Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Drinking Age

Bounce

I would argue for both. Early in life is best, but 18 is still better than 21.

Your entire argument seems to be "kids are dumber nowadays," which not only has no scientific backing, but is, in fact, widely disproven. You seem to think that I'm speaking of book smarts. I'm not. If you want to claim that you believe kids have less common sense now than they have in recent decades merely because YouTube is there to document stupid actions, then there obviously is very little I could do to convince you otherwise. You seem to have a fully-entrenched opinion based entirely on anecdotal evidence. You're entitled to that, but I do hope you recognize that few laws are ever determined via anecdotes.

Wait till you start hiring people, you'll have a better grasp for it. You're infatuated with my youtube comment, it was a simple statement not the basis for my argument. You have fully entrenched your opinion on someone's test scores instead of the mental capability to reason and responisiblity. Two totally different things. Yes children now a days do have less common sense than decades before. Life came faster then, high school, then work. They had families at a younger age forcing responsiblity upon them. You still never addressed my comment about the population size, the population in 1972 was 203 million, it is now over 300 million. There are more people on the roads, more kids with access to vehicles. It's a recipe for disaster.

It's kinda like why marijuana will never be legalized, people say "No good will come of it". Well if freedom is good, then yes, good will come of it.

:laugh: :laugh:

Theres many reasons why pot should be legal but thats defnitely the first time I heard that it's illegalization is keeping away my freedom.

Drinking age? What drinking age?

Underage people get alcohol no matters what laws are enforced.

Ding ding ding.

What good would come of this, explain that? How would lowering the drinking age make society better? I think its dumb, because there would be more drinking and driving, more high schoolers going to school hung over. I guess the good thing would be they could always blame it on "hey i got drunk last night that is why i could not do my homework".:laugh:

A number of ways. The rate of binge drinking amongst under-21-year-olds in the United States is much higher than it is in Europe. Alcohol becomes a normal part of life to kids there. They're used to it. Hence, they know how to handle it better.

Just make it 45,that way I can cut my wife off ;)

Did ya'll learn responsibility between 18-21 magically?..maybe I am odd,but I don't recall much of a difference.

I kinda like the lowered BAC idea,but why not just lower it across the board?

Wait till you start hiring people, you'll have a better grasp for it. You're infatuated with my youtube comment, it was a simple statement not the basis for my argument. You have fully entrenched your opinion on someone's test scores instead of the mental capability to reason and responisiblity. Two totally different things. Yes children now a days do have less common sense than decades before. Life came faster then, high school, then work. They had families at a younger age forcing responsiblity upon them. You still never addressed my comment about the population size, the population in 1972 was 203 million, it is now over 300 million. There are more people on the roads, more kids with access to vehicles. It's a recipe for disaster.

Perhaps my infatuation comes from the fact that you haven't provided any basis for your argument other than your personal belief that people are dumber, which, again, is running against actual scientific studies.

I didn't address your comment about population size because it's so ludicrous that I honestly didn't think you were attempting to focus on it. Please point to any law that has anything to do with drinking that we have ever enacted because of the national population.

I'm curious if there are statistics that compare U.S. college age kids "binge" drinking to those of other countries.

I see a bunch of people from all over, and it's generally the U.S. kids who have the let's get drunk until we make fools of ourselves and get alcohol poisoning attitude.

I blame the U.S. for it, and I think it's probably the repressed society and drinking age, but I'm open to other opinions.

I'm curious if there are statistics that compare U.S. college age kids "binge" drinking to those of other countries.

I see a bunch of people from all over, and it's generally the U.S. kids who have the let's get drunk until we make fools of ourselves and get alcohol poisoning attitude.

I blame the U.S. for it, and I think it's probably the repressed society and drinking age, but I'm open to other opinions.

There are. I studied them a couple years ago - I'll see if I can snag some off of Google with a quick search, but you've essentially hit it right on the money. Our drinking age achieves exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to achieve.

Perhaps my infatuation comes from the fact that you haven't provided any basis for your argument other than your personal belief that people are dumber, which, again, is running against actual scientific studies.

I didn't address your comment about population size because it's so ludicrous that I honestly didn't think you were attempting to focus on it. Please point to any law that has anything to do with drinking that we have ever enacted because of the national population.

Population size is ludicrous, ok. Lets see more people, more drivers, more kids with access to vehicles. More population with access to alcohol will increase drunk driving accidents anmd related deaths. I know it's a tough equation to follow. I never stated the drinking law was enacted do to population did I? Nope, didnt think so, want to put some more words into my mouth? Reversing the drinking age after a 50% population increase does matter and is relevant to the topic.

how much crime is conducted or done because of the influence of alcohol on college campuses? Alot. That will reduce the problem big time

Isn't that essentially just an argument to ban alcohol for everyone? After all, how much crime is conducted under the influence of alcohol, no matter what the age of the drinker?

Though the drinking age is based on flawed logic (in terms of brain development), there is no point in changing it.

As much as I would love it being 313 days away from 21 (not that I'm counting), its not sensible to lower it. No lawmaker is going to take up our cause, which is unfortunate but in a year I probably won't give a crap.

how much crime is conducted or done because of the influence of alcohol on college campuses? Alot. That will reduce the problem big time

I'm sure the bar owners and employees would love that idea. So move the crime into the dorms and onto college campus? After that goes over so well, should we then raise the drinking age to 27 to cut down on club and other bar crime? Where should we stop? Completely abolish alcohol in America, that one definitely didn't go over so well.

And also, it may take away from drunken crimes but I'm sure it will add to things like theft, robbery and the use of illegal drugs which are more readliy available.

I have been drinking since 16, never had a problem getting alcohol if I provided people the money to get it for them. I go out a buy alcohol all the time for my friends and to supply my parties.

If no one gets stupid at my house and gets home safe, I'm down.

It can't be 18 because then kids will have 18th bdays with 18 shots :doh: :doh: :doh:

sorry but kids are worse then it comes to drinking then I was, the 21 club, come on more kids would die of alcohol poisoning if the raised the limit

Population size is ludicrous, ok. Lets see more people, more drivers, more kids with access to vehicles. More population with access to alcohol will increase drunk driving accidents anmd related deaths. I know it's a tough equation to follow. I never stated the drinking law was enacted do to population did I? Nope, didnt think so, want to put some more words into my mouth? Reversing the drinking age after a 50% population increase does matter and is relevant to the topic.

:doh:

I think anyone else reading this thread will understand when I say that I'd rather just let you continue believe that this mades the tiniest shred of sense than waste far too much of my time trying to explain why it doesn't.

It can't be 18 because then kids will have 18th bdays with 18 shots :doh: :doh: :doh:

It's absolutely stunning that you seem to think they don't already do just that.

sorry but kids are worse then it comes to drinking then I was, the 21 club, come on more kids would die of alcohol poisoning if the raised the limit

Funny how "kids are worse when it comes to drinking" is the exact same argument made when comparing American kids to those in Europe. Ours binge drink at much heavier rate, despite our laws. Perhaps that's because of the way our culture handles alcohol.

Archived