew QB's with bad eyesight see better with their contacts in. And the faster guy will beat the slower guy in a footrace. Sorry if I insulted your favorite video game.

I haven't read enough of his writing to know, and you hope he's happy and healthy, but I hated him as MNF announcer - talking about everything but the game and what was happening in it, trying to substitute flair for a meticulous knowledge of the sport itself. To me, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong with current announcing, style over substance. I can't count the number of times he was making comments which I understood were supposed to be clever, but really just seemed contrived, while the game went on in the background, undocumented. I never once heard him offer useful football analysis, and when he did say something at least related to the game rather than the hype surrounding the game, it seemed like something he had been told by others and was regurgitating (the Peter King school of announcing), rather than something he had discerned or truly understood. Gimmie Madden, Aikman, Jaws, Collinsworth, etc. anytime. Tell me who's on the field, what the coaches are trying to accomplish scheme wise, who caught the pass, what the down is, etc. Have people who know and have played the game, bring me insight into the game through their eyes, tell me things about what's happening on the field that I wouldn't otherwise know, rather than some stooge trying to turn the thing into a circus. Save the hoopla for pre-game, and halftime shows.

I agree 110%! I think he's a bit overrated....

Dude. Relax and take a deep breath. Madden hasn't done anything for that football video game for years. And he didn't create it. He just gave them some ideas. And to tell you the truth. The game has become an arcade game that doesn't depict the NFL as well as it should.

Madden is a joke. He doesn't get under my skin or anything. He just gives me a laugh or two.

Boom, Whap, Bam!

You've got to be kidding -

"That was a dumb play. Dumb play. You know that was a dumb play. I mean that was a dumb play. I've seen dumb plays, but that was a dumb play."

"You can only make one play at a time."

"Anytime you have a game, you have to be ready to play."

"When you lose your best cornerback and your punt returner, I'd say that's a double loss."

"First down is a good down."

"You never want to go backwards in the endzone."

"Here's a guy, that when he runs, he goes faster."

"He was standing in the whole waiting for something to develop...and WHAP!, he got developed"

"You see the running back hit the hole, then he goes outside the hole, then there's no hole when he tries to go in the hole."

"If, uh, if, uh, the referee throws a flag, and uh, and uh,he doesn't make a mistake, then, uh, then, uh, that, that, that's gonna be, that's gonna be, that there, that's gonna be a penalty."

"Now that is a sandwich. You take all that and put it between two pieces of bread."

"when you talk about a mike shanahan offense, your usually talking about an offense"

"The team that scores more points than the other team usually wins. "

"If, uh, if uh, the quaterback throws the ball, and uh, and uh, the reciever catches it in the, in the, in the endzone, then that's gonna be, that, that, that's gonna be, that right there, that's gonna be, that, that, that right there, that, that's gonna be a touchdown."

ok, Madden may be a bit quirky, and his game may have single handedly made an entire generation of football fans retarded.. but, the guy is a great commentator.. in my mind, watching a game with Madden as the announcer is like watching a game with your hilarious grandfather who knows everything about football.. The guy is knowledgeable, does tons of research, and he is very likable.. he appeals to the blue collar type football fan which is the essence of the sport in the first place.. KISS..

also, that running back getting developed line was genius!!

Who said I was an english major? Who said I was defending TK? I was merely pointing out how useless Madden commentary is. I cut and pasted Madden quotes from various websites. I actually enjoy Madden for the comedic value. But he adds nothing to the game. I already knew QB's with bad eyesight see better with their contacts in. And the faster guy will beat the slower guy in a footrace. Sorry if I insulted your favorite video game.

Madden is a coach- first and foremost. Coaches are meant to teach. Each week millions of viewers tune in to watch NFL games on Sundays, and I'm willing to estimate that atleast 60% of those people don't know a damn thing about football. (Think wives, girlfriends, children who are only tuning in because of their football-craving husbands, boyfriends, or fathers.)

This is why Madden is so valuable. He understands the game and explains what's going on in terms that EVERYONE can understand. Why did Dennis Miller fail as a commentator? Because he referenced things like "the Battle of Verdun" or "Nebuchadnezzer's tomb" when talking about football.

Madden is no fool. I enjoy the energy and excitement in his voice and think he is a very valuable part of the viewing experience. His video game is also one of the reasons that the NFL dominates in revenue each year.

Kornholio: I'll miss you yet hate you at the same time. I loved reading your newpaper columns yet hate your TV work...

Of course, he still will keep a desk at the Post, so it's not like he's really gone. Not that he was really there in the first place.

When his PTI/MNF fades away (one can only hope it's soon), he'll get his gig back at the Post.

Madden is no fool. I enjoy the energy and excitement in his voice and think he is a very valuable part of the viewing experience. His video game is also one of the reasons that the NFL dominates in revenue each year.

I suppose if you don't know what a touchdown is, Madden is your guy. Football has dominated this country decades before there were PCs, consoles or even pong. I was there. Explain how a video game makes the NFL dominant? You need to put the controller down and get outside more.

Explain how a video game makes the NFL dominant? You need to put the controller down and get outside more.

No sir, I gave up video games about 7 years ago- Once I start playing, I just get locked-in... so I had to get myself clean. (I will admit to an occasional relapse from time-to-time.)

There is no question that the Madden franchise has boosted NFL revenue through exposure. Madden 2008 sold nearly 2 million copies in its first week, (a little less than what they sold in 2007) which pretty much ***** on their sales competition.

There are millions of people playing Madden football and familiarizing themselves with the rosters/players on teams that they might not normally follow very closely. Maybe you start a Franchise and trade for a young guy who develops and turns into a monster... are you not going to check out his stats on Sundays to see if he's tearing it up in real life? There are millions of kids playing Madden and saying things like, "Man, that rookie on the Bills is rated 97 speed, I bet he's gonna be awesome." So they watch. And they wait. When the guy finally catches a pass in the 3rd quarter the kid is pumped because he knew it all along. "Mom, I want that Bill's jersey.

Maybe it's not always that simple... but here's a personal experience. My cousin is in the 8th grade and knows every fact, statistic, and depth chart in the league. Three years ago I tried to force-feed him as much info about the NFL as I could- but he never really seemed to give two shoots. I asked him, "What changed?"

"Me and my friends play Madden all day."

My Cuz now has like 3 Fathead stickers and 8 different jerseys. (Four of them being Redskins, which I told him is fine as long as he never actually wears the other ones.)

It's the same effect that Fantasy Football is having... people are getting to know the players and are finally interested in the LEAGUE rather than just their home team. To that, the NFL says: CHAAAA-CHING!

There is no question that the Madden franchise has boosted NFL revenue through exposure. Madden 2008 sold nearly 2 million copies in its first week, (a little less than what they sold in 2007) which pretty much ***** on their sales competition.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. The NFL is strong and would survive just fine without a video game. The reverse is not true.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. The NFL is strong and would survive just fine without a video game. The reverse is not true.

The MLS is "surviving." The NFL is dominating. The reason for this is exposure, advertising, and an interactive experience for fans of all types. I'm not only talking about the videogames... but the Madden franchise has certainly helped expand the NFL on a global market as well. I'm not sure how you can argue that point. But go ahead.

The MLS is "surviving." The NFL is dominating. The reason for this is exposure, advertising, and an interactive experience for fans of all types. I'm not only talking about the videogames... but the Madden franchise has certainly helped expand the NFL on a global market as well. I'm not sure how you can argue that point. But go ahead.
Why haven't the soccer video games elevated MLS? I'm not knocking a game you like, but you cannot prove or even reasonably conclude that the success of the NFL is in any way connected to EA Sports. There are vastly more soccer games available for video consoles and PC's than football games. And like the NFL here, soccer has dominated world sport long before even color TV.

uuuummmm so yeah .....BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC!!

I think kornheiser was a great writer. I loved his articles when all he did was write. As soon as he got big on ESPN he became a jack ass. Its like I have an even bigger ego now that Im on TV and I am going to act like that. As soon as he took the ESPN gig I think he lost his Redskins loyalty card. It just seem to go out the window. Glad he is gone. I was tired of his poor sracastic humor.

Why haven't the soccer video games elevated MLS? I'm not knocking a game you like, but you cannot prove or even reasonably conclude that the success of the NFL is in any way connected to EA Sports. There are vastly more soccer games available for video consoles and PC's than football games. And like the NFL here, soccer has dominated world sport long before even color TV.

Yeah, comparing the MLS to the NFL would be like comparing Pro Basketball in Europe to the UEFA Champions League. The MLS doesn't have the best soccer players, very few players are even recognizable by the average fan. How many people can name an MLS player not named David Beckham? You might get one Sports nerd who'll say something like Landon Donovan, or if you're lucky, Jozy Altidore, but nothing much after that.

Archived