Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Satelite TV

GoCommiesGo

I had DirecTV at my last house but have Comcast now. I only switched to Comcast because of the internet, since I have no option for Fios or DSL where I live. DirecTV is great, affordable, and I never had a problem with their customer service by phone. Where I had the big problem with DirecTV was when there was a problem with the dish or equipment, it would often take a while to get someone out to my location at a time when i didn't have to take off of work, therefore I'd be without service for a few days. Comcast is sneaky with the rates, but you can definitely work with that. I talked them down to about $100 for internet, digital cable, HD service, 1 HD DVR, 1 regular DVR, and HBO/Showtime. They tried to raise the rates but I called and they kept it where they are. I also love the On Demand with Comcast. If you're willing to fight the fight to keep your rates where they are (which you can win, I assure you; if one person says no call again until someone puts your rate where you want it), I don't think Comcast is too bad of a way to go.

However, all of that assessment goes out the door if you're outside the DC area and need Sunday ticket to get the Skins games.

Direct tv is run by mostly contracters and if you ever have a problem you will be jerked along beyond belief. BUT they have the NFL ticket so I am stuck with them even though they don't even provide digiital quality for my locals :doh: So make sure you check for your area.

As for your bill how in the world is it 140 ? Does that include your internet as well maybe? All you need to do is talk to a supervisor at your cable company and they will cut your bill in half.

Direct tv is run by mostly contracters and if you ever have a problem you will be jerked along beyond belief. BUT they have the NFL ticket so I am stuck with them even though they don't even provide digiital quality for my locals :doh: So make sure you check for your area.

As for your bill how in the world is it 140 ? Does that include your internet as well maybe? All you need to do is talk to a supervisor at your cable company and they will cut your bill in half.

I had it at the apartment building I lived in before I bought my condo. When you rent a apartment you tend to get the district managers number for hookup instead of going to a call center and in turn normally get a better deal. I had the Internet, digital cable and HBO/Showtime. Then my rate jumped $50.00 to $140.00.

I don't have the patience nor the time to sit down and haggle with a customer service rep to get my rates down. I'd rather switch to FIOS but it's not an option at this time.

Thanks for all the responses I appreciate the information.

From previous discussions on this topic.

1. Verizon FIOS

2. Directv

3. Dish

4. Cable

Having read enough on this site over the years and having to deal with Directv, Comcast, Cox, and Verizon I have to say that no one has great customer service. However, Cable sits at the bottom. Directv and Verizon are not bad. Verizon FIOS was great in the beginning because Verizon put extra attention into customer service, but now they are back to business as usual.

If got rid of Cable years ago and went to Directv. I would never go back. If I ever leave my FIOS I would go back to Directv.

Lastly, they all raise their rates. I would look into Dish and Directv and see which fits your situation better. The NFL ticket is the only big reason to go Directv.

I went to DTV when we moved to S. Carolina. We have the basic plus, which gives us extra channels (Cartoon Network, VH1 Classic, Science, Military, etc) and we pay about $54 a month, not including Sunday Ticket. Other than the storms interrupting the signal every once in a while, I'll never go back to cable. I'm thinking of getting NHL Center Ice for next season. We have increased in price from $47 to $54 in 2 years and $4 of it was the increase of channels. So only a $3 increase in 2 years. I've seen alot of cable prices and there is NO WAY I'd pay that. I'd have to have basic if that is all I could have.

I pitty you my friend. Hopefully one day Verizon will bring Fios to your city/region.

Meh. It's fast enough what I use the 'net for.

If Fios was available I'd probably get it...it seems to be a slightly better deal that my current Dtv pkg anyway.

I have a legal Canadian Satelite TV now which sucks ass but that is more a reflection of th company who runs it rather than the service itself.

Before that I was stealing Direct TV sat. feed from my Upstate new Yorkers to the south and have to say that Direct TV is the best TV option I have ever seen. keep in mind I never paid for any programing, but had access to all chanels, even PPV for free.

The only thing I would watch out for and ask current Direct TV users about is a minimum contract length. My sat company suprised me when their tech came to the door and said before i signed the papers "you know its a minimum 2 year contract?" to which I later found out that even if I stop using the sat or move to place where the sat service is not available, I would still have to pay the minimum service charge of $39/mo for 2 years.

On a side note, has anyone ever used "over the air" sat recievers? One guy at work has one, and he says that it "steals" the signal from any sat provider. The drawbacks are that if your signal goes down you ahve to download a new "code" from the web and within 12 hours your TV is up and running again. I want to get one but still have over a year left on my existing sat plan.

Archived