Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stump Sees 1,800 Yds For Clinton Portis in 2008....

[S.S.F. | Nero]

Expanded Role??? CP led the league in carries last year and only had 1200+ yards. How do we expand his role? Give him the ball every single down?

I dunno guys the weight has been on his shoulders the last 4 years to equal 31-36 record. So what is going to change?

Expanded Role??? CP led the league in carries last year and only had 1200+ yards. How do we expand his role? Give him the ball every single down?

I dunno guys the weight has been on his shoulders the last 4 years to equal 31-36 record. So what is going to change?

Hopefully with more emphasis on the pass game it will mean less men in the box and more running lanes for CP. The team is something like 20-4 (don't have the exact number but it's around this) when CP rushes for over 100 yards.

The only problem in 2007 was it was hard for CP to get 100 yards each game when every D knows the only chance at real yards will come from the left side. CP may have had the most carries, but he was also the only RB to lose entire side of his O-line essentially and still put up over 1000 yards. The fact CP could carry the ball that many times when he isn't one of the big frame RBs is a testament to how good he is, not how bad he is.

I don't understand the optimism if we're not changing our blocking schemes.

What would change? The linemen up front? Portis' running style?

Great to hear but I'd like to see them expand upon the schemes, because they didn't seem all that efficient. The YPC were too low.

Because the blocking schemes may be the same, but the offense will change. What I mean by that is they will be spreading people out. No more max 1 WR and running the ball. Spreading the offense out will open more lanes for him, even if the blocking scheme is the same.

OK, I see that. But he sure isnt going to say, "Man CP is just struggling out there. We'll be lucky if he gets 800 yards."

I just take predictions for what they are to me, wishes and hopes.

Of-course he wouldnt say that, because thats not CP.

Anyway, I have recently stated my opinion that I dont think Gibbs got full potential out of his players. Portis is probably the best example of that. Portis isnt the prototypical back for a Gibbs style offense. CP is much better suited for the WCO. Having a passing threat, a legit passing threat, should give Portis massive room to run. If our Oline stays healthy, Portis should be able to compete for a personal best season. It wouldnt hurt if Campbell steps up a bit, too.

I predicted big things for CP when we hired Al Saunders. I still believe if Gibbs would have let him run Saunders offense, we would have been much better on offense.

It's nice finally having a coaching staff that is going to use the strengths of our players, instead of forcing them into the wrong-shaped pegs.

_______----Yeah surely losing three fifths of a starting line would not change your schemes at all (TIC)

thats what the blurb said, an 1800 yd back, nothing bout 1800 rushing yds

I think he meant 1800 Rushing yards. Portis had like 1650 combined yards last year, Predicting an extra 9 yards a game isn't asking for much more production.

_______----Yeah surely losing three fifths of a starting line would not change your schemes at all (TIC)

I'm talking about 4 years of poor coaching that did not maximize our offensive talent. I'm talking about philosophy and intent behind general schemes, not adjustments to injuries.

Hopefully with more emphasis on the pass game it will mean less men in the box and more running lanes for CP. The team is something like 20-4 (don't have the exact number but it's around this) when CP rushes for over 100 yards.

The only problem in 2007 was it was hard for CP to get 100 yards each game when every D knows the only chance at real yards will come from the left side. CP may have had the most carries, but he was also the only RB to lose entire side of his O-line essentially and still put up over 1000 yards. The fact CP could carry the ball that many times when he isn't one of the big frame RBs is a testament to how good he is, not how bad he is.

With our wide receivers being Moss, Thrash, ARE, Mix, and McMullen, why exactly will opposing defenses stop stacking the box? That group of receivers isn't going to scare anyone.

With our wide receivers being Moss, Thrash, ARE, Mix, and McMullen, why exactly will opposing defenses stop stacking the box? That group of receivers isn't going to scare anyone.

Moss, ARE, and COOLEY (don't you dare forget him!) are enough to scare any defense out of stacking the box.

']After studying Clinton Portis on tape during the offseason' date=' Redskins coach [b']Jim Zorn[/b] is preparing the seven-year vet for a bigger role in the offense.

Dear Jim Zorn,

CP has been carrying this team for the last 4 years and doesn't need a more increased or expanded role, he needs a more effective role to bring him back into the home run hitter he once was.

You worry about getting the ball down the field, passing the ball on 1st down and converting 3rd and longs and you will be better off.

I can see that and it makes me happy to see this coaching staff looking for ways to play to the strengths of the individual player and not being so fixated on 'forcing' them to adhere to their particular scheme or style all the time. Ditto that with Betts - give that man the ball in space too.

I love the fact that CP is only turning 27 this fall and has at least 2-3 more very productive years left if he can avoid major injury. I think the west coast flavor of offense is exactly what Portis needs. Add in the zone blocking/stretch scheme he was successful with previously, particularly in Denver, and I think he should only be a more dynamic player particularly if he is in excellent health at training camp. I still wouldn't mind him sitting on the sideline in preseason and taking less hits in training camp. He is one player who has carried this team in the past and he deserves a break.

Wait a minute...Is 1800 total yards eclipsing something that CP hasn't been close to accomplishing before? Hell he had 1651 last year. Is increasing his yards by 150 a year that much different?

The real question is whether or not there will be a bigger tweak in the difference in his rushing yards vs. his receiving yards.

Take a look at the stats..

http://www.nfl.com/players/clintonportis/profile?id=POR792942'

Since CP got here, he's gone:

2007: 1651 total yards

2006: Injured; only played 8 games

2005: 1732 total yards

2004: 1550 total yards

Wait a minute...Is 1800 total yards eclipsing something that CP hasn't been close to accomplishing before? Hell he had 1651 last year. Is increasing his yards by 150 a year that much different?

The real question is whether or not there will be a bigger tweak in the difference in his rushing yards vs. his receiving yards.

Take a look at the stats..

http://www.nfl.com/players/clintonportis/profile?id=POR792942'

Since CP got here, he's gone:

2007: 1651 total yards

2006: Injured; only played 8 games

2005: 1732 total yards

2004: 1550 total yards

True!

We should be hoping for a 2000 yard season. I think he can pull this off if he is more the focus. I think he will have better run options for his style. More open space and less pounding. Also with the receiving he can make big things happen.

COME ON STUMP GET US 2000!!

True!

We should be hoping for a 2000 yard season. I think he can pull this off if he is more the focus. I think he will have better run options for his style. More open space and less pounding. Also with the receiving he can make big things happen.

COME ON STUMP GET US 2000!!

I felt this way when Saunders got here, but this is assuming perfect health with a less than minimal role for Betts. We need Betts to help keep Portis healthy later in the season. He started taking over games late in the season this year as part of the 4 game stretch. I would like to see something similar next year.

Archived