Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something My Buddy Told Me (Rumor)

fdarugar

Yes, but I think it is safe to say this team is more than a star WR away from a Super Bowl. So don't rule anything out.

You think it is safe to say that? We were a playoff team last year with a weak group of receivers. 1 top ten receiver would probably be enough to get us to the NFC champioship game and possibly a SB

havent we already proved that bringing in proven players from other teams doesnt equal winning? how many more times do we have to fail for you guys to understand this? were going on a decade now of ignoring the draft. how much longer can we continue this?

Dude, you are really pouring it on thick. All week it has been nothing but hating on any decision that the front office makes, with these wild "shock value" statements trying to stir the pot or whatevre, but seriously quit with the drama queen act. Noone has said whether it is even a WR, so no, Vinny hasnt gone back on his word and heaven forbid we actually try and improve our roster. Ill bet you were a heath Shuler fan, or a Desmond Howard fan. How is that Taylor Jacobs or Rod Gardner jersey holding up in your closet? We miss on draft picks as well, its not an exact science. Coming onto extremeskins and posting stupid responses in threads (namely "I wouldnt want Tom Brady for a 7th rounder on this team") isnt going to change anyone on this boards mind, or the FO, so why put all that crap out there? From all your post's, you seem like a VERY emotional person, very dramatic. Woe is you BLC, woe is you. I dont know about anyone else, but it gets old.

You think it is safe to say that? We were a playoff team last year with a weak group of receivers. 1 top ten receiver would probably be enough to get us to the NFC champioship game and possibly a SB

I agree with you...we did fine with that crew last yr bu i dont think they can repeat besides Moss thats why we need to trade for a WR or draft one with the 1st rd....:2cents:

dude, the guys the redskins had in that 1980s period that i listed, who were drafted, were all starters, and all came around within a 4-5 year period of each other, some of them even closer.

landry, rogers, monty, cooley, campbell are a nice START. samuels has a few years left, jansen is close to done. those are the only two drafted starters on our oline. heyer is a depth guy, as is golston (unless he steps it up, which id looooove if he did).

we are a few impact guys in this draft from being a great team. we need some oline, a DE, a WR, and another corner (because springs is done soon). we have too many guys at the end to think were close. once we have a nice corp of like 15 starters aged 22-28, ill feel much better.

on top of that, we dont even know if campbell is "the guy". i personally think he is, but i could be wrong.

I'm with you on that, but I think that's going to take more than this year. I am for keeping our picks, but look at everything on a case by case basis. I agree that Danny has done more bad than good in getting players, but it's all luck. Just like with the 80's that was luck. I'd like to think they have a plan at Redskins Park, and I hope it isn't a Dr. Seuss book on sports.:laugh:

This has always been my argument. People who always gripe about us trading for players never mention the people we traded for that contribute positively to our team.

If everything in Football was exact science, there would just be "The Way", and that would be how everybody does it. But successfull teams have gone abuot it in many different ways. Draft (giants), trades(chargers), veteran players (patriots)

lets take a look at all the guys we traded for and signed as a FA

mark brunell - traded 3rd round pick. gave us one good year, two really bad ones.

randy thomas - has been very good, injured all last year.

shawn springs - great 04, solid 05, injury plagued 06, good end of 07. costs waaaaay too much.

corneilus griffin - great 04, has been decent since then, injury problems as well.

clinton portis - traded champ/extra 2nd rounder. has been a complete beast, sans one injured year. best trade weve made. hes also the youngest player weve traded for (shocking the youngest has been the most productive? maybe?)

phillip daniels - overrated in my opinon, good run stopper, but not much else.

marcus washington - very solid, had great 04/05.

santana moss - one great season, very weak aside from 05.

casey rabach - good pickup, very healthy and solid C.

brandon lloyd - 3rd and 4th rounder. LOL

adam archuletta - 30 million contract. LOL x 2

andre carter - 30 million contract. solid DE, not worth his contract.

TJ duckett - 3rd rounder. LOL

antwaan randle el - 30 million for a slot receiver. not a very smart move.

london fletcher - great pickup, but towards end of career

fred smoot - solid corner, had productive season

these were all the big name players weve brought in over the past 4 seasons. most of the guys brought in in 04 are towards the end of their careers, if not finished. 06 was a huge failure with our pickups.

every player we traded a draft pick for (sans portis) is gone, and we have nothing to show for it. this is what bothers me. we need to stop giving away picks, and use them to draft 22 year old guys.

Dude, you are really pouring it on thick. All week it has been nothing but hating on any decision that the front office makes, with these wild "shock value" statements trying to stir the pot or whatevre, but seriously quit with the drama queen act. Noone has said whether it is even a WR, so no, Vinny hasnt gone back on his word and heaven forbid we actually try and improve our roster. Ill bet you were a heath Shuler fan, or a Desmond Howard fan. How is that Taylor Jacobs or Rod Gardner jersey holding up in your closet? We miss on draft picks as well, its not an exact science. Coming onto extremeskins and posting stupid responses in threads (namely "I wouldnt want Tom Brady for a 7th rounder on this team") isnt going to change anyone on this boards mind, or the FO, so why put all that crap out there? From all your post's, you seem like a VERY emotional person, very dramatic. Woe is you BLC, woe is you. I dont know about anyone else, but it gets old.

put me on ignore if it gets old then. it bothers me to hear that were attempting to trade draft picks yet again. im sorry you think its good were trading first round picks for 30 year olds. and way to post 4 failures over the past 16 years. i guess we should just never draft anyone again.

I'm with you on that, but I think that's going to take more than this year. I am for keeping our picks, but look at everything on a case by case basis. I agree that Danny has done more bad than good in getting players, but it's all luck. Just like with the 80's that was luck. I'd like to think they have a plan at Redskins Park, and I hope it isn't a Dr. Seuss book on sports.:laugh:

i agree, its going to take time, which is why i hope we start tomorrow at 6:30 pm in the right direction. and i agree again, i hope they have a plan that doesnt consist of spinning an arrow and having it land on a player. we should write dr seuss poems and send them to vinny before tomorrow

i do not want chad johnson here

i do not want chad johnson near

i wouldnt take him in a boat

i wouldnt take him on a float

i wouldnt want him in DC

use the draft's enough for me! :cheers:

clinton portis - traded champ/extra 2nd rounder. has been a complete beast, sans one injured year. best trade weve made. hes also the youngest player weve traded for (shocking the youngest has been the most productive? maybe?)

brandon lloyd - 3rd and 4th rounder. LOL

adam archuletta - 30 million contract. LOL x 2

andre carter - 30 million contract. solid DE, not worth his contract.

TJ duckett - 3rd rounder. LOL

antwaan randle el - 30 million for a slot receiver. not a very smart move.

every player we traded a draft pick for (sans portis) is gone, and we have nothing to show for it. this is what bothers me. we need to stop giving away picks, and use them to draft 22 year old guys.

You make some valid points. I never said that the Redskins were doing anything spectacular in their efforst. 2006 looks like a nightmare when you put it out there like this. I remember when all of that off season was happening, my Steeler's fan-friend laughed at me non-stop.

Either way, it does illistrate what I was saying that you may hit it big with a trade or you may hit the dust. Portis vs. B.Lloyd trades. But it shouldn't stop you from making future decisions because of a few poor results in the past. This team was in the mud before Gibbs came back. Where is Patrick Ramsey now? Mark Brunell took his job (while we were all Booing) and left us where we are now. A 26-year old qb with an aging injury-prone O-line with Average to Above-Average receivers. Draft? Trade? sign Vet min contracts to fill in holes? All could lead to some success. All could lead to some failure. M'eh...

put me on ignore if it gets old then. it bothers me to hear that were attempting to trade draft picks yet again. im sorry you think its good were trading first round picks for 30 year olds. and way to post 4 failures over the past 16 years. i guess we should just never draft anyone again.

Ok, what proof do you have that we are trading for a 30 year old? Link? Four failures in 16 years, and it was off the top of my head, wasnt even a sticking point of the conversation, only in your mind. You speculate on every rumor and over dramatize evrything. You are like those old ladies that scream "Somebody think about the children!!!" So why if we have had failures as far back as 16 years, why are you blaming Vinny, Snyder and the rest of the FO? they wernt there 16 years ago. There will always be draft bust's, noone is exempt from that, but you want to have tunnel vision and blame the FO from Snyders tenure here to fixate and cry about. Being frustrated with your team, and being a dramaqueen are two different things. I could understand frustration, but your pos'ts take it to a whole other level that it really doesnt need to go.

The thing to remember is that Draft picks are not guaranteed to be any good either...

As a matter of fact, they tend to have a higher bust rate than free agent/trade acquisitions.

I agree with you that we need to draft, but again... I believe in a mix of acquisition through draft and free agent/trades

BLC,

If you're talking about Taylor, it's still a rumor so don't panic.

If you're talking about Johnson. Then I agree with you in the fact that I felt it was really stupid to offer up that much for a player with a rookie HC and a developing QB (Jason is getting there but isn't there yet). However, we need to remember 2 things:

1. Trade NEVER happened. Cincy said no, thank god they have a grudge with Johnson.

2. We never really know what was fully said and what was fully offered. What were the conditons to escalate the 2009 pick to a 1st rounder. Did the Redskins want anything in return? All we see is the same **** by the same writers (and posters on ES) bashing the Skins for even throwing the offer on the table.

Did anybody hammer the Eagles or the Cowboys for doing the EXACT same thing with Cincy. NO. But the Redskins get hammered.

What did theEagles offer Cincy? What about Dallas? Nobody's reporting that.

And had the Skins NOT at least gone after him how much would the Skins had been thrown over the coals by the same media and by the same ES posters if Dallas or Philly had traded for him?

Just something to think about even though I think what was on the table was too much.

I think we are also a shutdown corner away from even thinking about a conference title game. Not to mention a consistent pass rush and help on the interior of both OL and DL.

The thing to remember is that Draft picks are not guaranteed to be any good either...

As a matter of fact, they tend to have a higher bust rate than free agent/trade acquisitions.

I agree with you that we need to draft, but again... I believe in a mix of acquisition through draft and free agent/trades

Exactly..well said, i hold a similar stance...

I think we are also a shutdown corner away from even thinking about a conference title game. Not to mention a consistent pass rush and help on the interior of both OL and DL.

Please...just look at the Giants team they have Flaws all over the place and THEY WON THE SB! are CB are fine, we need a wr bad!

Ok, what proof do you have that we are trading for a 30 year old? Link? Four failures in 16 years, and it was off the top of my head, wasnt even a sticking point of the conversation, only in your mind. You speculate on every rumor and over dramatize evrything. You are like those old ladies that scream "Somebody think about the children!!!" So why if we have had failures as far back as 16 years, why are you blaming Vinny, Snyder and the rest of the FO? they wernt there 16 years ago. There will always be draft bust's, noone is exempt from that, but you want to have tunnel vision and blame the FO from Snyders tenure here to fixate and cry about. Being frustrated with your team, and being a dramaqueen are two different things. I could understand frustration, but your pos'ts take it to a whole other level that it really doesnt need to go.

what proof? marvin lewis confirmed that we already tried. thats enough to bother me. it PROVES that vinny would rather give picks away for proven players (yet again). i dont know what other proof you want. the fact that the bengals declined is moot in my opinion, vinnys goal was to mortgage the future for the present with that move, which bothers me. and i think youre the one going overboard, i took a FACT (that vinny tried to deal picks for a 30 year old receiver) and stated my opinion (which is me being ticked off about it). it bothers me even more when i read articles about dan snyder "maturing" and "learning his lessons" to see us go right back to attempting to make the same moves that have hindered us in the past. and it bothers me on top of that to see fans wanting our FO to repeat the same mistakes weve made in the past. its just baffling to me.

and you brought up the busts of 16 years ago, not me. i was merely responding to your post.

Yes, but I think it is safe to say this team is more than a star WR away from a Super Bowl. So don't rule anything out.

I have seen this quote in a number of threads-

Sorry, but I have to disagree. As all nfl coaches will tell you, its make it to the playoffs first, then anything can happen. Gibbs used to preach this all the time.

Look back at last year. Would anybody(outside of NY) have really belived that the Giants would be in the SuperBowl, much less win. And how about the Carolina Panthers in 2003.

Nothing wrong with looking for a superbowl ring, but to say we are not one player away from making the big game is just a hypothesis. Heck we were possably just a couple of plays away from making it last year.

I am not saying this is justification for trading away our draft picks, but we have to be realistic. You build via the draft and thru trades and FA. There has to be a balance.

BLC,

If you're talking about Taylor, it's still a rumor so don't panic.

If you're talking about Johnson. Then I agree with you in the fact that I felt it was really stupid to offer up that much for a player with a rookie HC and a developing QB (Jason is getting there but isn't there yet). However, we need to remember 2 things:

1. Trade NEVER happened. Cincy said no, thank god they have a grudge with Johnson.

2. We never really know what was fully said and what was fully offered. What were the conditons to escalate the 2009 pick to a 1st rounder. Did the Redskins want anything in return? All we see is the same **** by the same writers (and posters on ES) bashing the Skins for even throwing the offer on the table.

Did anybody hammer the Eagles or the Cowboys for doing the EXACT same thing with Cincy. NO. But the Redskins get hammered.

What did theEagles offer Cincy? What about Dallas? Nobody's reporting that.

And had the Skins NOT at least gone after him how much would the Skins had been thrown over the coals by the same media and by the same ES posters if Dallas or Philly had traded for him?

Just something to think about even though I think what was on the table was too much.

we get bashed more cause our history is so bad. blloyd, archuleta, bruce smith, deion sanders, mark brunell, etc. obviously some of those were a long time ago, but its the stigma that dan snyder would rather buy a team than develop it, and sportswriters go with it. the cowboys wont get lambasted because they have that drafted core that i think we are lacking. same with the eagles.

and why didnt anyone report what the eagles/cowboys offered? could it be we were the only ones who actually offered anything concrete?

and personally i dont care when johnson ends up. let him end up on the cowboys/eagles/giants. im more concerned with our team, not who gets another player.

and to point number 1, thank god they said no. id be completely bummed if they had agreed. but i am bothered by the offer. it proves were still in the same mode as before, ignore draft, trade picks for vets. i wish we could get over this and just focus on ourselves.

I am glad you are not running an NFL franchise because nobody is going to give up a big name receiver for 1 pick. Nobody would give us a big name player in most postions for 1 pick.

And likewise I'm glad you are not running a team either because you'd probably give them 3 number 1 picks. And why is that so far fetched. Miami wants JUST a #1 for Taylor. Maybe if the Redskins start being the one to drive a hard bargain and not let the other teams take advantage of them in every trade, then maybe we wouldn't have to give up the farm for a player.

Boldin was a 2nd round pick and has 1 pro bowl season I beleive so giving them the #21 us very equitable. Plus he's been injured some. Roy Williams is in the doghouse with the team and he hasn't been all pro very much either, but he's done more then our WR's. Why wouldn't he be worth the #21 pick? They'd still have Charles Johnson, Furry and McDonald and have 2 first round picks. We need to drive a hard bargain and make other teams WANT to accept our trades instead of us accepting all of theiir trades.

Archived