Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An interesting idea

kiingspadee

lets draft Kelly another great idea...the guy is slow, very slow has banged up knees...how about we get Brandon Llyod back while were at it.

I wonder if Keller ran for the Skins when he was here last week? Were the Skins saying to themselves, "this guy is sooooo slowwww.

Right since an anchor looking for a juicy story on NFL Network said his knees are banged up it must be true, even though Kelly's doctor says otherwise.

Do you really expect his Dr. to say "Malcolm will probably have problems in his football career because his knees are screwed up"? And it isn't like one random anchor came out and said it. His knees have been a question mark for a while. The fact that he had surgery on one because of a ligament tear and the possibility of also having an arthritic problem.

And why don't you let him run on the same surface as the rest of the draft candidates before calling him slow? Ever heard of Anquan Boldin? He ran a dookie 40 and played in the pro-bowl his rookie year.

First of all the difference between speeds on astroturf and fieldturf are generally very small. Secondly, teams actually adjust times based on the surface. Third, since his fieldturf run he HAS run on a different surface...actually on a track which is generally faster than astroturf and he still ran about a 4.6 or a little over. The guy just isn't that fast. And why is it that whenever a guy runs slower than is anticipated Anquan Boldin's name comes out of the woodwork? Boldin is a major exception to the rule.

Not to mention, Kelly's big, has great hands and will take big hits and not drop the ball....which is EXACTLY what we need in a receiver, we already have our speed in Moss and ARE.

Yes, Kelly is those things. But I'd rather take a guy who is also big with great hands, doesn't have a temper tantrum and blame other people for his own shortcomings, and is ALSO fast.

Do you really expect his Dr. to say "Malcolm will probably have problems in his football career because his knees are screwed up"? And it isn't like one random anchor came out and said it. His knees have been a question mark for a while. The fact that he had surgery on one because of a ligament tear and the possibility of also having an arthritic problem.

His knees being a "question mark" is something that exists soley in sports media. Since football season is over and the draft isn't quite here yet, i.e. they need to find football stories somewhere.

First of all the difference between speeds on astroturf and fieldturf are generally very small. Secondly, teams actually adjust times based on the surface. Third, since his fieldturf run he HAS run on a different surface...actually on a track which is generally faster than astroturf and he still ran about a 4.6 or a little over. The guy just isn't that fast. And why is it that whenever a guy runs slower than is anticipated Anquan Boldin's name comes out of the woodwork? Boldin is a major exception to the rule.

Even if the difference in speeds on astroturf and fieldturf are "generally very small" a tenth of a second in difference means a lot to NFL scouts.

And since you are apparently lobbying for Sweed (who ran a 4.5 40), a tenth of a second is about all that separates them.

Yes, Kelly is those things. But I'd rather take a guy who is also big with great hands, doesn't have a temper tantrum and blame other people for his own shortcomings, and is ALSO fast.

I assume you are talking about Sweed.

^^---See my above comment about the speed factor, also Sweed isn't a good blocker and doesn't adjust to the jump ball well. Kelly does both of those things and is seen by most scouts as the perfect fit for the WCO we're going to be running.

Horrible idea... the only place Alexander can still excel at is on Pros vs Joes.

I, for one, would love to get a chance to tackle his feebly slow @ss.

He is lazy and content after he got paid.. since he stands to make a little above vet min now.. he will be even less enthused.

Let Dal have him

Kelly and Sweed are pretty close prospects, IMO. I think the offense OU ran would make Kelly better prepared for a West Coast offense. He's very physical.

I think Sweed has greater upside and is more of a gamebreaker. I think he can do the over the middle things, but perhaps not as adroit as Kelly.

I'd be happy with either, but I guess I'd prefer to use a second on Kelly because, sadly, Sweed probably won't slip into round two.

Oh, and trading Betts and signing Alexander is something written in the bathroom in the 9th level of Hell.

His knees being a "question mark" is something that exists soley in sports media. Since football season is over and the draft isn't quite here yet, i.e. they need to find football stories somewhere.

You really think NFL teams don't care about his knee injury or don't have interest in finding out if he really has an arthritic knee condition?

Even if the difference in speeds on astroturf and fieldturf are "generally very small" a tenth of a second in difference means a lot to NFL scouts.

And since you are apparently lobbying for Sweed (who ran a 4.5 40), a tenth of a second is about all that separates them.

As I stated, teams adjust for the surface they run on. As far as I know at the combine they do the 40 on fieldturf. If you want to compare apples to apples, then Sweed actually ran about 2 tenths of a second faster (Sweed on fieldturf ran high 4.4s, Kelly on fieldturf ran high 4.6s). Either way, as many scouts have said, Kelly's immature outburst at his school, etc is one of the reasons his stock is slipping so much, not so much his 40 time. Another factor is burst/jump ball ability/overall natural athleticism. Those can be measured by things like the 10 yard dash, broad jump, and vertical. Sweed had a better 10 yard dash, a vertical leap that was 5 1/2 inches higher than Kelly, and a broad jump that was a foot longer than Kelly's.

I assume you are talking about Sweed.

^^---See my above comment about the speed factor, also Sweed isn't a good blocker and doesn't adjust to the jump ball well. Kelly does both of those things and is seen by most scouts as the perfect fit for the WCO we're going to be running.

Yes I was talking about Sweed. Sweed is not a bad blocker. Is he an Anquan Boldin type blocker as a WR? No, but neither is Kelly and Sweed doesn't shy away from it or contact. As far as the jump ball thing...WHAT? That is one of the things that makes Sweed a great player. Have you watched him play? Scratch that, have you even compared highlights of him and Kelly? Sweed adjusts to the ball in the air very well. I think Kelly could be a very good receiver but I just see Sweed as more polished, athletic, and a much better attitude.

Right since an anchor looking for a juicy story on NFL Network said his knees are banged up it must be true, even though Kelly's doctor says otherwise.

And why don't you let him run on the same surface as the rest of the draft candidates before calling him slow? Ever heard of Anquan Boldin? He ran a dookie 40 and played in the pro-bowl his rookie year.

Not to mention, Kelly's big, has great hands and will take big hits and not drop the ball....which is EXACTLY what we need in a receiver, we already have our speed in Moss and ARE.

I think his agent was the one that said his knees were ok...wonder why huh??

also, 4.7 is super slow and as I said earlier in this thread Boldin is a thicker receiver...your not comparing apples to apples...his size is more comparable to a Randy Moss, oh but he is slow to boot...

and great to know that some games he will be quicker than others, well depending on which field he plays on...

Ok so we want to obtain a stand-out WR (Boldin, Williams, Johnson) Well how about we give away some draft picks - AND throw Betts in the mix. We then in turn sign Alexander (I really don't like him however talk about a 1-2 Punch) Betts tends to fumble quite frequently (Rams game comes to mind in St. Louis on Christmas Eve) and Alexander had lost 0 fumbles all season (correct me if I am wrong I am pretty sure and when I say lost I mean he fumbled but recovered) obviously he knows he is not going to start and here http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/former-nfl-mvp-alexander-out-of-a-job/20080422195409990001?icid=100214839x1200557514x1200020212 he says "I will be playing for another NFL team this fall, and doing everything I can to contribute," said Alexander. With that said he KNOWS he will just be a contributor. I say sign him, throw Betts into a trade scenario and get one of these WRS.

Alexander didn't paly enough last year to fumble some balls... since he was not tat fast no one was there to hit him hard... head on collison was not massive hence no fumble.... you never know he might end up here due to Zorn... but then who would want Betts????

WHAT? That is one of the things that makes Sweed a great player. Have you watched him play? Scratch that, have you even compared highlights of him and Kelly? Sweed adjusts to the ball in the air very well. I think Kelly could be a very good receiver but I just see Sweed as more polished, athletic, and a much better attitude.

Yes I've watched Sweed play, I've actually seen more of him than Kelly.

From Sweed's combine profile on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/limas-sweed?id=322

Possesses good quickness and change-of-direction agility, along with excellent leaping ability, but he must improve his timing competing for jump balls...

and:

Has good leaping ability, but shows poor timing and arm extension trying to battle for jump balls (left 20 of 39 passes thrown to him behind in 2007)...
Yes I was talking about Sweed. Sweed is not a bad blocker. Is he an Anquan Boldin type blocker as a WR? No, but neither is Kelly and Sweed doesn't shy away from it or contact. As far as the jump ball thing...

From Kelly's profile on the same site (regarding his blocking):

Aggressive cut blocker who won't back down and thrives when he gets the ball in pressure situations
Good position blocker to seal off and shows proper hand placement to sustain blocks.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/malcolm-kelly?id=1028

And to be fair to Sweed, Colt McCoy said this about him:

"I think he gets overlooked a lot because he's a great receiver -- he has such great hands," McCoy said. "When we have running plays, anytime we make a big play, it's because Limas is down there making a block."

And to be perfectly honest with you I'm not even really super pro-Kelly or super Anti-Sweed. In fact, I'll be happy if we take either of the two or even James Hardy with our first-round pick because I think this is the position that will make the most positive and immediate impact on our team more than any other.

And to be realistic, neither you nor I can predict which one will have the best NFL career, that's up to the scouts/front offices to figure out. But I'm sick of people buying into the media hype about all of the negatives concerning Kelly. It's the usual pre-draft garbage stories that get blown up because there's not much else to talk about (kind of like Adrian Peterson's injuries last year...and we know how he turned out).

Archived