Extremeskins

" Draft becomes most likely route to fill WR need " ~ ~ ~

kelly

March 19, 2008

Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ Washington

March 19, 2008

Draft becomes most likely route to fill WR need

The coaching staff might say that TE Chris Cooley is primed for his best season yet, or that Santana Moss has played like a No. 1 wideout before. They might even pump up the potential of Billy McMullen, who was added in January, or a trio of young wideouts (Anthony Mix, Burl Toler and Maurice Mann), one of whom might step up to earn a roster spot. But the fact remains — as head coach Jim Zorn iterated at the Combine — that the Redskins need an upgrade at receiver. Although the free-agent market appears dried up with Bryant Johnson and D.J. Hackett having picked other teams, and the trade market might be more hype than substance, the draft class is fairly strong at the WR position. The team will consider using a first-round pick on a receiver, but there could be better value down the line a bit. Either way, as it stands now, receiver is a top-three position need for the draft.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfceast

m_b58dcecdaefcf7df48ddd4f90f5eb1cd.jpg

Now we saw an unfortunate cost of not going after Hackett harder.

What unfortunate cost is that? Building through draft? Getting a player just as good, who is younger, won't have the health problems and injury concerns, and, assuming anything but 1st round pick, is MUCH cheaper?

We need to stop relying on old or injury prone players. There is a very good possibility we could have signed him, and he would have spent better part of season injured.

I say go young, and develop talent.

Hackett isn't TO or Jerry Rice. We can easily draft a receiver as good or better in 2nd round.

And this is a direct quote from who in the Redskins camp?

Its not, but with the absence of any good WR prospect in FA, and Zorn/Cerrato already saying that we want to add a Big WR, then its easy to assume that we're going to draft one. Just depends where.

]']Its not' date=' but with the absence of any good WR prospect in FA, and Zorn/Cerrato already saying that we want to add a Big WR, then its easy to assume that we're going to draft one. Just depends where.[/quote']

(Not starting a debate)... I have no problem with drafting a receiver in either rounds, particularly the first, but I want the best/ or complimentary-type of receiver selected.

Does anyone know what pay rate for a 21st pick is?

I could be wrong, but something tells me, we go OL with our first-rounder.

(Not starting a debate)... I have no problem with drafting a receiver in either rounds, particularly the first, but I want the best/ or complimentary-type of receiver selected.

Does anyone know what pay rate for a 21st pick is?

I could be wrong, but something tells me, we go OL with our first-rounder.

I believe that about after the 15th pick, the money isn't as outrageous as it seems to be in teh top 10.

Last year's 21st pick signed a 5 Year, $13.1 Million Contract, with $7 Million guaranteed.

According to UltimateJaguar.com, Reggie Nelson's contract was:

[A]nd Nelson agreed to terms on a five-year deal later that night. Nelson's total package, including escalators if he meets certain goals, is in the $13.1 million range, with $7.1 million guaranteed.

Archived