Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles cut Takeo Spikes

chow184

Who in here has played football past the highschool level?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who in here has played football past the highschool level?

Confirmed:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=15199

Eagles Release Veteran LB Spikes

March 6, 2008 | Last Updated: 3/6/08 1:54 PM ET | Comments (0)

By: CHRIS McPHERSON

2008 Free Agency Coverage

The Eagles announced on Thursday that they have released veteran weakside linebacker Takeo Spikes.

A 10-year NFL veteran, Spikes spent the 2007 season with the Eagles and finished second on the team with 139 tackles and also had one sack in 14 games. Spikes missed the final two games of the season with a torn rotator cuff.

I already confirmed it for you, "son."

:laugh:

I didn't think that the Spikes signing last year for the Eagles was a good one at all and it looks like a year on, they finally realize it.

He'll be good depth for a team in need of a LB.

Spikes was solid for the Eagles,but the Achilles injury took some of his athleticism away and even then those take a year or two to rehab from.

Spikes can definitely start in the NFL still,but teams will be shy to show him any money.

he was due a large salary and the eagles have youth at LB.

skins should look at him for depth IMO if he'd sign a cheap/incentive laden contract

why would we want Spikes?

We have a good LB core and dont need some big name/ego/contract to come in here and mess up that nucleus..

I didn't think that the Spikes signing last year for the Eagles was a good one at all and it looks like a year on, they finally realize it.

He'll be good depth for a team in need of a LB.

Well, he improved the LB play last year without a doubt. So that was an upgrade.

we also traded away a draft pick. Before the season started we traded Holcomb to Minnesota for the same pick (except, since Minnesota finished behind us, we actually improved a little).

It's basically just as if we cut Darwin Walker last year.

I'm certain that Redskins fans understand what is happening here. So, for our football knowledge challenged eagles fans, here is what this means...

$5 million in instant cap space has been created. This is the beginning of an effort to land one larry fitzgerald.

potentially,but even then the eagles had plenty of cap room to play with

eagles will probably frontload the contract should they ever get their hands on him.

I'm certain that Redskins fans understand what is happening here. So, for our football knowledge challenged eagles fans, here is what this means...

$5 million in instant cap space has been created. This is the beginning of an effort to land one larry fitzgerald.

Believe me, I understand how it all works.

My suddenly pronounced Restless Leg Syndrome is a primary indicator of this fact.

If Spikes is healthy, he's a good starting option.

Takeo reminds me a HELL of a lot of LaVar Arrington.

Although, if I'm gambling on an injury prone linebacker to start or back up for me, I think I'm looking at Dan Morgan first.

Believe me, I understand how it all works.

My suddenly pronounced Restless Leg Syndrome is a primary indicator of this fact.

:laugh:

Seriously though, Spikes would be a great player for any team. 139 tackles and 1 sack in 14 games. Sounds a lot like what London Fletcher did for the Skins this year. He coould probably be had for a sensible deal coming off two surgeries in two years(achilles/rotator cuff).

']Wasn't surprising. As was mentioned' date=' he was due a large amount of money. Maybe it was done to make room for a larger contract that is coming in soon? I hope not.[/quote']

Please God, let's pray not. But then again, Philly will probably lose quite a few draft picks if this were to happen. I just don't see how they get it done, but I'm usually wrong, so...........:)

I wonder if your SuperBowl Champion Giants would be interested after losing Kawika? (Damn, that "SuperBowl Champion" thing really pained me to say. I think I'm getting dizzy):silly:

The Eagles made this move to to create space for a bigger move. When do they cut players? During TC. They cut Trotter after TC last year. Bradley or Gaither could fall in the shower today and break their leg so why wouldn't they atleast wait until TC to cut him? Its pretty obvious they are up to something.

If Spikes is healthy, he's a good starting option.

Takeo reminds me a HELL of a lot of LaVar Arrington.

Although, if I'm gambling on an injury prone linebacker to start or back up for me, I think I'm looking at Dan Morgan first.

I'll laugh at any team that signs Morgan. That guy can get a concussion sneezing.

The Eagles made this move to to create space for a bigger move. When do they cut players? During TC. They cut Trotter after TC last year. Bradley or Gaither could fall in the shower today and break their leg so why wouldn't they atleast wait until TC to cut him? Its pretty obvious they are up to something.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Something big is coming because the timing of this cut is wierd.

On that note, as the guys on Sirius NFL radio said, watch Spikes get re-signed by the Eagles next week to a different deal that will allow htem to keep him and a future WR *cough* Fitzgerald *cough*.

Archived