Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Survey: Some Florida teens are extremely stupid

China

pregnancy

but still what does that have to do with trying to teach kids sexual responsibility versus tellin them it is bad to have the most pleasurable fun time they have ever experienced and not to do it?

No!

It was the fact that she was an adultress with Chillingworth dude. C'mon--freshen up on your Hawthorne guy!

My response was to the fact that kids are "raped" with images of sex, which is a very Puritantical view of America and would fit in...

wait for it...

wait for it...

at the time that the Scarlet Letter is set!

Hooray!

I agree that we teach our children to abstain - like you, I did it too with success. We don't want our children to have children. However, the use of contraception is not always reliable and an unplanned pregnancy occurs.

I simply don't agree with so-called experts on the subject. By using various methods other than abstinence-only teaching, we are subjecting our children to taking a chance. We're also encourging them that it is acceptable to engage in sex outside of marriage. That is not the responsibility of a school, but the parent(s).

I'll be back later this evening - got plans for supper and need to go. Thanks for the discussion.

on this i mostly agree except some parents cant or wont talk to their kids so someone has to do it.

No!

It was the fact that she was an adultress with Chillingworth dude. C'mon--freshen up on your Hawthorne guy!

My response was to the fact that kids are "raped" with images of sex, which is a very Puritantical view of America and would fit in...

wait for it...

wait for it...

at the time that the Scarlet Letter is set!

Hooray!

ok so we are in agreemnt?

yeah i havent read that since the 6th grade maybe i should read it again

Teaching contraception does not mean it will be used either,in fact aren't the results about the same in studies?

I believe that abstinence only programs also include the basics of contraception options...Anyone know for sure???

Teaching the risks and personal worth and responsibility were my chosen method,which seemed to work well. :whoknows:

When I was going to school, the teachers were prohibited from teaching about contraception (well, they were allowed to acknowledge its existence.) That was at a public school.

They were, however, allowed to show that horrendous slideshow with pictures of genitals riddled with STDs. Now if that doesn't work, nothing will.

Teaching contraception does not mean it will be used either,in fact aren't the results about the same in studies?

I believe that abstinence only programs also include the basics of contraception options...Anyone know for sure???

Teaching the risks and personal worth and responsibility were my chosen method,which seemed to work well. :whoknows:

same here and so far so good

my boy is 16 and my girl is 10

got a ways to go but i have faith in them

give them the tools and hope you have taught them well

Predicto. If teens use abstinence, how often is it successful in preventing a pregnancy?

Heading out for supper. I look forward to seeing your reply when I return.

Well, I never got anyone pregnant by masturbating into a dish towel. Perhaps we could teach that method.

Don't know if we are in agreement, but I don't share your view that our kids "are raped" from the time they are children with images of sex. Of violence maybe, but not sex.

But teaching absitence is hogwash IMO. Teach kids the risks and the huge costs of an unintended, irrevocable (in some states/trimesters) pregnancy. Let the kids make an informed decision.

To sum up: Kids are horny. Deal with it. Responsibly.

Predicto--I'm printing that, do you think you'll be able to fit it on your bumper, or will it be covering up too much of your "Impeach Bush" stickers?

Predicto. If teens use abstinence, how often is it successful in preventing a pregnancy?

How often do they "use" it though guy?

Heading out to encourage some teenagers to have sex, I look forward to seeing your reply upon my return.

When I was going to school, the teachers were prohibited from teaching about contraception (well, they were allowed to acknowledge its existence.) That was at a public school.

They were, however, allowed to show that horrendous slideshow with pictures of genitals riddled with STDs. Now if that doesn't work, nothing will.

They could not mention condom use at all?...where did you go to school?

Then why have I heard complaints that they misstate the failure rates ect?

I believe in teaching both,with heavy emphasis on abstinence as the only sure fire method.

Here's my reply. You are asking a loaded and useless question.

The real question is whether providing abstinence-only education in fact leads to the result that teens actually refrain from sex.

Otherwise it's just a bumper sticker.

Well, you have to abstain from sex until you are legally married, then you will find out how to hit the target consistently with your spouse via communication :silly:

I assume you were j/k, so I responded in kind.

I no longer want to sign up for your sex ed course... and I was j/k.

I couldn't agree with you more that teaching abstinence only is just unrealistic and in my opinion counter productive. But- the fact is lad's don't get pregnant and I just don't see a correlation between sex ed and rape.

I'm pro choice and think I'm pretty liberal minded, but the girls DO have more reproductive responsibilty than men- via the fact that girls are the ones that get pregnant. So- I guess I'm saying it's more important for women to be taught sex ed. And, before you label me a complete pig, I'm not saying it's not important for both the lads and chickees to be taught responsible sex, I'm just saying there are less severe consequences for the men. And, at that age- both genders are shopping.

And, as far as Sex ed and rape... I think you are taking a pretty big leap. I doubt there a statistical increase in the amount sexual assaults between kids who are taught abstinence only verse kids who are taught sex ed.

To sum up: Kids are horny. Deal with it. Responsibly.

Predicto--I'm printing that, do you think you'll be able to fit it on your bumper, or will it be covering up too much of your "Impeach Bush" stickers?

It will fit. The only bumper sticker I have now is a Redskins one. :cheers:

ps - I have repeatedly argued AGAINST efforts to impeach the President, though I definitely am no fan of his.

It will fit. The only bumper sticker I have now is a Redskins one. :cheers:

ps - I have repeatedly argued AGAINST efforts to impeach the President, though I definitely am no fan of his.

You don't strike me as a bumper sticker kind of guy, and the "Impeach Bush" was the first thing that came to mind given your Dem leanings--I was trying to be funny. Oh well! :)

They could not mention condom use at all?...where did you go to school?

Then why have I heard complaints that they misstate the failure rates ect?

I believe in teaching both,with heavy emphasis on abstinence as the only sure fire method.

No, they could mention condom use, they just weren't allowed to discuss them in a way that went against the "abstinence only" stance, their effectiveness, etc. Schools are different, though. I went to school in Southern Maryland, the policies probably very county to county.

I really wish it didn't have to be taught in school. That parents would be responsible enough to teach their kids responsibility.

But, really, I think the STD slideshow is really effective.

I no longer want to sign up for your sex ed course... and I was j/k.

I couldn't agree with you more that teaching abstinence only is just unrealistic and in my opinion counter productive. But- the fact is lad's don't get pregnant and I just don't see a correlation between sex ed and rape.

I'm pro choice and think I'm pretty liberal minded, but the girls DO have more reproductive responsibilty than men- via the fact that girls are the ones that get pregnant. So- I guess I'm saying it's more important for women to be taught sex ed. And, before you label me a complete pig, I'm not saying it's not important for both the lads and chickees to be taught responsible sex, I'm just saying there are less severe consequences for the men. And, at that age- both genders are shopping.

And, as far as Sex ed and rape... I think you are taking a pretty big leap. I doubt there a statistical increase in the amount sexual assaults between kids who are taught abstinence only verse kids who are taught sex ed.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to connect those dots. I was simply pointing out that culturally, males apply the greater majority of the pessure to "do the deed", and have the extreme lighter side of consequences. So we are in agreement there.

The non-consensual sex rate probably goes up during abstinence only, and therefore I would assume that the pregnancy or "dealing with other consequences" for women goes up as well. When both sides have all the information, I think more "hormone relief valves are open/available", and the consequences have an improved opportunity to be not as traumatic.

No, they could mention condom use, they just weren't allowed to discuss them in a way that went against the "abstinence only" stance, their effectiveness, etc. Schools are different, though. I went to school in Southern Maryland, the policies probably very county to county.

I really wish it didn't have to be taught in school. That parents would be responsible enough to teach their kids responsibility.

But, really, I think the STD slideshow is really effective.

I would wager that more kids learn from school as opposed to parents. I'm not sure where they pick up the bleach/mountain dew method, however.

The non-consensual sex rate probably goes up during abstinence only, and therefore I would assume that the pregnancy or "dealing with other consequences" for women goes up as well. When both sides have all the information, I think more "hormone relief valves are open/available", and the consequences have an improved opportunity to be not as traumatic.

I doubt the non-consensual sex/rape rate goes up during abstinence only. I'm not trying to be contrary, I just don't see the logic. And, furthermore- I don't see the increase in pregnancies or STD's has anything to do with non-consensual sex. I see the increase in STD's and pregnancy going up because kids, more importantly girls may not understand their best option for contraception. For example, choosing the rythem method at the wrong time, or not understanding the pill doesn't prevent STD's, or for the less bright kids drinking bleach.

And, furthermore... Am I really having a conversaton about sex ed. Hey Guys- I'm a not chick... really!

I would wager that more kids learn from school as opposed to parents. I'm not sure where they pick up the bleach/mountain dew method, however.

That's why I said I wish it didn't have to be taught in school.

But, as Dictator said, we shouldn't disavow the bleach method.

I doubt the non-consensual sex/rape rate goes up during abstinence only. I'm not trying to be contrary, I just don't see the logic. And, furthermore- I don't see the increase in pregnancies or STD's has anything to do with non-consensual sex. I see the increase in STD's and pregnancy going up because kids, more importantly girls may not understand their best option for contraception. For example, choosing the rythem method at the wrong time, or not understanding the pill doesn't prevent STD's, or for the less bright kids drinking bleach.

And, furthermore... Am I really having a conversaton about sex ed. Hey Guys- I'm a not chick... really!

I am using the observation that when something is forbidden, it happens more frequently and forcefully. Examples include The Forbidden Fruit, Prohibition, and the War on Drugs. I know those are not exactly apples to apples, but the concept to me is the same.:laugh:

As to the increase in pregnancies or STDs as regards to non-consensual sex, the linkage is somewhat simpler. No one has any idea of their partners virility, vulnerability, or STD status - and I feel confident to say that there isn't a big question and answer session to get those facts after the event either.

Might be a stretch, but that's how I am thinking about this.

Okay, I was at work earlier. Now I can say something about this.

First of all, I grew up in Virginia, so it's not just in Florida.

I heard the whole Mountain Dew/Yellow 5 rumor as a young teenager, and unless it's changed, the article seems to have it wrong.

The rumor I heard didn't have much to do with preventing pregnancy. It was said that Mountain Dew/Yellow 5 not only killed your sperm, but also made your testicles shrivel up and die. This rumor actually made me and some others avoid Mountain Dew and yellow candies due to the fear of our penii falling off.

Yes, I was young and dumb, and it has, of course, been proven wrong.

Archived