Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dumb rumors of 2008 NFL offseason

artmonkforHOF

Post the dumbest rumor you have heard regarding this offseason. Links would be helpful but not neccessary.

It seems that now we are in the information age, all those stupid rumors, dreams or fantasy's fans have and that used to be conifined to local radio call in shows or discussed over a beverage or two in a bar, are now being broadcast throughout the internet. Media companies can get away with posting these things because they list them as "rumors" and not reports- kinda sneaky if you ask me. Although some of the rumors might turn out to be true, some of them are really, really stupid. It almost seems like media outlets prefer to post these outrageous rumors in hopes of generating more readers/viewers/page hits. I've got 2 to start:

1: randy Moss & Daunte Culpepper will re-unite in FA with a team to try and finsh what they started in MIN.- you really think a team looking for a #1 WR like Moss is also looking for a #1 QB? and even if they where, Daunte would not be on the list of #1 QB's at thsi point in his career.

2: Brady Quinn should ask for a trade to the Packers-WHAT???? The Packers need a VETERAN QB, not another young guy who has not started a game in the NFL. the 3 QB's on GB roster right now have appeared in a total of 7 NFL games- and all of those belong to Aaron Rodgers. Brunell & Byron Letwich have a better shot of landing in GB this year than Quinn.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Brady-Quinn-should-consider-asking-for-trade-to-;_ylt=At6sD2.GG8XQsmyDpn7EPc45nYcB?urn=nfl,70412

It's a known fact - Cowpukes are horrible. Wait let me guess what you will come back with

"We have 5 super bowls"

Well ok we have 3 super bowls and 2 NFL titles. So I would like to say we are even on championships. If that isnt good enough for you then hey you guys have been 2 playoffs 2 years in a row and havent won! And to stretch it further you guys havent won a playoff game in 12 years!!!!

And your QB is a choker!

']It is actually the internet that contributes to there really being no offseason. It has only helped to make the NFL even more popular. That and it created fantasy football.

I am kinda glad. Gives me something to do inbetween SB and training camp.

does get a little overwhelming though at times.

Facts...you say. You say you want FACTS!

12 Years since you guys won a playoff game

1st #1 NFC team to lose the NFC Divisional game in 17 years

That good enough for you?

No.

Owens was the #1 WR in dropped passes the year before.

Tony Homo chokes in the playoffs.

Tony Homo can't hold on to the football - and you want PROVEN facts on that ok

Homo.gifHomo2.gifFumbledSnap.gif

Enough facts for you?

It's quite simple how these "rumors" get started.

Let's say-the Skins make WR their priority. So........they make a list of names, and VC puts Chad Johnson on their list on an Excel Spreadsheet. Even though it's LOW on the chart(as the Skins are weighing all their angles, and nothing more), let's say the cleaning lady or some low level employee stumbles on it, or let's say one of the FO guy's tells his wife that CJ is just MERELY being considered.

Then word gets out, somehow and out of context, that the Skins are looking into CJ. And as it passes from ear to ear, it slowly, but surely, gets blown way out of context as people are just using their own logic..."Hmmmmmmm........the Skins have sold the farm before on big named players et al, so it's obvious they're doing it on Chad". So VOILA...the "rumors" of "Chad going to DC" get widespread.

It's just like me at work-sometimes I'll say some passing word to a co-worker, then as it somehow goes around, it boomerangs to me a week later, and I'm like..."I said THAT?? Word for WORD??".:doh:

']It is actually the internet that contributes to there really being no offseason. It has only helped to make the NFL even more popular. That and it created fantasy football.

Fantasy football has been around for a long time man.

It's a little different and more widespread, but I know a guy that rode Sammy Baugh to his league championship.

Here's one from our own board.

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241581

Betts and a first rounder for Boldin? No way Zona lets go of Boldin, and even if they did, it would take more than Betts and a first rounder.

That wasn't a rumor, so much as a wish.

If we want to consider that thread as a rumor, we ought to throw in "Trade Portis for picks and Draft McFadden!"

Archived