Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Nobody Talking About Arman Shields?

Going Commando

I'm completely perplexed as to why almost none of the legions of sports media at the NFL combine are not talking about what an incredible combine Arman Shields just had.

Some background on Arman: He is a 6'1 wide receiver prospect from Washington D.C. that goes to college at the University of Richmond with me. He is an outstanding player, he was very productive in his career before he got hurt for all but one game of his senior season. But almost as importantly, his performance at the combine showed that he is an incredible athlete easily on par with any of the rest of the receivers who worked out. No other receiver managed to finish in the top 7 of every single category of work outs nfl.com lists. As I posted in another thread, his performance in these work outs saw him finish:

7th among wr's in the 40: 4.44 seconds

T 7th in the bench press: 19 reps

T 2nd in the vertical jump: 37.5 inches

2nd in the broad jump: 10'8"

2nd in the 3 cone drill: 6.67 seconds

1st in the 20 yard shuttle: 3.96 seconds

1st in the 60 yard shuttle: 10.87 seconds

Arman had arguably the best performance of any receiver at the combine with only Keenan Burton and Eddie Royal beginning to approach him in the level of success they achieved against the competition--Yet no one has written anything about him despite there being reportedly over 400 different media personnel at the combine. Todd McShay at ESPN is the exception, he wrote a small paragraph about him. But McShay is a Richmond Alumnus so I would never have forgiven him if he hadn't mentioned Arman.

Arman is a good guy and is very bright--Richmond is a tough school. His injury this past year was unfortunate, but I have seen how good of a player he is over the past three seasons. He and Tim Hightower were almost always the best players on the field every game. Plus, I don't think that he has the ego and personal character problems that some of these other diva receivers from big schools have. Add to that the fact that he is just as good of an athlete as they are anyway. I think Arman will be a successful NFL player and a gem for the team that drafts him.

That's exactly my point. It's the sports media's job to tell us who guys like this are, especially in light of his performance yesterday. Clearly they aren't doing their job if they are ignoring how good he was.

Well you've informed us. That's part of the reason this message board exists. Don't worry about the media too much, they'll report on what they want to report on.:2cents:

He tore his PCL against Northeastern in the second game. I don't know anything about knee injuries, but I think the PCL isn't as bad to tear as some of the other ligaments. This is what a Richmond Times Dispatch article quoted about his injury:

"According to Chris Jones, UR's director of sports medicine and football trainer, 'You can operate, but normally you don't. Most PCL injuries heal non-surgically because of the blood flow to the ligament. He may have a little more laxity or play in the knee but usually it doesn't alter a person's function. He should be able to have no long-term effects from it.'"

The game was at Northeastern so I didn't see it happen. But the week before it happened he went for 12 receptions and over a hundred yards against Vanderbilt.

Here is a link to the Times Dispatch article about him:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-20-0097.html

I posted this same info in the WR 3-5 round thread that is still in the front page, because if this guy is drafted it would be one of those rounds. I just didn't think it deserved it's own thread because he is a WAY late round pick

here is an interesting note I just found. The last player invited to the combine was Shawn barber who the Redskins drafted in the 4th round in the 98 draft.

Apparantly Richmond does not produce to many NFL players

Shields went to a speed camp and did nothing but work on combine drills, where as serious contenders probably did not

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-20-0097.html

He's a talented guy," said Scott Campbell, the Redskins' director of pro personnel. "He's a local guy and we're keeping track of him. It helps that he's been a kickoff returner, but that's not the biggest thing. He's probably someone who will go in the second half of the draft."

1. Div 1AA

2. His stats don't jump out at you when you look at them

3. How you perform is not all about the combine.

4. He was just injured. They are going nuts about that guy Dorsey's tibia, and he played normally with it. This guy missed his sr. season. Thats a big difference...

I don't know why there's so much hostility. Its a local player who is working his arse off and who will no doubt be turning some heads.

Many times in the draft... the only time you see NFL team leadership/ownership rave about a player's combine performance is when it helps them in draft strategy. They talk up a player like they want him, then pass them up on draft day.

Trash talking someone because they represent a small college is dumb. There are plenty of productive players in the nfl who came from smaller schools and excelled. FE: London Fletcher and the Green Machine.

If his hands are solid, then it sounds like a great steal to be had in the draft.

I'm completely perplexed as to why almost none of the legions of sports media at the NFL combine are not talking about what an incredible combine Arman Shields just had.

Some background on Arman: He is a 6'1 wide receiver prospect from Washington D.C. that goes to college at the University of Richmond with me. He is an outstanding player, he was very productive in his career before he got hurt for all but one game of his senior season. But almost as importantly, his performance at the combine showed that he is an incredible athlete easily on par with any of the rest of the receivers who worked out. No other receiver managed to finish in the top 7 of every single category of work outs nfl.com lists. As I posted in another thread, his performance in these work outs saw him finish:

Arman had arguably the best performance of any receiver at the combine with only Keenan Burton and Eddie Royal beginning to approach him in the level of success they achieved against the competition--Yet no one has written anything about him despite there being reportedly over 400 different media personnel at the combine. Todd McShay at ESPN is the exception, he wrote a small paragraph about him. But McShay is a Richmond Alumnus so I would never have forgiven him if he hadn't mentioned Arman.

Arman is a good guy and is very bright--Richmond is a tough school. His injury this past year was unfortunate, but I have seen how good of a player he is over the past three seasons. He and Tim Hightower were almost always the best players on the field every game. Plus, I don't think that he has the ego and personal character problems that some of these other diva receivers from big schools have. Add to that the fact that he is just as good of an athlete as they are anyway. I think Arman will be a successful NFL player and a gem for the team that drafts him.

I played wit him in high school. He was on my team.

I love Arman Shields. Gonzaga guy who was overlooked because Doug Dutch (back up WR for Michigan) got all the attention. Was very skinny in high school and didn't get the recognition he probably should have received.

Has grown into his body very well and the numbers don't lie, he's fast as all get out. I've heard numbers thrown around on him being taken anywhere from 4th to 6th round.

]']He is pretty good. But Sweed put up better highlights against better competition.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Fln9FU4C0

He also had a better team better program and better exposure. The boy come out of nowhere and he still dominated with nothing at a low level. I like sweed but what it would take to pay him and pay Arman is alot less. And arman is more hungrier then sweed. This coming from a guy who grew up with him. Nobody never gave him nothing and he had to earn everything he got in his life. Dude is a straight out warrior. And we need warriors on this team.

Archived