Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 current roster (alphabetical order) with individual accomplishments/fate!

michael_33

Washington Redskins

Quarterbacks

5 Colt Brennan=Sammy Baugh Trophy (2006)I'm expecting him to go on "IR" for tutoring under Zorn's wing and to open up a roster spot.If not he will be definate#3!

17 Jason Campbell=Parade All-American (1999),Mississippi Gatorade Player of the Year (1999),College awards and honors,NFC Offensive Player of the Week (Week 5, 2007).He is our starter#1!

15 Todd Collins=NFC Offensive Player of the Month (Dec. 2007)Should provide us a very capable #2 guy!

10 Derek Devine=probably camp fodder

3 Sam Hollenbach=Honorable mention All-ACC (2006),Champ Sports Bowl MVP (2006)More than likely our #3,unless somehow Colt Brennan becomes active or we sign a vet!

Running Backs

46 Ladell Betts=Thomas Simone Award,named a Parade and SuperPrep All-American,which are High School awards.Should retain his #2 role behind Portis and will see plenty of playing time.

36 Nehemiah Broughton FB=Sorry...He's camp fodder!Possibly practice squad.

31 Rock Cartwright KR=Parade All American(HS)He will remain on roster as our #3 RB and or backup FB,but may find himself fighting for return duties!

23 Marcus Mason=Second-team All-Gateway (2005),GFC Newcomer of the Year (2005),First-team All-Gateway (2006),GFC Offensive Player of the Year (2006),First-team Division I-FCS All-American (2006).Could be a sleeper to make the roster as the #4 RB.I would be disappointed if he can't at least make the practice squad!

26 Clinton Portis=AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (2002),Pro Bowl selection (2003).Our main man and is the best blocking RB in the league!

40 Pete Schmitt FB/TE=Probably camp fodder...better chance to make it as a backup FB,than at TE!

45 Mike Sellers FB=Getting older,but still our "human truck"!

35 Eric Shelton=Second-team All-Conference USA (2004)Has to beat out Marcus Mason for even a prayer,but actually could be the surprise of surprises this year...

Wide Receivers

84 Horace Gant=Great size,but with the competition he's up against....he should PRAY for the practice squad!

12 Malcolm Kelly=All-Big 12 second team (2006),All-Big 12 Freshman Team (2005) .Listed as 6'4" 219lbs,have we finally found our big guy?

80 Maurice Mann=Great last name,but has no shot!

13 Jerome Mathis=NFL Alumni Kick Returner of the Year (2005),First-team AP All-Pro (2005),Pro Bowl selection (2005).I actually think he makes the roster...and will probably take over kick return duties or at least share them!

16 Billy McMullen=Has great size at 6'4" 215 lbs,but size is no longer an advantage to make this squad!If he fights,he could make practice squad!

19 Anthony Mix=A huge 6'5" 235 lbs and plays special teams like a beast!But no room for error this season at the WR spot...I really hope he stays,but he could be in trouble!

89 Santana Moss=1x Pro Bowl selection (2005),2x All-Pro selection (2002, 2005) .If the Redskins drafting 2 WR's in the 2nd round this year wasn't a wakeup call to him,then he is in more trouble than he knows...A far superior athlete with the ability to score at any given moment when he has the football....Unfortunately,he also loses his head in very important games!From taking himself out of games with key mistakes(see GB) to quiting on routes(see SEA)...If he doesn't shape up,these new additions might start making his playing time disappear, like he has on occasion!But when he's on...He's clearly our #1 guy!

82 Antwaan Randle El PR=Super Bowl XL champion.I actually think that Randel El benefits from our new WR additions more than any other WR on the team.Now he can go to the #3 role,which made him so affective while in Pittsburgh...His ability to throw the ball allows for trick plays and he can play as a returner if other player injuries occur!Don't fool yourselves...El will be a very important part of this offense this season most definately!

11 Devin Thomas=Second-team All-KJCCC (2005),Second-team All-Big Ten (2007).There are high expectations from the most touted WR in this years draft who we stole...BUT..Not as high as if he were a 1st round pick and not the only good WR we picked up this year with potential!With his and Kelly's abilities to both contribute,not only do we get the best of both worlds with 2 promising WR's,but they won't be asked to put up pro Bowl #'s immediately either...His speed,size and athletic ability should be an asset to this team for years to come...He also just lifted the WR performance bar a notch on this team when his name was called...If Moss isn't worried about losing his job what so ever...He better turn and watch this kid play then...Cause I'd be a bit nervous right now!

83 James Thrash=If I were guessing any surprise cuts for the final roster,his name would be the first to come up...A shame really!Not only did we draft him,but he has made some huge clutch plays over the years on 3rd downs...His age and the competition is his biggest threat right now...Zorn may want to have a fountain of youth at this WR postion,which may be his undoing,but thrash's experience and leadership may actually bump Mix or Mathis!If we keep 6 WR's it's possible that all our guys but one will be here being Moss,Randel El,Thomas,Kelly,(Mix,Mathis and Thrash) all fighting for spots...As I said before,I think Mathis is safe...I think it will be between Mix if Thrash is able to stay..and if we even keep 6 WR's!Thrash could be gone...

18 Burl Toler=Camp fodder...has no shot!

Tight Ends

47 Chris Cooley=First-team All-Sun Belt (2003),Mackey Award finalist (2003) All-Pro selection (2005),Pro Bowl alternate (2006),Pro Bowl selection (2007)..The most underrated TE in the league IMO...

86 Fred Davis=2007 John Mackey Award,2007 Sporting News First Team All-American.As good as Cooley is,he never won the Mackey award the way this kid did...If this guy is for real and not overrated cause he went to a BIG school like USC unlike Cooley going to Utah St.,then we will be a very dangerous team!Having 1 stud TE is very hard to find...Having 2 is....Well,we don't know yet do we? :)Many have (including myself) been dogging this pick and praising the WR selections for passing on Calais Campbell...Probably thinking they won't be on the field at the same time if at all...Well...let me tell you!If he is as good as we expect him to be,we will find a way to get him on the field...Just because your title is TE,doesn't mean your squatting down in a 3-point stance on the outside shoulder of the OT on every play...There are many ways to utilize at TE from an H-back set,to a wr set(like Shockey)to a DBL TE set on same side and others...If you think Cooley is awesome...Imagine having 2 of them? :)

88 Tyler Ecker=Could fight for the 3rd spot with yoder,but I doubt he succeeds...Might make practice squad!

85 Jason Goode=Hasn't this guy been cut and resigned like 28 times already?lol :silly:I'll will faint,if he makes the practice squad!

87 Todd Yoder=He probably wasn't a very happy camper on draft day,but if he continues to work hard,should make the final spot at TE as the #3...

Offensive Linemen

78 Kerry Brown G=Will probably be put on "IR",so we can keep him and open up a roster spot!

62 Devin Clark T=Could be a surprise player this season...Buges seems to like him alot and wouldn't be surprised to see him make the roster let alone the practice squad,with the need of youth we require on the lines...

-- Andrew Crummey G=Camp fodder,but his name is fitting for a "dirtbag"

51 Kyle DeVan C=Camp fodder

69 Jason Fabini G/T=3x All-Conference USA (1995-1997)Has solidified at least a spot on the roster...Will have to see where he shakes out on the depth chart when all is said and done...Is 33 years old

68 Justin Geisinger G=Camp fodder

74 Stephon Heyer T=He will make the roster,just by the way he came in and filled in admirably with all the injuries we had...

76 Jon Jansen T=He really needs to try to stay healthy this year AND play well or his days as a Skin may be numbered..He may already be looking over his shoulder!

66 Pete Kendall G=I'm so glad we got this guy last year...plus he has 5 years as a Seahawk which should really help the other guys on their blocking schemes with Zorn implementing the West Coast...The move to get him may not have been as huge as last year,as it will be to have this guy this year and here on out with Zorn!He is 34 however...

61 Casey Rabach C=I look for Rinehart to give Rabach a run for his money this year...I also think we drafted him for the OC position as Rinehart can play all of them!Casey better watch out,or he may find himself as a backup!

75 Chad Rinehart G=Considered by many to be the best Div 2 O-lineman coming out this year...I sure hope he is pretty good cause with the way our line drops to the ground holding their knees...he will find a place here...!(Personally...I think we should groom him to replace Jansen)

60 Chris Samuels T=Outland Trophy (1999),AP All-Pro (2001),5x Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006 2007)He's the best we got!Seems like he's been here forever,but he's actually only 30...wow!At his rate...he will make the HOF before the original Hogs will....unbelievable!

77 Randy Thomas G=Awesome player,but has been getting hurt alot lately...If we are to make a serious push for the superbowl this year,he has got to stay healthy...!Behind Samuels,he's the next best O-lineman...Some think he's better!

71 Todd Wade T=It will be nice having him stay at Tackle backing up in case he's needed,instead of experimenting him at guard...and with Jansens history,he will see the field more than likely unfortunately!But he's a vet and will be needed here...

63 Tavares Washington T=First-team JUCO All-American (2002),Third-team Preseason All-SEC (2005).I don't know much about this guy,but he has some credentials that most of our camp fodders don't have...It will be interesting to see what he has to offer!He sure has the name for this team! :cheers:

Defensive Linemen

79 Lorenzo Alexander DT/G=Camp Fodder

91 Matthias Askew DT=Hoping for practice squad

73 Ryan Boschetti DT=Why do we always see this guy on the roster?I would love to tell you,his number is up....but Ryan will never leave..EVER!He will probably wind up a coordinator in washington someday...or a coach..or the owner...something,but his name is destined to live in my mind FOREVER....My god..cut this guy already!

90 Alex Buzbee DE=I actually like this guy,but I don't see him making the cut...He could make the practice squad!

99 Andre Carter DE=Our #1 pass rusher and probably our only one... :mad:We will need another big year from him!

93 Phillip Daniels DE=Solid player but he's 35 years old now...I expect someone to challenge him for that RDE spot this season!We should definately keep him though with his ability to stop the run...Imagine this..Getting Jason Taylor would be a youth movement!lol :silly:

72 Tommy Davis DE=Camp fodder...he's just not that big at all...

92 Demetric Evans DE=He will definately make the team and may be the guy that replaces Daniels...(if that ever happens)

64 Kedric Golston DT=good size at 6'4" 320 and will only get better...I look for him to be the starting DT next to Griffin this year...

96 Cornelius Griffin DT=Solid player with age and injuries sneaking up on him...But when healthy?He's a monster at DT...

97 Kevin Huntley DE=At 6'7" 270...he could be our Calais Campbell hopefully...Him an 08' draft pick Rob Jackson are both from Kansas St.so it should be interesting if either of these guys make the squad!

98 Rob Jackson DE=Must be a good player cause he sure is not that big...Unless they plan on using him as a LB,I wouldn't be surprised if he is the 1 sure cut from this draft class!

94 Anthony Montgomery DT=Should make roster and provide ok depth at DT...Could fight for starting role over Golston...!

74 Dorian Smith DE=Camp fodder

95 Chris Wilson DE=Really showed flashes last year at rushing the passer...He will definately make the squad and PERHAPS could take that MASSIVE opening at RDE...

Linebackers

54 H. B. Blades ILB=Very good player and special teams player as well...He will be here!

50 Khary Campbell OLB=I'm sorry,but this guy has to go...Like Boschetti,he always finds his name on final cut down day...Please put a red TAG in his locker...Please!

59 London Fletcher ILB=Rams Rookie of the Year (1998),Super Bowl XXXIV Champion Looks like he gets to wear the headset this year...!Excellent aquisition with the departure of Pierce!

56 Curtis Gatewood OLB=Camp fodder

52 Rocky McIntosh OLB=Recovering from surgery and hopefully,will be ready at some point this season...Has alot of talent!

58 Matt Sinclair ILB=Camp fodder

51 Danny Verdun-Wheeler ILB=Camp fodder

55 Rian Wallace ILB=2x All-Big East (2003-2004),Super Bowl champion (XL)..Played for Pittsburgh and may find himself fighting for a spot...But how many ILB's are we keeping with Fletcher and Blades as locks?

53 Marcus Washington OLB=Pro Bowl (x1) Slowing down a bit a 30,but still an important part of this team...Great football player!

57 Bryan Wilson OLB=If he was trying out for lead singer of the Beach Boys,he would have a shot!Camp fodder...

Defensive Backs

37 Reed Doughty FS=We are hearing good things from this kid as he filled in nicely for our beloved Sean Taylor...It's his spot to lose!

25 John Eubanks CB=Freshman All-Conference USA (2002),2x First-team All-Conference USA (2003-2004),C-USA Special Teams Player of the Year (2004).. Well...At least we see why they like this kid so much!But it won't be an easy task to land a spot at a position I think 1/2 this board thinks we are desparate at...

39 Vernon Fox SS=Should make roster with his experience and be a backup...

35 Patrick Ghee S=Camp fodder

38 Cedrick Holt CB=Camp fodder

48 Chris Horton S=Hoping he makes the cut and backups LaRon Landry...Doesn't have overwhelming competition...!

32 Eddie Jackson CB=Camp fodder

30 LaRon Landry SS=2006 First-Team All-American (AP, AFCA),2006 Second-Team All-American (Walter Camp Foundation),2006 First-Team All-SEC (AP, SEC Coaches) We sure can't afford no sophmore slump from him this season...Had an outstanding rookie campaign and will only get better..!

41 Kareem Moore S=Camp fodder

40 Matteral Richardson CB=Camp fodder

22 Carlos Rogers CB=Jim Thorpe Award (2004) If only he played like Jim Thorpe?I hope he recovers well and becomes the player we drafted in the first round!...So far...he's been a bust!

27 Fred Smoot CB=I'm so glad we got him back from the Vikings!(when Carlos gets healthy,he can backup this guy) :)

24 Shawn Springs CB=Pro Bowl (x2) Our best CB,but he's aging at 33...I sure hope he stays relatively healthy this year!

29 Leigh Torrence CB=I think he will probably be gone this year...

20 Justin Tryon CB=I think this guy will impress and see him self in some dime or maybe even Nickel Packages...

34 Byron Westbrook CB=3x All-ACFC (2004-2006)..I think Westbrook can make this team...If not...I definately think he makes the practice squad...(specially with Rogers and Springs on the roster)

Special Teams

67 Ethan Albright LS=Pro Bowl selection (2008),All-ACC team Key component to our special teams play!Very good snapper...Too bad Madden doesn't think so...

14 Durant Brooks P=Ray Guy Award (2007) I expect Brooks to beat out frost for sure...If he doesn't,then I'm never watching u-tube videos ever again!

4 Derrick Frost P=The only way we makes this team,is if he somehow finds a way to boom kicks a 100 yards either by punt or on kickoffs...

6 Shaun Suisham K=Don't see anyone challenging him as the Kicker...but hey...kickers are kickers... :)

Note:Is it not ironic....that the only player position on the field of this team without any personal accomplishments is on the D-line?

More than one scout has commented that Lorenzo Alexander could be a solid player at OG. The problem is with the lack of talent coming in on the DL, the team is tempted to keep him in a rover position, flip-flopping him back and forth.

This is not in the long-term best interests of the player or the organization.

alexander is not camp fodder. the guy did everything for us last year. Offense on the Goal line, Defense,and Special teams. Also i hope the skins keep Andrew Crummey IR/Practice squad. He was one of the top guards earlier in the year before he got hurt. If he gets a chance to heal and learn under Buges could be huge for longterm Oline stability.

kerry brown and andrew crummey = two guys who were overlooked mainly because of injuries... i really think these two guys could be the future of our o-line.

I agree. very excited to see how they develop, along with Rinehart as well.

Randle El has never done KR's(at least not to my knowledge) and has done nothing as a punt returner the past few years. It's time to let someone else have a shot at returning punts. Mathis is not the answer at PR either, the texans tried him there with no result. I don't think he'll make the roster ( too much depth at WR and KR). there's no way we keep 7 WR's either. 6 is the max we'll take.

If Randle El is the # 3 receiver, why can't he do kick returns and punt returns?

Randle El is TERRIBLE at punt returns. He dances and moves to much when he touches the ball. Kick returns is pretty solid with Cartwright and now Mathis going to be back. Mathis running back and Cartwright being the lead blocker. His primary focus should be being our slot reciever with his speed. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's more involved on short outs, small comebacks and a bunch of screens. Randle EL would be good at punt returns, but, he dances to much.

Hey yall. I'm a Appalachian and Redskins fan and know for a fact that Kerry Brown is healthy and not injured. What injuries are yall talking about? He came out great on his physical and participated in all of mini camp.

Quick scouting report on Kerry Brown for those that don't know about him.

Brown started four of eight games during his freshman season of 2004, starting at the left guard position all of the team's 15 games during his sophomore campaign. He repeated the feat in 2006. Following that season, Brown was named Southern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2006. He also earned first team Division I-AA All American honors. He has had a solid senior campaign, again starting all of the team's games at left guard and again he took first team All American honors. Brown ended his collegiate career by being selected to play in the Texas vs. The Nation All Star Game on February 2, 2008.

Brown is an experienced starter. At times he looks to be a "man against boy" while playing against his team's weekly competition. He has a good frame and weight distribution. He is a good pass protector being able to stay low and maintain good leverage. Brown moves laterally with ease and is very smooth while changing directions. He moves well in the second and third blocking level and can play under control. While he uses his hands well, he needs to improve his mechanics. He doesn't have great speed (5.24-40) and will have trouble with edge rushers. He definitely needs to add weight and strength because he gets pushed around. Another concern is that he needs to learn to sustain blockers better. Brown's competition level is somewhat of a concern.

Brown is a hard worker, he can play with injuries and is willing to learn the position. The fact that he sometimes dominated against his opponents means that the level of competition label could be a wash. He is not a great athlete and did not posses any overshadowing trait. Brown is currently forecast to be drafted late in the draft or could even become a free agent.

Of course, pre-draft. ;)Source

1. Sam Hollenbach is not our likely #3 QB. Colt Brennan will be fine once training camp starts.

2. Lorenzo Alexander = camp fodder? Como say what? You did watch the Skins last year right?

3. Chad Rinehart didnt play division 2.

4. Anthony Montgomery SHOULD make the team and MIGHT start over Golston? See my comment on Lorenzo Alexander. Its possible Monty is the best defensive lineman we have on the entire roster.

5. Kareem Moore is a 6th round pick - he is far from camp fodder, as you say. Chris Horton, whom you seem to love, was drafted 69 spots AFTER Moore.

6. Not every guy you listed is eligible for the PS. Guys like Billy McMullen have too much NFL experience.

7. Thanks for doing this....interesting read!!!!!

8. !!!!!!

Randle El is TERRIBLE at punt returns. He dances and moves to much when he touches the ball. Kick returns is pretty solid with Cartwright and now Mathis going to be back. Mathis running back and Cartwright being the lead blocker. His primary focus should be being our slot reciever with his speed. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's more involved on short outs, small comebacks and a bunch of screens. Randle EL would be good at punt returns, but, he dances to much.

Mathis will likely not even make the squad, per Danny Smith

Mathis will likely not even make the squad, per Danny Smith

He might not, but, weird things happen in training camp. Even if he doesn't, it's not like we broke the bank on him or made a ridiculous trade. Should be interesting should he get a shot.

Its an interesting list and I see the work put into it and i appreciate it and for the most part I do agree .

But I do want to know why so many fans hate the initials CR? Why are so many people down on Rabach for example . He is a fine center and was playing with injury most of the season . Pre injury he was ripping up the line, possibly our best blocker, picking up multiple rushers . I can see we need a replacement in a few years but since his addition he has been solid at least . I could see Riehart being either a replacement for Thomas or Kendell in the future . I know he is backing up Rabach but that is because we have no established options back there. Just because Jansen is taking snaps at center doesn't make he is making the switch either..

And speaking of CR, Carlos Rogers is the best CB from the 2005 draft again in the early part of the season pre injury he was the best CB we had . He played well on special teams and was developing nicely . Remember unlike Bailey, who also struggled in his first few season at times with the skins (and was selected earlier), Rogers didn't have the benefit of having two HoF CBs mentoring him and taking the focus off him allowing him to shine . You want to talk bust Rolle selected before Rogers will most likey find himself playing out his rookie contract at safety... Jones was close to being benched in 2005, played better on special teams in 2006 and suspended 2007 and beyond and like Fabian Washington recently traded for a 4th round pick....Rogers is still a starting CB in the NFL (You don't loose your place through injury) and yet HE is the bust ? Some people need to take the hater glasses off .

We needed a CB he was the best available in the 2005 draft . He actually had no influence on where he was picked and so why that is used as a hammer to hit him with is always a mystery . Yes we could have selected Merriman who fits fantastically in the 3-4 system but would be questionable as an OLB or MLB in the 4-3 . Ware might have been better given his larger range but we still had washington and LaVar at that point we were good at LB . We should have resigned Smoot but even then Smoot wasn't the answer at CB in Williams system which is why he was almost benched in 2004 and would have been had it not been for the lobbying of Harris and Springs .

Outside players with the initials CR I think you are off on a couple of other players . Wade has to be gone unless he can prove the worst of the injuries are behind him . I think Alexander has a future as guard and eligible receiver stuff at the goal line . Montgomery and Golston made improvements last year and there seems to be have been a changing of the guard moment mid season where a healthy Griffin was held ff the field to leave Golston in . Montgomery already was the starting DT next to Griffin . If Golston can be the other starter then I think that is only a good thing . If Griffin can stay healthy it will be as a part time player ...much like Springs was used last year rotating in with Smoot and playing nickle and it may rejuvenate his presence up the middle.

Some of the players you have relegated to the practice squad are no longer eligible and I also think of all the players Mathis has a huge uphill battle to make the team .

1.colt brennan will be ready to go by training camp...there is no reason to place him on IR...

2.Rabach has 3-4 solid years left,and his job is safe.Rinehart is here to be an OT/OG,they're just expirementing with him to see if he could play OC if Rabach got hurt. heck even jansen took snaps at center at minicamp.

3.as for golston and montgomery

montgomery took golston's job in 2007 and ran with it. I don't see where your getting the information to pencil in golston as the 2008 starter...

4.now pete kendall has something to fear from Rinehart,and Jon Jansen too. Kendall wasn't much better than fabini last year so if Rinehart is a quick study, I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting at LG by seasons end or beginning.

5.and with the way you have LB shaking out leaves us with only 4 active linebackers....5 if you count gatewood...

6.how is kareem moore camp fodder when he was drafted ahead of chris horton

moore had a knee scope but he'll be 100% for training camp so it's not really an issue,especially given that the team knew and still drafted him ahead of horton.

There's no way we cut Alexander, the guy can play both lines and special teams, the coaches love him. I also disagree about Khary Campbell and Matt Sinclair. Campbell is one of our key special teams players and has done alright filling in at LB on occasion. Sinclair is another special teams contributor, probably stays on the practice squad for another year until he becomes Campbell's sucessor.

Wow I didn't know we picked up Billy McMullen, I've always been a fan of his since his days at UVA. I hope he can maybe have something kick in and get him at least on the practice squad for a back-up if we sustain injuries at the WR position. Solid player just lacks speed but he has good hands for over the middle catches.

Archived