Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about the "D"?

Est.1932

All this talk about the O and what Zorn is up to (West Coast this and that), but what about the D? Do you think Blache can keep our D in the top 10? I know we will have to see, but what are your impressions of how our D will hold up...

Observation:

He was the coach of the D-Line which has come under fire by most of us, hummm...

Good luck Blache, I hope you can manage to elevate our D!

Defensive Line was a need postion last year and it was not addressed. That position is again high on the priority list.

The "D" will be fine under Blache based on how we address that position and few other need positions on that side of the ball.

If we somehow miss out on a good young pass rusher (or 2) again this year... our "D" will drop to the bottom third of the league and someone is going to have some serious explaining to do. :2cents:

expect more of the same, similar philosophies, if not almost identical... if we can field a healthy backfield and a legit passrush opposite carter, a top 10 D...

my prediction is we will roll with our current LB corps (long as word from macintosh is promising) and our CBs, unless a graded player falls to us, with help opposite carter heading our way... I would imagine blache wants a DE that would give carter a shot at being a real DE and a safety that could fit into a cover 2... (I root for reed but he ain't a cover 2 safety)...

just my 2c...

I don't know. Our D was inconsistent last year. We had a potent pass rush at times, a pathetic one at others. Same with pass coverage, run D, etc. I probably wouldn't be all that concerned, but the injuries to Rocky, Carlos, and the fact that Springs, Griffin, Daniels, and Fletcher are all another year older are worrisome.

We don't need Williams to field the same results. It's all about the chemistry. The core group of guys who know only one way to play defense, together. Some who have been here are entering their 5th year. That's where I draw my confidence.

My gut feeling is the D scares me more than the O. I'm just not sold on Blache and to be honest he scares me a little. Zorn is an unknown quantity, but for some reason I'm optimistic about him.

No worries mate. We have continuity on defense.

If you want to worry about anything, worry about our special teams, mainly the punter and who is going to return punts. :whoknows:

No worries mate. We have continuity on defense.

If you want to worry about anything, worry about our special teams, mainly the punter and who is going to return punts. :whoknows:

i really dont want to see ARE returning punts this year :doh:

One thing I like about our D is that they were very good last year and every starters will be back in 08. They will be used to play together. Same thing with the Offense, they're like brothers now with everything they've been through last year. Bringing everybody back is a very good point.

I beg to differ, but it depends on how you define very. There are more than enough examples to go around, so I’ll just grab one: Philly comes to mind at FEDEX. To help fix some of those weaknesses that still exist, Hall would have locked us in if we could have acquired. But we're getting better as a F/O as a lot of members have pointed out. It just hurts when there subtleties of what could have been...a play here, a play there, an in game decision here or adjustment there this is why coaching is so crucial. It allows you to see and voice or rather give instructions to what players can't see because there on the field.

My thoughts are also differed by more examples that and as I think about stuff, all the dumb stuff that impeded significant progress last year. Look at the debacle in our playoff game with the Seahawks at Seattle (twice too 05 and 08), #24 was taken to school twice (look at the film) you also have the Giants at FEDEX Rogers and his mistakes, Dallas at Dallas, #24 again for the most part….

Buffalo, is another one, at FEDEX and Green Bay at Green Bay was also one that got away. You can pretty much pick any moment / game when we needed it the most there were just let downs—especially on the corner.

I really wonder what in the world would allow an assistant coach to let his HC call back to back time outs to freeze a field goal kicker and literally give the game away. And what goes through a CBs mind when he lets a high priority target run by him not once but twice. Jerry Grey lambasted him #24 the second time but hell it’s too late after he (T.O.) scored like 3 TDs. I tell you its painful watching this stuff unfold...No one person doesn't make the "D" but if a psosition is exploited it can hur it. Oh we had our moments but teams that didn't make the playoffs did too. So no "D" needs work--a lot.

The expectation is things will be just like when GW was here. The entire core of our running defense is still here(DT's, Fletcher), so thats not a concern. What we do need to do is see a better passing defense, and frankly, that starts with pressure on the QB. If we can do that not only will we allow less points on D, but more importantly, we can force more turnovers and help our offense out. Id take a 20th ranked defense that forces 50 turnovers over a 5th ranked defense that forces 20 anyday.

I beg to differ, but it depends on how you define very. There are more than enough examples to go around, so I’ll just grab one: Philly comes to mind at FEDEX. To help fix some of those weaknesses that still exist, Hall would have locked us in if we could have acquired. But we're getting better as a F/O as a lot of members have pointed out. It just hurts when there subtleties of what could have been...a play here, a play there, an in game decision here or adjustment there this is why coaching is so crucial. It allows you to see and voice or rather give instructions to what players can't see because there on the field.

My thoughts are also differed by more examples that and as I think about stuff, all the dumb stuff that impeded significant progress last year. Look at the debacle in our playoff game with the Seahawks at Seattle (twice too 05 and 08), #24 was taken to school twice (look at the film) you also have the Giants at FEDEX Rogers and his mistakes, Dallas at Dallas, #24 again for the most part….

Buffalo, is another one, at FEDEX and Green Bay at Green Bay was also one that got away. You can pretty much pick any moment / game when we needed it the most there were just let downs—especially on the corner.

I really wonder what in the world would allow an assistant coach to let his HC call back to back time outs to freeze a field goal kicker and literally give the game away. And what goes through a CBs mind when he lets a high priority target run by him not once but twice. Jerry Grey lambasted him #24 the second time but hell it’s too late after he (T.O.) scored like 3 TDs. I tell you its painful watching this stuff unfold...No one person doesn't make the "D" but if a psosition is exploited it can hur it. Oh we had our moments but teams that didn't make the playoffs did too. So no "D" needs work--a lot.

-All secondaries make mistakes, its how teams score touchdowns. You also neglect to mention that our secondary had its fair share of injuries. We will be just fine when Los returns, as for your fascination with Hall, I don't understand why someone who gets 1 more int, 4 more pass def, and 4 more tackles is so superior to Springs, especially considering the guy is a headache. We will draft a cb to groom and be just fine, as we are every year on D.

I personally would like to see further wrinkles being made into this defense. History and scheme wise indicates I might not get my wish under Greg Blache. I think we will see alot of Cover-2.

I personally would like to see Coach Blache bring Mr. Landry in the box a little more and allow him to blitz from that side of the field. I think one of Laron's key attributes when being drafted by this team was how dangerous he was at attacking the backfield. Because of the tragic death of Sean I think Coach Williams last year was a little scared of keeping him towards the LOS, which was certainly understandable.

I realize Doughtery did a sufficient job when his number was called after Sean's death, and he actaully played in the box rather well. But, I would like to see Laron blitzing a little more this season off the edge and up the middle. This will allow for further one on one matchups on teh outside for the DE's.

Williams used to have a very unpredictable Defense. In year 3 it stopped working and it too until the off season to change it around. Last year was okay statistically but there are definite weaknesses - no pass rush, and no depth at almost every position.

Skins should be okay if they don't have any injuries. I hope Blache is able to make adjustments better than Williams and he gets a new influx of Dline talent as he's requested. If he doesn't get more talent on the Dline, I don't think we can blame him if the D falters.

We've still got Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, London Fletcher, Andre Carter, Rocky McIntosh (when he gets healed up), H.B. Blades (showed promise), Fred Smoot and LaRon Mother F***ing Landry! We have some really great players on the defensive side of the ball and we will probablt add some decent players in the draft as well. Blache knows what he is doing and it's not like he's never ran a defense before. Besides, didn't someone say the other day that he called like 60% of the defensive plays last season?

Archived