Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nose hurts like a biatch! (update 23/3/08)

ZoEd

So it's four in the AM and my nose is killing me. Went to the doc a few months back and he referred me to an ENT doc. Evidently I had a deviated setpum and my turbo something or others were enlarged. Due to this I snore horribly, don't get good enough sleep and it kills me running because I can't breathe through my nose at all. Hopefully he was able to fix that yesterday.

Doc went in, straightened my septum, reduced the size of my turbo whatevers and put what they call batton graphs on the inside of my nose to keep it from sucking the outsides in when I breathe. My nose is kind of crooked and he wanted to fix that while he was in there but I chose not to. I've been living with a crooked nose for over 20 years and can't afford to be much better looking than I already am. :D

Anyway, the pain is no freaking joke. Feels like my nose is the size of a grapefruit, it's constantly draining out of the front and down the back of my throat. Just a royal pain in the ass. Honestly it doesn't hurt as bad as I expected but it still isn't very enjoyable. Funny thing is I can breathe better now, with the splints in, than I did before. I'm pretty optomistic about the long term outcome. :applause:

On the bright side, brother has 45 Vicodin to help me feel all better. :D:cheers:

Remember...that "Do not take with alcohol" label on the Vicodin....that's a direct challenge to your manhood. :)

I'm off of work and enjoying some vicodin also, here's to the military healthcare system. :cheers:

Finally got them to believe me when I said I'm allergic to percocet, it makes me itch like a mother F'er. Since then it's nothing but Vicodin. Oh happy days, oh happy days! Gotta love it! :cheers: Can't have alcohol with all this bleeding though. I'll definitely have a little ****tail when it slows down. ;)

Finally got them to believe me when I said I'm allergic to percocet, it makes me itch like a mother F'er. Since then it's nothing but Vicodin.

Weird, I'm allergic to Percocet too. Used to get it everytime I had a surgery, after the 3rd or 4th surgery I took it, got nauseous, and itched like crazy. Must have developed an allergy to it over time.

Sounds like your quality of life is about to get a lot better, Dave, and I don't just mean the, uh, recreation. ;)

You take care, bud, and get healed up. I hope you get the results you were after.

Oh, and if you're not gonna need your turbo-whatevers, can I have 'em for my car? :silly:

Feel better, man. :cheers:

Weird, I'm allergic to Percocet too. Used to get it everytime I had a surgery, after the 3rd or 4th surgery I took it, got nauseous, and itched like crazy. Must have developed an allergy to it over time.

Same here, not to mention the perc's always made me feel hung over and never made the pain go away just tired. Vicodin, now that's the good stuff. Nice little numbness and I can still function. Oh yea :cheers:

HH, thanks for the well wishes buddy. As far as my turbo whatevers, you can have em but they sure did make a lot of noise.

Funny thing about this whole ordeal is they didn't pack anything in my nose. Don't know about the coke ;) but no gauze, just splints. So, they gave me this contraption that hooks behind each ear like a surgical mask.... screw it I'll post a pick. Needless to say the blood pours out the front and back. Pretty gross, I guess it's like having a maxi pad instead of tampons shoved up my nose.

I had the same surgery in September of this past year, plus I had mye uvula (little thing hanging in the throat) removed and my palate reduced. The nose was the EASY part for me. The throat was a beeatch. I lost over 20 pounds after this surgery. The doctor was talking about your Turbinates. I have no idea what they are. He chose not to pack my nose, but to cauterize them. I bled like the dickens in the hospital which was supposed to be in and out surgery, but he chose to keep my overnight for a 23 hour stay. Good luck, it WILL get better. I can't even FAKE snore now.

I had the surgery last March. Doc said maybe 1 out of a 200 surgeries were as severe as mine. I was in really bad shape. My right nostril was 90% closed. He said my nose was broken at least twice when I was younger. I'm guessing during wrestling in HS. Here's a nice pic of how I looked 5 days after surgery. Hot I know.

My nose was never swollen like that. He never packed it as he said he didn't like that approach. He put a couple of splints inside to hold the nose and I really didn't even know they were there until he pulled them out 2 weeks later.

The throat was the worst for me. I thought I'd never be able to swallow food again. It was painful. He gave me some throat number that helped at first, but then wore off. He told me I was one of his fastest healers. My pain medicine was liquid since I couldn't really swallow. Nasty stuff. But, it was worth it. I was about 90% blocked on my left side. I never knew I could breathe this well out of my nose.

I've had 2 colds since the surgery and I still can't get stopped up on either side. Before the surgery, I always felt stopped up and was constantly blowing my nose on the left side. Nary a drip now.

I had the same surgery in September of this past year, plus I had mye uvula (little thing hanging in the throat) removed and my palate reduced. The nose was the EASY part for me. The throat was a beeatch. I lost over 20 pounds after this surgery. The doctor was talking about your Turbinates. I have no idea what they are. He chose not to pack my nose, but to cauterize them. I bled like the dickens in the hospital which was supposed to be in and out surgery, but he chose to keep my overnight for a 23 hour stay. Good luck, it WILL get better. I can't even FAKE snore now.

Sounds like the exact same thing I had done. No packing in the nose, just a manpon under my nose. My Doc says he likes to do these things in steps. Step one is the nose, if that doesn't work uvula and tonsils. The snoring isn't the worse thing for me it's the way it affects my running. I can't run and breathe through my nose because I feel like I can't get enough air. When I run and try to breathe through my nose I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate. I've done a bunch of research online and it's amazing how much it affects your ability to run. I'm really hoping this will increase my cardio.

Have you tried to run since your surgery?

I had the surgery last March. Doc said maybe 1 out of a 200 surgeries were as severe as mine. I was in really bad shape. My right nostril was 90% closed. He said my nose was broken at least twice when I was younger. I'm guessing during wrestling in HS. Here's a nice pic of how I looked 5 days after surgery. Hot I know.

Ouch! That's what I expected mine to look like but I have very little swelling and since I didn't care about fixing the appearance everything was inside. My septum had one side almost completely blocked and my turbinates were pretty enlarged; all in all I had use of about 20% of my nose.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36390

thats where they got the idea for that movie penelope...

sorry man, had to go there. :D

My nose was never swollen like that. He never packed it as he said he didn't like that approach. He put a couple of splints inside to hold the nose and I really didn't even know they were there until he pulled them out 2 weeks later.

The throat was the worst for me. I thought I'd never be able to swallow food again. It was painful. He gave me some throat number that helped at first, but then wore off. He told me I was one of his fastest healers. My pain medicine was liquid since I couldn't really swallow. Nasty stuff. But, it was worth it. I was about 90% blocked on my left side. I never knew I could breathe this well out of my nose.

I've had 2 colds since the surgery and I still can't get stopped up on either side. Before the surgery, I always felt stopped up and was constantly blowing my nose on the left side. Nary a drip now.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the throat. The doc told me he had no choice but to pack it. He said with the amount of cutting they did, the bleeding would be too much not too.

I have never experienced pain like I did when they took the packing out. I would rather let Mike Tyson punch me in the face 10 times then go through that again. he had to pull it out very very slowly. There was like 3 feet or so of it if I remember right. He had to stop every inch or so because it hurt so bad.

Well worth it though. For 10 years, I had severe headaches every day most of the day. It was worth it but those to weeks were awful.

Sounds like the exact same thing I had done. No packing in the nose, just a manpon under my nose. My Doc says he likes to do these things in steps. Step one is the nose, if that doesn't work uvula and tonsils. The snoring isn't the worse thing for me it's the way it affects my running. I can't run and breathe through my nose because I feel like I can't get enough air. When I run and try to breathe through my nose I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate. I've done a bunch of research online and it's amazing how much it affects your ability to run. I'm really hoping this will increase my cardio.

Have you tried to run since your surgery?

I don't run because of shin splints, but when I do cardio at the gym, I can keep my mouth closed and not even worry about trying to breathe real hard. You will notice a big difference in about 6 to 8 weeks which is the normal healing time to get back to normal. My wife has been thankful.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the throat. The doc told me he had no choice but to pack it. He said with the amount of cutting they did, the bleeding would be too much not too.

I have never experienced pain like I did when they took the packing out. I would rather let Mike Tyson punch me in the face 10 times then go through that again. he had to pull it out very very slowly. There was like 3 feet or so of it if I remember right. He had to stop every inch or so because it hurt so bad.

Well worth it though. For 10 years, I had severe headaches every day most of the day. It was worth it but those to weeks were awful.

I had it done for several reasons. Snoring, breathing, headaches and High Blood Pressure. The Snoring is gone. Breathing is better. High BP has come down a little, but not as much as I wanted. I guess it's hereditary. I used to get these headaches with an AURA in my eye. I squiggly line that would start in the center and move to the outside. When it disappeared, the excrutiating headache would start. Doc said this may or may not get rid of them. IT DIDN'T! :( Something I guess I'll have to live with. Thankfully I get only about 4 or 5 a year. I have Immatrex to take immediately when I see one coming on and it helps with no pain.

Rough night last night, decided to scratch my nose in my sleep. Big mistake. I'm hoping I didn't break anything loose. Trying to stay off the vicodin cause I'd like to have a bowel movement sometime soon. Man this third day has been rough. Hopefully things will turn for the better soon.

I knew I shouldn't open this thread. I'm having surgery on mine in about two or three weeks - same thing and even more.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't hurt as bad as I expected. My buddy had his packed and he told me the miles of gauze they packed in there made he wish for death when they pulled it out. Hope your not having it packed. :doh: Anyway, I'm a hard head. I push the envelope and do just about everything I'm not supposed to do. Not to mention the fact I'm trying not to be a Zombie so I'm laying off the Vicodin as much as I can. My shoulder surgery was a hell of a lot worse for me than my nose.

It already appears to be worth it. I'm able to get more air in through my nose even with the splints in than I was able to get before. :applause: I know when it's all said and done it's going to improve my QoL big time.

Dude. You have no idea. I had been having severe sinus headaches daily for like 3 years until I finally went to the doctor about it. I couldn't even breathe through my nose, literally.

It turned out that my top sinuses on the left and right side were TOTALLY closed off. Like the tissue had grown together. On top of that I had a huge cyst in my lower right sinus cavity. AND on top of that I had a deviated septum. I had surgery about a year ago and now I can breathe great. No headaches anymore, either.

Then I watched a similar surgery on the Health channel a couple months ago. I almost puked. :laugh:

Dude. You have no idea. I had been having severe sinus headaches daily for like 3 years until I finally went to the doctor about it. I couldn't even breathe through my nose, literally.

It turned out that my top sinuses on the left and right side were TOTALLY closed off. Like the tissue had grown together. On top of that I had a huge cyst in my lower right sinus cavity. AND on top of that I had a deviated septum. I had surgery about a year ago and now I can breathe great. No headaches anymore, either.

Then I watched a similar surgery on the Health channel a couple months ago. I almost puked. :laugh:

Tons of success stories, I'm liking it. :applause: Can't wait till I get into the recovery stage and start reaping the benefits.

Archived