Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who would win: Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr?

d0ublestr0ker0ll

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yep, another boxing/MMA debate. :doh: But this time, the fight could actually happen. Both RJJ and Anderson Silva have been in light discussions about making this happen. It would be a boxing match. And it might actually be good since Roy Jones has lost a step or two. We can all probably agree that Roy would win in his prime.

The president of the UFC is against letting Anderson go through with it, but fighters have been turning their back on him lately.

So instead of a streetfight debate, I pose to you the question at hand. You're a betting person, and you're putting a humbling amount on this fight. It will put a nice dent in your savings account if you lose, so you have to really analyze this matchup.

So let me help you:

Anderson "The Spider" Silva

Record: 21-4 (12 KO's, 4 submissions, 5 decisions)

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 185 lbs

Reach: 77.5 inches

UFC middleweight champion, Unified Pride welterweight champion, Cage Rage middleweight champion, Shooto middleweight champion. Considered best pound for pound fighter in the world. Considered one of the sharpest and deadliest strikers in the game. Boxing skills are one of the sharpest tools in his game. 7 fight winning streak since he lost by getting DQ'd for an illegal KO, he's hitting the peak of his career. Made an extremely heavy-handed Dan Henderson fold under lazer-guided striking. The UFC middleweight division is virtually hopeless. He tools with the top contenders, making them look like rookies. But when limited to a fistic art that limits everything you can do with mere fists, can he beat a past-his-prime legend?

Roy Jones Jr.

Record: 52-4 (38 KO's, 14 decisions)

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 175 lbs

Reach: 74 inches

Is (or was) WBC, NABO, WBA, IBF, IBO, NBA, WBF, and IBA light heavyweight champion. IBF middleweight, super middleweight, and light heavyweight champion. Also won WBA heavyweight belt. Known for superior quickness and knockout power, he has shown a sense of comfort in the ring rarely seen in the sport's history. Named "1990's fighter of the decade" by the Boxing Writers Association of America, Jones hit a stalling-point in 2004 when he had his rematch with Antonio Tarver. After losing the fight, he lost twice more, making the boxing community largely convinced he was done. He came back to win 3 fights in a row since his losing streak, but all by decision. Although, he did score 2 knockdowns on a past-his-prime Felix Trinidad 3 months ago. Does he still have enough to beat the best martial artist in the world in a boxing match?

I voted for Silva before I read the whole post and realized it was a boxing match. I don't know now...without being able to kick or ground fight, I think Jones might be able to win this thing. Boxers are generally very good st striking and it's all they practice. Let us know if the fight actually gets made.

You can't beat someone in their own game. Jones would get killed in a MMA fight and Silva in a boxing match. If they met halfway and it was kickboxing then it would be a totally different fight.

You really think Silva would get killed? Maybe 10 years ago, but right now the guy is going on all cylanders. Are you saying Jones would beat Silva even in his upper 50's? Jones' skills are waining, some say he's a shell of what he used to be.

Roy Jones is pure garbage now. If this was 10 years ago I dont even know if any man could beat Roy at boxing, but now he isnt even worthy of a PPV card. Silva could and would smash him.

Jones isn't garbage. really the only part of his game that has gone down is his speed. that said, in a pure boxing match he would walk through Silva. Silva is my favorite fighter in any sport right now, but he would be lucky to go the distance against Roy right now.

comparing boxing and mma is really not worth the comparison because of how different they are. each would destroy the other in their prospective sports.

this fight will never happen even if Silva and Jones agree to it because Dana White would never allow Silva to take that fight.

Jones isn't garbage. really the only part of his game that has gone down is his speed. that said, in a pure boxing match he would walk through Silva. Silva is my favorite fighter in any sport right now, but he would be lucky to go the distance against Roy right now.

comparing boxing and mma is really not worth the comparison because of how different they are. each would destroy the other in their prospective sports.

this fight will never happen even if Silva and Jones agree to it because Dana White would never allow Silva to take that fight.

Since when does everyone in the UFC listen to Dana? You know when Anderson contract is up?

Jones has lost more than speed. He lost that killer instinct, that mean, firey look. Call it a lack of confidence. You saw it come back a little in the Trinidad fight, but Trinidad was in the highest weight class he's ever fought in. He was outmatched, and even more passed his prime than Roy.

And comparing boxing to MMA is plausable. Boxing is a martial art, it's part of the "mix" in Mixed Martial Arts. Anderson has a great muay thai, his striking is phenominal. His hands do the setting up and the finishing a lot of the times.

It could be a Bo Jackson factor where this superior athlete could accel in two sports. Except boxing and MMA are much more alike than baseball and football.

Since when does everyone in the UFC listen to Dana? You know when Anderson contract is up?

Jones has lost more than speed. He lost that killer instinct, that mean, firey look. Call it a lack of confidence. You saw it come back a little in the Trinidad fight, but Trinidad was in the highest weight class he's ever fought in. He was outmatched, and even more passed his prime than Roy.

And comparing boxing to MMA is plausable. Boxing is a martial art, it's part of the "mix" in Mixed Martial Arts. Anderson has a great muay thai, his striking is phenominal. His hands do the setting up and the finishing a lot of the times.

It could be a Bo Jackson factor where this superior athlete could accel in two sports. Except boxing and MMA are much more alike than baseball and football.

the comparison ceases to exist the moment Silva said he wanted to face Jonesin a BOXING match. Jones has spent his entire life training strictly his hands and how to avoid punches. Silva has spent his life cross-training several disciplines making him the more deadly fighter, but not boxer.

Silva is 1-1 in professional boxing matches, if any other boxer with a 1-1 record faced RJJ, people would laugh at the thought. even a past his prime RJJ will destroy prime Silva in a straight boxing match

the comparison ceases to exist the moment Silva said he wanted to face Jonesin a BOXING match. Jones has spent his entire life training strictly his hands and how to avoid punches. Silva has spent his life cross-training several disciplines making him the more deadly fighter, but not boxer.

Silva is 1-1 in professional boxing matches, if any other boxer with a 1-1 record faced RJJ, people would laugh at the thought. even a past his prime RJJ will destroy prime Silva in a straight boxing match

You can't just compare Anderson to amature boxers with 1-1 records. He's not your typical beginner. He's had to worry about cross-trained fighters too. Fists, knees, kicks. Now you tell him he only has to worry about 2 fists? With 8 ounce gloves to boot? I believe RJJ has lost some pop to those hooks, too. I believe it would be a much better fight than people blow it off for.

You can't just compare Anderson to amature boxers with 1-1 records. He's not your typical beginner. He's had to worry about cross-trained fighters too. Fists, knees, kicks. Now you tell him he only has to worry about 2 fists? With 8 ounce gloves to boot? I believe RJJ has lost some pop to those hooks, too. I believe it would be a much better fight than people blow it off for.

i agree he's not your typical beginner, but Roy has been BOXING all his life and is a great technician. i would give Silva more of a chance if he was facing a brawler with not much boxing technique, but Roy is the opposite. at the very least, Roy would win 10 of 12rds against Silva in a boxing match.

It's hard to accurately judge Silva's boxing ability against MMA fighters. In MMA you have to be aware of knees, takedowns, elbows, kicks or whatever else a fighter can throw at you. Fake a kick, fighter drops his hands and opens himself for a punch. It's a totally different game and it's what makes Silva so damn dangerous. He's so versatile you have to be ready for anything and everything. Roy wouldn't have this problem, all he'd have to worry about is his fists and with roys DECADES of experience I think he'd come out on top. MMA fighters aren't known for not getting hit, Roy ain't gonna stand in there and let someone tee off on his ass.

Roy by decision.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Roy Jones would run circles around Spidey in the boxing ring.

Roy now is faster than Spidey ever was, and back in the 90's Roy was pretty much God with gloves on.

Roy has superiour speed, both in his hands and his feet, compared to Spidey.

Spidey is not a one punch artist without his knees and feet. He can combo you, but his combos will not be the same with gloves on.

And Roy isn't the type to be taking hits at all, let alone take combos.

Roy would lose in the first round of a UFC fight.

Gotta love Chuck, but Bruce Lee owned him.

bruce%20lee%20beats%20up%20chuck%20norris.jpg

The difference between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris can easily be seen in this picture.

Look at Bruce's body compared Chucks.

And if you have seen this clip you would see just how much faster Bruce was.

Isn't there someone out there with the speed and power that bruce had?

Roy now is faster than Spidey ever was, and back in the 90's Roy was pretty much God with gloves on.

Spidey is not a one punch artist without his knees and feet. He can combo you, but his combos will not be the same with gloves on.

:applause: That's what I'm saying.

You can't compare MMA fighters to someone like Roy Jones when it comes to footwork, head movement and punching combos. It's like comparing Scott Brunell and Mike Vick in regards to ability to move in the pocket. All you hear about is Silva's striking accuracy. Well no freaking **** Sherlock, he's throwing punches against guys with little to no head movement who are in constant fear of getting a knee or foot to the head as well as worrying about a guys fist. It would be pretty interesting to see just how accurate Silva is against a true boxer.

:applause: That's what I'm saying.

You can't compare MMA fighters to someone like Roy Jones when it comes to footwork, head movement and punching combos. It's like comparing Scott Brunell and Mike Vick in regards to ability to move in the pocket. All you hear about is Silva's striking accuracy. Well no freaking **** Sherlock, he's throwing punches against guys with little to no head movement who are in constant fear of getting a knee or foot to the head as well as worrying about a guys fist. It would be pretty interesting to see just how accurate Silva is against a true boxer.

I'm of the belief that Anderson will be able to adjust his style to what the fight asks for. The guy has mastered so many fascets of the fight game, and will be able to give Roy a fight by adjusting to what it asks for. I see Anderson cutting off the center of the ring and being able to stun RJJ. Boxing isn't all about 1 punch KO power. It will take one of Anderson's long, fast straights to daze Jones, which will set up that inpenatrable killer instinct. And if you want to talk about head movement, peep at Anderson's juke-fest against Rich Franklin, who was throwing more than just fists. Anderson has a reach and height advantage, along with the fact that Roy would have to move up to 185. Those 10 pounds can add a little molassis to the joints at 39 years old. All in all, I don't think the fight would go for that long. Anderson would be too instinctually hungry to fight Roy's game any more than he has to. Bunch of decisions lately for RJJ, Anderson will probably try to surprise him and take him out of his comfort zone. I see the fight going sour for Anderson if it goes far. It's also a possibility Anderson forgets where he is and throws a knee to the jaw, or puts him in a triangle. :laugh:

Archived