Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riding Mowers

ClemsSC7Skinfan

I know it is the worst time of the year to buy one but I'm going to have to if I can't get my push mower working. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I would love to get one under 1k but you know how that goes now a days. If I buy one what is the best price range, I'm not going to go high end by any means, I've got a little over an acre to cut and it is all flat with hardly any obstacles. I need something basic just to get the job done then I'll touch up with the weed eater. Any good/bad experiences with one over another? Let me know. Should I buy just from someone who fixes them up instead and just save about 4-$500?

"Any good/bad experiences with one over another?"

yeah, I let my dingbat son use my brand new Craftsman. He ran it into a cinder block pump house and caved in the front cowling. Still runs, but looks like hell.

Under a grand??.....not sure if HD or Lowe's has many/any under 1K.

I just bought a Troy-Built Super Bronco from Lowes. W/ Bagger it was $1700

I wanted the Bronco (19hp $1100) but they didn't have it. And the Pony (17HP $999) had a Briggs and Stratton :puke:

Mine has a Kohler motor.

Basically, all of the mowers from Lowes are made by MTD and have different brand names stuck on them. Except Husqvarna I think. And the John Deere's they sell there aren't the same as the one's you get from a "real" JD dealer.

What's wrong with your pushmower?

I'm not sure exactly, I'm hoping I can get it running by the end of the weekend. Right now it just will not run, I've tried over and over to crank it, it has been sitting all winter but in a little storage shed (not heated but attached to the house - entrance only from outside the house). I'm going to change the spark plug and drain the old fuel out and put new in to see if any of that helps it but everything looked fine I dunno I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure exactly, I'm hoping I can get it running by the end of the weekend. Right now it just will not run, I've tried over and over to crank it, it has been sitting all winter but in a little storage shed (not heated but attached to the house - entrance only from outside the house). I'm going to change the spark plug and drain the old fuel out and put new in to see if any of that helps it but everything looked fine I dunno I guess we'll see.

I'll bet you a beer it's the carb. they get stuck rather easily. Do a quick google search and you can get instructions on how to fix it.

Put a little sea foam in the tank when you refill... be sure to use Stabil over the winter. (summer too, can't hurt)

if it ran when you put it in there, it'll run now.

you're on the right track.

and Zoony's right, Sta-bil is your friend

Check the classified and see if you can find a used snapper. The best way to go, service is easy and no matter how old it is the parts on a new one will fit the same one built 10 years ago. IMO the best riding lawn mower ever built. I bought a used one 7 years ago it was at least 7 years old when i bought it for $350. I can still pull two times and it will crank right up. Wal-Mart also sell one for about $900. I would try used first, if you are trying to save a few bucks.

Come on down south sometime, I'll let you push mow my acre + in mid-July. Bring Gatorade and a defribulator. Oh yah, I got hills too :)

What do you pay? When I was 15 I spent a summer mowing lawns, and I always got at least 10 bucks, so if you won't at least match that, no deal. :)

Clems, I hate to state the obvious, but since you didn't mention it -- you did pour a little gas in the carb, right? If not, try that. I bet you it starts.

yep, and replace the spark plug and before you put it in, dip the end in gas. Mowers are cantankerous buggers in the Spring. Hang in there, we'll get it going.

I have a low end Sears Craftsman and this thing is the bomb - cost me $950 in 2004 and its never let me down once. I have a medium sized yard and havent taken care of the mower the way I should have but It starts every time, no problem - huge cutting deck (42 in). Its a 2000LT model. I definitley recommend.

I still use my push mower for places I can't reach with the tractor.

I can't get it started though. When I hit the carb with a little starter fluid it runs for few seconds then quits. Otherwise it won't start. It has fresh gas too, since I emptied the tank in the fall.

Any thoughts?

Yeah it has the push button to fill the carb up with fuel and I've tried that, and it does have gas in it :)

I'll look up the carb cleaning idea though. I have been lazy about putting any stabil in it though, until now it has always started. It is approx 3 years old, cheap murray with briggs engine from Home Depot. I don't have a problem pushin a mower but with the yard being just over an acre now I would rather not have to spend 3-4 hours doing it because that is about a 6 pack then, plus I'll have to weed eat probably for another 30 or more minutes afterwards. The tips are good I appreciate that, I'll try to spend some time working on it Saturday and see if I can get something going.

Archived