Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs at the Racetrack

DCchillin89

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Joe Gibbs and the work he did in his second stint, but during his retirement speech, he spoke of wanting to spend more time with his family and to get away from the whole sport thing.

Because of his words, I was frustrated to see him on fox coaching the Joe Gibbs Racing team. I don't want to call Joe Gibbs a liar and I want to shoot down the notion that he gave up on the Redskins. and I know that managing a nascar team is nowhere near as stressful as coaching in Washington. Again, I appreciate the reasons Joe gave as he resigned from the Redskins, but it's a little hurtful to see him on the sidelines again so quickly after he left.

It's kind of like your girlfriend, who after vowing not to see anyone immediately after a breakup, is seen with another guy.

You're kinda hurt, but you respect his decision.

Thoughts?

I am a BIG Joe Gibbs Fan at heart!!!!!!!! As much as I respect him and Love the fact that he may have pointed the organization in the right direction once again, :notworthy I can't help but to feel deep inside that he Quit on this team twice. I know I will take a beating for wording it like this :doh: but he left both times before is contract obligations were filled. :2cents:

Joe Gibbs owns those race teams, so as far as I'm concerned, he can do whatever he wants with them. Is he supposed to stay locked down in his house because he doesn't coach anymore? It's a family business so he probably spends time with his family at the racetrack. Joe never had to come back in the first place, so he doesn't owe us anything. It's time to move on.

first off i too was highly dissapointed with joe when a week after his resignation he was already starting his involvement with his race team.

but i have another opinion of what may have really happened with his resignation. dan and joe would prolly never say it in public but i think joe was prolly asked to resign. with all the game management issues and some of the costly mistakes.... i hate to say but joe had lost a step. then he lost in the paloffs to the same team 2x in 3 years. my bet is one of the guys dan was wanting to fill the spot didnt happen to work out and dan was in a quagmire, but never the less i do believe joe was asked to step down and it was only reported that joe resigned because we all know fedex field would have gone up in flames had yall known locally that joe was actually fired!!

i love joe, obviously by my name, but i think he had done all he could do this time. he gave us 4 years of righting this sinkin ship and now hopefully we can sail into the sunset with a team that has recovered from the spurrier tragedy in half the time it would have, had joe not come home!!

so, thanks joe, have a good time with your family and your race team and we will all see you and sean on the flip side someday!

Coming back to the Skins was a hell of a deal for Gibbs.... what was his contract again? $5 million a year? So after taxes lets say he had maybe an extra $14 million or so that he could sink back into his race team. The man is smart. The 2nd stint with the Skins didn't go too well but his new partnership with Toyota should be dominating soon with all the resources they can combine. The race team is the family business and you can't fault the man for looking out for his family.

You guys are retarded.

First, you dont prepare any for a race - not as much as football

Second, you dont look at hours of game film

Third, you dont run grueling practices

Fourth, you dont have to look at your roster 24/7/365 to make sure you have the best

The man went through hell and back this past year, let him do what the **** he wants - he's deserved that.

but i have another opinion of what may have really happened with his resignation. dan and joe would prolly never say it in public but i think joe was prolly asked to resign. with all the game management issues and some of the costly mistakes.... i hate to say but joe had lost a step. then he lost in the paloffs to the same team 2x in 3 years. my bet is one of the guys dan was wanting to fill the spot didnt happen to work out and dan was in a quagmire, but never the less i do believe joe was asked to step down and it was only reported that joe resigned because we all know fedex field would have gone up in flames had yall known locally that joe was actually fired!!

You're pretty off on this one. Snyder is/was a huge Gibbs fan and desperately wanted him to come back. Yes he made a few mistakes, but he took a team that had a huge number of injuries and overcame the Taylor tragedy to the playoffs, and I don't think anyone really think this team underachieved this year so there was no reason for asking him to resign based on performance.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Joe Gibbs and the work he did in his second stint, but during his retirement speech, he spoke of wanting to spend more time with his family and to get away from the whole sport thing.

Because of his words, I was frustrated to see him on fox coaching the Joe Gibbs Racing team. I don't want to call Joe Gibbs a liar and I want to shoot down the notion that he gave up on the Redskins. and I know that managing a nascar team is nowhere near as stressful as coaching in Washington. Again, I appreciate the reasons Joe gave as he resigned from the Redskins, but it's a little hurtful to see him on the sidelines again so quickly after he left.

It's kind of like your girlfriend, who after vowing not to see anyone immediately after a breakup, is seen with another guy.

Thoughts?

You do realize his race team is a family business, right?

Their family goes to the races....they spend the week in North Carolina and fly-in for the weekend.

So when he's at the race, he's with his family.

He couldn't do that coaching the Redskins.

Besides, Gibbs doesn't "coach" the race team.....his son does.

Joe Gibbs is the owner.

He's not doing the work.

It's a drastic difference from coaching the Redskins.

Go to joegibbsonline.com listen to his message. He says that racing takes up as much time as football did. When i hear that i believe there was something wierd about him leaving. Family is first, but it seems like it may have been an excuse to get away from Danny boy or some other reason we might never know?!? Still Joe's greatness will never be taken away because of this go to Skins park and look through the windows and you will see his handy work 3 trophies.

Go to joegibbsonline.com listen to his message. He says that racing takes up as much time as football did. When i hear that i believe there was something wierd about him leaving. Family is first, but it seems like it may have been an excuse to get away from Danny boy or some other reason we might never know?!? Still Joe's greatness will never be taken away because of this go to Skins park and look through the windows and you will see his handy work 3 trophies.

I'm sure he is just saying that.

Running a Nascar team takes about 1/8th of the time per week as a Football team during the season. I can't imagine he stays up till 3 AM watching video of his opposition every night.

P.S. Who thought of Ricky Bobby when Busch mentioned going fast?

let Gibbs do his thing.....i cant blame him for retiring after everything he went though...also he prolly has .01 of the amount of stress he had coaching the skins, football is out for him and racing is in....deal with it, COACH GIBBS IS NOT THE ONLY COACH THAT CAN LEAD THIS TEAM TO THE SUPERBOWL GUYS!

The skins have gone to the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons. He didnt give up on the team. You could say that he gave up if they were below .500. he's just getting old and this past season took alot out of him. He stuck with the team throughought the coaching search and was there to bring in Jim Zorn.

I choose to think that he risked his legacy and sacrificed his time with his family and sick grandson to help the people of Washington. His leaving a year early, does not atke away from the sacrifice he made for this area.

He got paid, but he would have gotten paid with Nascar. The idea that he quit on us, I believe is selfish and does not take the entire situation into account.

This franchise and city was going to endure more Spurrier. Ramsey was getting killed. Stephen Davis was let go, and we were going to get more of the same.

Gibbs stepped up and righted the ship, took us to the playoffs, taught Snyder how to run a team, and left due to family and personal health problems. He came back with diabetes at an advanced age. Him leaving a year early was his right.

Joe is a workaholic x 2. Nothing wrong with that, and it is hard to change that in someone. Here in DC he was not close to home/family. In NC he is; he sleeps next to his wife at night. He can go see his family easily, then head over to the track. He can also do all the little things that he missed out on in DC, see his grandkids for an hour, eat dinner with someone, etc....Only he can change his hours and work ethic (which I doubt he ever will, he is DRIVEN at everything).

I think there was more behind the retirement than stated, but we will never know. I think there was a lot of strain, which would be very hard at this age. I also think we were so bad off, that he came in to stabilize the organization and get the FO/owner some help. The strain of the job, his age, and the emotional toll of the Sean Taylor murder was too much. He felt he got most of his goals accomplished and had to move on for his own sanity.

Thoughts?

AND THIS IS ALWAYS WHY I THOUGHT JOE WAS "FIRED" BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, BUT TOLD THE WORLD HE WAS RETIRING. IMO.

Archived