Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stump Sees 1,800 Yds For Clinton Portis in 2008....

[S.S.F. | Nero]

Found this little blurb.

I'm liking how things are looking leading into the draft....

New role for Portis

After studying Clinton Portis on tape during the offseason, Redskins coach Jim Zorn is preparing the seven-year vet for a bigger role in the offense.

Portis, who finished sixth in the league in rushing with 1,262 yards, is spending his offseason training at the team's complex. "We think that he can be a 1,800-yard back this season," assistant head coach/running backs Stump Mitchell said. "Running behind that offensive line, he should average four-and-a-half to five yards per carry."

The Redskins are keeping their blocking schemes intact and believe that continuity will allow Portis to thrive as their feature back. Furthermore, the Redskins are contemplating expanding Portis' role as a receiver after the vet hauled in a career-high 47 passes last season.

"We know that he was productive as a receiver last season, but most of his receptions were of the 'check-down' variety," Mitchell said. "We will see how he runs routes during mini-camps and O.T.As (Organized Team Activities) and determine if we can make him a bigger part of the passing game. He is a complete player with an unbelievable set of skills and we must find a way to maximize his talent."

hell ya they think that. honestly they might as well say 2500 yards and 19-0. predictions only serve to pump people up and actually carry no weight.

but heres to CP!!

I partially disagree.

When predictions come from you or I, you're right, they carry little to no weight.

But when they come from the guy that coached Shaun Alexander during his prime, it does retain validity and merit, even in March.

Something tells me that John Gruden isn't saying "I think Cadillac, or Warrick Dunn, or Michael Pittman, or Earnest Graham can be an 1,800 yd back."

Hell, they'd be lucky to combine for 1,500 yds.

This is a good thing to hear.

']I partially disagree.

When predictions come from you or I' date=' you're right, they carry little to no weight.

But when they come from the guy that coached Shaun Alexander during his prime, it does retain validity and merit, even in March.

Something tells me that John Gruden isn't saying "I think Cadillac, or Warrick Dunn, or Michael Pittman, or Earnest Graham can be an 1,800 yd back."

Hell, they'd be lucky to combine for 1,500 yds.

This is a good thing to hear.[/quote']

OK, I see that. But he sure isnt going to say, "Man CP is just struggling out there. We'll be lucky if he gets 800 yards."

I just take predictions for what they are to me, wishes and hopes.

wonder if he means rush yards only or combined with receiving? combined last year he had 1650 total yards...oh man if he could get that in rushing alone, he could end up with 2300+ total yards on the season!

Wow that would be amazing, hope it happens! :cheers:

I think he meant 1,800 rushing and 1,800 receiving.

And I think he can do it!

:dj:

thats what the blurb said, an 1800 yd back, nothing bout 1800 rushing yds
']I know' date=' I know.....it's still fun to pretend that he meant rushing yards though! lol.

~HTTR~[/quote'] eh im only dreaming but it's possible! :point2sky

I don't understand the optimism if we're not changing our blocking schemes.

What would change? The linemen up front? Portis' running style?

Great to hear but I'd like to see them expand upon the schemes, because they didn't seem all that efficient. The YPC were too low.

Well the air attack should make defense more honest for one. We should have our real starting O line back. Portis has a new coach that might teach him things to improve his game. Portis is losing weight to be quicker. So all that will have changed.

HAIL!

Didn't Coach Byner predict 2,000 yards for Portis 2 years ago? Jinxed him!

Yes he did but there is 1 great thing the Redskins have going for them in the first year under Zorn and that is not 1 team in the NFL has any game film to study so for the first year every team will be guessing as to what schemes to use against us so yes i believe he could get 1800 yards. Also with gibbs the teams had 4 years of gibbs 2 to study so they were better prepared to play us . Hail ;)

Archived