Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're all going to die (dangers of plastic bottles)

TrumanB

I read about the leeching of chemicals from plastic bottles, especially from heat and sun exposure, a while back but didn't know the different codes and corresponding chemicals and whatnot on different bottles...

unfortunately, it's a pain in the *** to find a good source of water and likewise to transport it... probably the best way is to get a good filtration system and use glass to carry any water with you... obviously, not the most practical thing though...

there are things that are easy enough to do though like not leaving bottled water out in the sun... I'm sure it's common enough to do something like buy a case of water or a few gallons and then leave the water in the backseat of a car during the day and just takes a bit of thought and planning to avoid it...

I quit using plastic bottles a few months ago. I buy glass bottles of mineral water and then refill them with filtered water from our well. Another thing you should avoid is heating food on styrofoam plates.

Yes, there are dangers everywhere, and you can't avoid them all, but this is an easy one.

I quit using plastic bottles a few months ago. I buy glass bottles of mineral water and then refill them with filtered water from our well. Another thing you should avoid is heating food on styrofoam plates.

Yes, there are dangers everywhere, and you can't avoid them all, but this is an easy one.

Please tell me you didn't need someone to actually tell you that heating food on styrofoam plates was bad for you. :laugh:

It's easy enough to reduce your risks in this case, but I don't think it's easy to avoid this issue, period, at least not for everyone. For instance, it's more difficult for us non home-owners (I have an apartment) to get a filtration system set up.

Also, it's certainly not easy for many, if not most people to use glass to transport their drinking water with them, especially if they're drinking a lot of water each day. Depending on where you work, if you travel for business frequently, a ton of other variables, it is definitely not easy to transport drinking water with you in glass containers.

However, I will agree that it's easy to reduce risks associated with bottled water though you naturally can't control any risks of chemicals leeching from the bottles before they get in your hands (such as how bottled water is shipped and stored before you buy it).

Anyone know a good way to test the water to see if its safe? I have 5 separate one gallon containers that I refill at super market water stations. I have been using the same containers for months. I'd like to test them before I replace them to see what I've been drinking all this time. Too bad the tap water here sucks.

Archived